U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 03:10 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,026,173 times

Advertisements

I like everyone to get what they want, so i'm going to try to help out you winter lovers a bit, but i'm still going to make sure i am happy as well. I'll give you winter lovers a decent amount of snow. However, i want it to be consistently warm during the spring and summer months. We aren't going to have bouts of chilly, rainy weather in months like May, June, September... etc. Months that should be warm, are going to stay warm.

So here goes: (Low/High/Precip/ Snow)

Jan: 21 34 2.0 14
Feb: 23 36 2.0 12
Mar: 32 49 2.0 4
Apr: 48 67 2.0
May: 58 77 2.0
June: 67 86 2.25 Dewpoint average 61
July: 69 88 2.25 Dewpoint average 62
August: 67 86 2.25 Dewpoint average 61
September: 61 79 1.75
October: 47 65 1.5
November: 39 56 2.0
December: 24 37 2.0 6

Average annual precip: 24 inches
Average annual snowfall: 36 inches
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 03:19 PM

15,336 posts, read 16,087,470 times
C

I appreciate your effort to bridge our differences, but the summers are too hot. While snow is on the light side, winters are still respectable as long as they're not like our region in warm years.

I think a better compromise for summers would be an average high in the mid to upper 70s and a low around 60 F. Is a sunny 77 F July afternoon really going to disappoint summer lovers?

Old 03-31-2012, 03:20 PM

22,256 posts, read 27,580,362 times
B-

Summers are obviously too warm but winters are decently cool and snowy. I wish it were MUCH wetter though. In fact, if it were much wetter I'd rate it higher for sure.

Was going to give it a C but I gave Braemar in the UK a B which has milder winters, so I thought it was only fair to give this a B-, even though summers are too warm.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,080 posts, read 49,376,731 times
Summers too warm; nice to see spring warm up quickly. Winters aren't all that snowy for a winter lover. I think my fix is a much better compromise:

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...y-climate.html

Old 03-31-2012, 04:45 PM

8,199 posts, read 8,062,493 times
Wow, awesome climate. It gets an A-. The only reason I didn't give it a plain A is because of the low precipitation. If it had 1.5x more it'd get an A and with 2x more it'd get an A+. But the temps are awesome, and I like these summer humidity levels. Not bone-dry but not consistently or overly humid.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the good rating!

Old 03-31-2012, 05:13 PM

5,593 posts, read 7,450,063 times
I really do appreciate your respect towards winter weather fans, but a compromise simply won't do because it will be unsatisfactory to all. Let's all remain in our own versions of paradise .

That said, I rate the climate quite poorly. The winters aren't all that bad, but I really don't like them. They're too warm, especially for low temperatures, and there's not nearly enough snow; it probably also rains frequently in wintertime. Spring is too early and way too warm. Autumn is too late and likewise too warm. Summers are too hot and too humid; however the primary problem are the nighttime lows, which are at a level of warmth I would detest. There not being any cool/rainy breaks from the heat further sink the rating.

In the end I give it a D+. My usual rating for the American subtropics is a D, but since it has better winters than is typical for them, I give it an additional +. I appreciate the olive branch, but it's just a lousy climate. I would like to point out that unlike some I don't mind the low precipitation (as long as it doesn't come with high sun hours). In fact it could even be somewhat lower than it is. If one has 15 inches of precipitation per year, with most of it coming in the form of snow, and that 15 inches is converted efficiently into high-ratio (powdery) snow, one could have much more snow than 36 inches. In fact one of my favorite climates, West Yellowstone, gets about that much moisture, which is enough to produce 160 inches of snow per year (and a lot of that moisture comes in the form of rain). This is a pattern common to western North America - your precip/snow pattern is reminiscent of the eastern U.S., which is neither surprising nor objectively wrong, seeing as that's what you're most familiar with. But if you haven't checked that out already you may like that pattern better than the one in Philadelphia.

It is interesting, however, that your main priority seems to be warmth in Spring, Summer, and Autumn, with the winter being less important. A sort of middle-of-the-road fantasy climate rating or battle might be interesting, but it needs to be more "creative" (for lack of a better term) and cooler than this one. Perhaps more unusual as well. I may start work on a "compromise" fantasy climate based more on Colorado's weather. For instance a winter with plenty of sunshine and warmth interspersed with periods when it gets very cold and then snows when it's at the trough of the cold snap may be part of a better compromise option than what you presented. Also perhaps a summer that is hot during the daytime but cools off to sleepable nights, and gets plenty of thunderstorms, interspersed with cool, dry periods may be a creative solution to a middle-of-the-road fantasy climate. As you can see one can create interesting, varied, and perhaps exotic climate options using this method, and it may be interesting. Plus who knows? Perhaps someone's dream climate features that sort of weather.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:13 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,880,697 times
D. I thought it was good when I read the lows as highs, but then I realized my mistake. Too warm all year, not enough snow.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
C

I appreciate your effort to bridge our differences, but the summers are too hot. While snow is on the light side, winters are still respectable as long as they're not like our region in warm years.

I think a better compromise for summers would be an average high in the mid to upper 70s and a low around 60 F. Is a sunny 77 F July afternoon really going to disappoint summer lovers?
Maybe i'll throw in another 10-15 inches of snow. Just not sure exactly what month i can dump them in. Overall precipitation would probably have to increase a good bit.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Summers too warm; nice to see spring warm up quickly. Winters aren't all that snowy for a winter lover. I think my fix is a much better compromise:

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...y-climate.html
I looked at your proposal. I can live with the extra snowfall. Not sure i can live with the rather cool spring and summer temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather