Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 06:26 AM

376 posts, read 240,280 times

Advertisements

Strictly biological speaking, it seems to me that the highland tropics is the best suited for human comfort and living. Most have adequate sunshine and rainfall without being OTT and has room temperature year-round (hardly any need for heating or air con). It makes sense because human beings originated from these lands (East Africa). Also, places such as San Diego mimic the temperature range quite a lot and its constantly voted as one of the best climates worldwide for human comfort. Although my favorite climates are humid subtropical such as Brisbane, I can't see anyone being down-right uncomfortable in the highland tropics tbh

I'd like to hear what you guys think tho. Do you agree with this or do you think other climates better fit human comfort?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 04:26 PM

99 posts, read 56,885 times
It's going to be the climate that resulted in the evolution of modern humans in the first place; aka tropical savanna.

All our features have come into place as a result of competition in the savanna. Bipedalism for walking long distances, fingers with greater dexterity and precision since they had no role in locomotion and allowing more demanding tool use, loss of thicker hair (fun fact: Homo Sapiens have as much hair as a chimpanzee, ours is just much thinner and shorter) to allow greater loss of heat while walking/running under the tropical sun, extreme stamina to outrun other animals, larger brains and more sophisticated social tendencies and bonds so tribes would survive better against other predators.

Humans had to modify themselves while leaving the savannah; wearing clothes. The fact that the majority of us have to wear clothes and live in climate controlled environments to survive shows that we aren't directly suited for where we live.

Last edited by Osmium; 04-19-2019 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-19-2019, 04:35 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,555,108 times
Mediterranean (?)..

Old 04-19-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Mediterranean (?)..
TBH only a few mediterranean climates like San Diego don't require heating or a/c for almost all days so maybe not. Although, the average med climate is near best for human comfort, just not the best.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmium View Post
It's going to be the climate that resulted in the evolution of modern humans in the first place; aka tropical savanna.

All our features have come into place as a result of competition in the savanna. Bipedalism for walking long distances, fingers with greater dexterity and precision since they had no role in locomotion and allowing more demanding tool use, loss of thicker hair (fun fact: Homo Sapiens have as much hair as a chimpanzee, ours is just much thinner and shorter) to allow greater loss of heat while walking/running under the tropical sun, extreme stamina to outrun other animals, larger brains and more sophisticated social tendencies and bonds so tribes would survive better against other predators.

Humans had to modify themselves while leaving the savannah; wearing clothes. The fact that the majority of us have to wear clothes and live in climate controlled environments to survive shows that we aren't directly suited for where we live.
What type of tropical savanna climate? I'd imagine ones in the great rift valley, do you have any city examples?

Old 04-19-2019, 04:44 PM

54 posts, read 26,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
Strictly biological speaking, it seems to me that the highland tropics is the best suited for human comfort and living. Most have adequate sunshine and rainfall without being OTT and has room temperature year-round (hardly any need for heating or air con). It makes sense because human beings originated from these lands (East Africa). Also, places such as San Diego mimic the temperature range quite a lot and its constantly voted as one of the best climates worldwide for human comfort. Although my favorite climates are humid subtropical such as Brisbane, I can't see anyone being down-right uncomfortable in the highland tropics tbh

I'd like to hear what you guys think tho. Do you agree with this or do you think other climates better fit human comfort?

Why even ask? Our societies are not based on climate but culture. And if you yourself refer to a controlled climate (AC), which is a very recent invention, what does that have to do with biology?

Nobody has voted San Diego as the best climate, that was only some Huff Post article or similar.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:00 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,586,818 times
I would think a Mediterranean/Semi-arid climate moderated by the sea is best for human comfort something like Madeira or the Canary Islands. The reduced humidity and rain in the summer improves comfort in these months while reducing the number of disease borne pests.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:28 PM

99 posts, read 56,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
What type of tropical savanna climate? I'd imagine ones in the great rift valley, do you have any city examples?
https://www.safaribookings.com/ngorongoro/climate
This is technically Cwb but is not far from Aw at all. Generally warm to hot, wet and dry season, grasslands, scattered trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arusha...hy_and_climate
City example.

Ngorongoro is one of the places hominid fossils have been found. This is the sort of climate we are adapted for.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:33 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,869,608 times
The average room temperature range we find comfortable would seem to demonstrate the temperature range ideal for the human body in the absence of much shelter, many layers, heating, AC, etc.

So a climate with an average temp of 21°C and minimal seasonal and diurnal range would be idyllic - from a purely biological perspective.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:12 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,153 times
Nairobi, Addis Ababa etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather