Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,954,387 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a pattern here, atleast in inland Victoria and NSW, where cold fronts in summer bring clear skies and full sunshine, while hotter days for some reason seem to be cloudy.

In NW Victoria this month (and in NE Vic, and the deserts of SW NSW), a series of antarctic fronts bought temps consistently 5-10C below average day and night, yet crystal clear skies in Mildura in NW Victoria, the "cloudiest" day during the first 15 days of the month recorded 10 hours of sunshine.... in this period there were only 6 days above 30C, with the rest in the mid 20's. (average high 33C). Sunshine hours were looking awesome, among the highest in Australia for the first half of the month.

Now, the second half of the month, things heat up, with every day since the 13th above 30C, but cloudiness has increased dramatically. Temps well into the 90's and into the 100's , but a marked increase in cloudiness with daily sun in the 3-5 hour range.... putting Mildura out of the sunshine race.

Shouldn't it be the other way around????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
I've noticed here that during hot and humid spells, it's rarely clear, usually partly cloudy, very hazy with a milky blue sky. The only time I ever see clear, deep blue skies is during colder periods, yesterday for example was stunning with visibility the greatest for a while allowing me to see places 40-50 miles away, whereas hot and humid weather tends to make visibility very low due to haze

Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Summers a bit less likely to have truly clear days due to humidity here. Your cloudiness seems a bit extreme though. We'll have hot, humid, and hazy spell and hot, dryish and clear spells. Usually it's difficult to get 90°F + weather when it's cloudy, though, more like mid 80s.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,938 times
I usually associate hot days with clear skies (last summer here was quite sunny and clear, and I think the smog problem where I live was worse in past years/the past decade, so it's improved at least in the recent few years). I associate hot and muggy with cloudiness, and while it may feel more sweaty and uncomfortable if the humidity gets extreme, that's not really absolute heat or high temperature.

As mentioned it seems to be uncommon for cloudiness to show up at temperatures into well into the 90s F. I have a hard time visualizing it going much past say 95F and fully overcast.

In fact, wonder what's the highest temperature it's been cloudy or even fully overcast at -- I'd be certainly surprised if a cloudy 105 F has ever been recorded, for instance.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:19 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,004,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I usually associate hot days with clear skies (last summer here was quite sunny and clear, and I think the smog problem where I live was worse in past years/the past decade, so it's improved at least in the recent few years). I associate hot and muggy with cloudiness, and while it may feel more sweaty and uncomfortable if the humidity gets extreme, that's not really absolute heat or high temperature.
I think you're thinking of the "extreme heat" or a purer heat, because even in a place that has humid summers like Toronto the hottest days will typically be much less muggy than your typical "hot, muggy day". Of course the drier conditions lead to clearer skies than the humider conditions.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I think you're thinking of the "extreme heat" or a purer heat, because even in a place that has humid summers like Toronto the hottest days will typically be much less muggy than your typical "hot, muggy day". Of course the drier conditions lead to clearer skies than the humider conditions.
I was thinking of the same. Since the thread title is cool and clear, that was probably not what the OP had in mind. I don't get truly cool days in the summer; usually highs in the mid 70s is about as low as typical day in the summer goes, though we do get a few low 70s days. The few "cool" days we get are either cool and clear with a deep blue sky typically from a cool dry Canadian air mass or completely cloudy and rainy. The latter days have little diurnal range so the daily average is at most slightly below average and a high dew point.

But many clear days are hot. Low dew points and high pressure produce hot clear days (> 86°F) and relatively cool nights. Usually love those days, but dislike the hot, hazy humid ones.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post

As mentioned it seems to be uncommon for cloudiness to show up at temperatures into well into the 90s F.
I have a hard time visualizing it going much past say 95F and fully overcast.

In fact, wonder what's the highest temperature it's been cloudy or even fully overcast at -- I'd be certainly surprised if a cloudy 105 F has ever been recorded, for instance.
I have seen a 36 C/96 F afternoon in Toronto, with 65% humidity and full overcast all day.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:03 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,673,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I have seen a 36 C/96 F afternoon in Toronto, with 65% humidity and full overcast all day.
Your location??? did you move

Old 02-26-2012, 01:48 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
Your location??? did you move
Okay more specifically the 36 C overcast day humid day was in Mississauga, probably 1999?
Funny the Weather Network said the humidex was 46 C at the time.

Yes, I did move again, just a few days ago though.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:50 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,673,511 times
This past summer We had a a few super hot days with temps around 34, but overcast so the humidex was around 47.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather