U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,501,625 times

Advertisements

A "sun shower" is when there is rain when it's still sunny. I personally like the appearance of a sun shower in the summer when it happens, as it is cool/pleasant as a sight and feeling to experience for me.

Sunshower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Judging by the places that have folklore around it, it seems to be well-known as a concept in many climates, but then again it is probably not that common enough all over the year I've guessing.

Many times when it rains, the sky is simply dark, either the "overcast drizzle" type or the "sudden darkening of a quick convective thunderstorm" type.

But what places/climates is this phenomenon more likely? What features or geographical characteristics make "sun showers" more probable or unlikely.

I'm guessing it might be hard to get an estimate because it implies duration of time when it is both sunny and rainy, recorded at the same time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 09:24 PM

22,256 posts, read 27,053,389 times
These are pretty common here.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,798,434 times
Saw that a lot in Florida, because the summer storms are so isolated. I thought it was quite funny when I moved there that you could often drive around the afternoon storms just by going a few streets over.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:56 PM

15,327 posts, read 15,769,656 times
We had a light sun shower here in March which was accompanied with thunder, but they're not very common.

I saw a sun shower in Orlando once, which was followed by a beautiful rainbow.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 PM

401 posts, read 698,089 times
More common in the mid-high latitudes I would guess because of obliquity of sun angle, but can happen just about anywhere. Reasonably common here especially in the latter stages of a thunderstorm (which can feature pouring rain).

Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 AM

2,702 posts, read 5,729,322 times
Saw that quite a lot in Singapore where showers can be very isolated. Definitely an awesome phenomenon.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 AM

4,445 posts, read 9,588,105 times
I think one would be more likely to experience sun showers where storms tend to be more localized. So this would mean anywhere that tall vertical clouds (cumulus) are more common than lower horizontal clouds (stratus). Globally, I would guess this means lower latitude humid climates mentioned above (Singapore, Florida…etc). I've experinced it many times...it always means summer to me. lol.

Still, it can be rather odd to see rain falling from a mostly blue sky – lol.

Florida sun showers - YouTube

Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 AM

19,721 posts, read 17,519,657 times
Common here at any time of year. Mountains fragment rain clouds a lot of the time. Also faster moving systems will tend to deliver the rain in bands, with partially to totally clear interludes.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 AM

778 posts, read 1,043,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
A "sun shower" is when there is rain when it's still sunny. I personally like the appearance of a sun shower in the summer when it happens, as it is cool/pleasant as a sight and feeling to experience for me.

Sunshower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Judging by the places that have folklore around it, it seems to be well-known as a concept in many climates, but then again it is probably not that common enough all over the year I've guessing.

Many times when it rains, the sky is simply dark, either the "overcast drizzle" type or the "sudden darkening of a quick convective thunderstorm" type.

But what places/climates is this phenomenon more likely? What features or geographical characteristics make "sun showers" more probable or unlikely.

I'm guessing it might be hard to get an estimate because it implies duration of time when it is both sunny and rainy, recorded at the same time.
I spent part of my childhood in tropical Philippines and the weather you just described was surprisingly quite common in the city where we used to live - Legazpi - here's the climate data:

Legazpi, Albay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I say surprising because given the amount of rainfall this city gets its amazing it gets much sunshine at all. In fact, as I suggested in another post, for many tropical locations much of the rainfall between June and November is due to hurricanes. A single storm could easily drop a month's worth of rain, so rainfall charts could give the false impression of very cloudy climates. The rest of the month could be predominantly sunny or a mixture of sunny and showery/sunny as you described above. This was what I remembered in Legazpi. By the way, this type of showery-sunny weather very often resulted rainbows as well.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 AM

44,255 posts, read 59,374,908 times
You see it in Texas...you really see it a lot in Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather