Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:51 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,451,533 times

Advertisements

I would choose Hawaii because it is more varied.

They are both subpar tropical climates compared to South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 10:55 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post

Huh? Hawaii is far warmer than S. Florida in winter. Just look at Honolulu vs Miami. Where in S. Florida has an avg high of 80F and a low of 66F? No where. The ocean in Hawaii is warmer in winter. Not by much but still warmer. And the biggest diff of all is the stability of winter in Hawaii vs the chance of getting a 35F night in S. Florida. It happened only a few years ago in FL. In lowland Hawaii it has never happened.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Huh? Hawaii is far warmer than S. Florida in winter. Just look at Honolulu vs Miami. Where in S. Florida has an avg high of 80F and a low of 66F? No where.
Where in Hawaii averages 90 thunderstorm days per year? Nowhere.

Plus I like the variety. I would not be bothered by Miami's cold snaps.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:24 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,407,199 times
Canary Islands for me, because at least there is a bit of a cooler season, albeit never cool.

Also, there are very different climates on the islands.. but they are warmer than you think in summer. It is more like 86/72 temperatures in July and August as an average instead of 80. It is hot in summer, and the overhead sun makes it feel warmer. When I went for a week a few years ago there was a heatwave and it hit 105F there and it can be very unpleasant, especially with the dust that comes from the sahara

Old 03-07-2014, 11:36 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Hawaii for me, as it's generally wetter.

I did meet some aging hippyish types, that had lived on the Canaries for quite some time. They lived at altitude and somewhere lush. It sounded very nice.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:21 PM

513 posts, read 913,666 times
Quote:

Yeah, right. Except that South Florida is actually extra tropical, out of the tropics. Hawaii is IN the tropics, under the Tropic of Cancer, hello?!??!....

In Hawaii you can grow better, healthier and more tropical flora than you can in South Florida, since Hawaii NEVER sees cold snaps or freezes like South Florida. South Florida is nice, but is not tropical like Hawaii.

I'm sorry that upsets you.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
Yeah, right. Except that South Florida is actually extra tropical, out of the tropics. Hawaii is IN the tropics, under the Tropic of Cancer, hello?!??!....

In Hawaii you can grow better, healthier and more tropical flora than you can in South Florida, since Hawaii NEVER sees cold snaps or freezes like South Florida. South Florida is nice, but is not tropical like Hawaii.

I'm sorry that upsets you.
I am several times closer to Florida than Hawaii and real estate costs a fraction of the price, who's upset!?

Flora does not change the fact that Honolulu is a semi-arid hell hole.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:19 PM

513 posts, read 913,666 times
Quote:
I am several times closer to Florida than Hawaii and real estate costs a fraction of the price, who's upset!?

Flora does not change the fact that Honolulu is a semi-arid hell hole.
Who said anything about Honolulu? We are talking about Hawaii as a whole. If you want to pin point locations then I shall say that Kendall sucks. And FYI - Honolulu, just like many other tropical places, is only "semi-arid" near the coast. Honolulu contains various climatic regions, like the lush jungles of Manoa and Nu'uanu Valleys and the Ko'olau mountains (you guys don't have either in FL, {mountains or valleys}, just in case you thought you did), down to the sunny beaches of Waikiki.

See? Right there, tropical jungles, volcanoes and beaches all in one city. Imagine going to other places in Hawaii.

Now, don't get me wrong, Florida has some beautiful beaches, but I'd rather be sippin' a cold beer on a gorgeous Hawaiian beach surrounded by tall, green jagged mountains and aqua waters than sittin' in the flatness of FL.

To end the ridiculous discussion about South Florida being more tropical than Hawaii, Hawaii is in the tropics, Florida is not.

I hope this information does not upset you.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
To end the ridiculous discussion about South Florida being more tropical than Hawaii, Hawaii is in the tropics, Florida is not.

I hope this information does not upset you.
Do not try to change what I posted, I did not say it is more tropical I said it is the more desirable tropical climate between the two.

At any rate, here is a thunderstorm map from NOAA. I hope this information does not upset you.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:52 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
Madeira might be a better comaprison to Hawaii, not desertic like the Canaries but much more lush with high mountains. The landscape and vegetation make it almost a deadringer for Hawaii. Clmate is a bit cooler though.

The Canary Islands aren't all desert, like you seem to think.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather