U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 AM

1,793 posts, read 2,987,027 times

Advertisements

I know there are a lot of mixed opinions here. I personally think summer in Pennsylvania is generally outstanding. Just enough heat and humidity to feel like summer and make you appreciate the fall. But enough cool and rainy days to keep it from being unbearable. I think 4 to 6 weeks of intense heat and humidity is about perfect. I don't think I would want to live in a place that never had summer. I also would not want to live in a place that has 6 months of summer. But I think it is good to get at least one or two heat waves, to give you more of an enjoyment of fall.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 11:06 AM

22,256 posts, read 27,063,789 times
Summers in the northeast and midwest...

Pluses:
Usually have high rainfall, plenty of thunderstorms

Minuses: Too warm and muggy.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:14 AM

15,327 posts, read 15,776,162 times
Hate might be a strong word since the summers here are a little more moderate compared to the south. But I generally dislike it. Too warm and humid most of the time. I will say that a benefit of dealing with weeks or months of heat and humidity is a greater appreciation for cool weather when it returns. Plus the thunderstorms can be interesting.

It is important to point out that there's a notable difference between PA/NJ/NYC and Upstate NY/NNE. Summers up there are more pleasant, IMO.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:29 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,949,300 times
Upper Great Lakes and NE - Great
Rest of the Midwest and NE - not so

Old 04-07-2012, 11:50 AM

5,593 posts, read 7,303,069 times
I hate summers like what you have in Pennsylvania. They're too hot and too humid for my taste, and induce all sorts of miserable heat-stress-related symptoms, not to mention extreme discomfort and high sunshine that makes my hair feel like it's burning off my head. The same applies to most of the Northeast and Midwest, which have pretty much constant hot and humid conditions during summertime. Truth be told, I'd rather not have a real summer, and prefer 40's at night and 60's during the daytime, which is more spring-like and typical of many subarctic regions. However, summers like in the Upper Midwest and northern New England (like the UP of Michigan) are decent by my standards, and they still qualify as having a summer.

However my true home environment is the 60's/40's Fahrenheit, subarctic-oriented brand of summer, which still feels warm to me and also has pleasantly cool nights, a pleasantly warm interlude between winters. Needless to say this is far removed from anywhere in the Mid-Atlantic and most of the Midwest, so unsurprisingly I hate the summer you outlined; put me in the dislike column.

Even though I don't like to have a summer to begin with, and prefer a very late spring that never gets any warmer than that, I'll list some of my own places that have "outstanding summers":

Lillehammer, Norway
Kiruna, Sweden
McKinley Park, Alaska
Trapper Creek, Alaska
Cartwright, Labrador

Cool

Old 04-09-2012, 12:29 AM

11,340 posts, read 18,903,267 times
They're good, I can't really complain. I wish they were longer but 4 months is good. I'm a heat lover and I can say that NYC/DC Summers are satisfying, I can't accept anything less though. Orlando/Houston is already my ideal and NYC/DC is more like my minimum requirement. The past two summers here were just perfect, it should be like that every year. I really really hope the third time's the charm but I won't push it.

However, New England & parts of the interior Mid Atlantic is a no for me.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 AM

2,789 posts, read 5,968,810 times
I wouldn't go as far as to say that I love it but I think it's not bad. Humidity being a little high at times is my only real complaint. The bigger metropolitan areas such as NYC have a significant heat island effect making nighttime temperatures a bit high for comfort. Other that that summers are pretty good here. I wish they were longer.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 AM

558 posts, read 684,572 times
The summers here USUALLY aren't bad and are pretty decent (of course the past two summers being exceptions). There's a few hot 90 F+ days here and there, but normally it's in the lower or mid 80s, which is a little uncomfortable, but not intolerable. I'm just glad that I get to "enjoy" 60 F nights and not have to deal with 75 F city nights But places like upper New England and upstate New York definitely have more comfortable summers in my opinion.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:24 PM

12,283 posts, read 8,454,106 times
Temperatures are not bad for the most part, but I wish there were more thunderstorms and rain and fewer periods of low humidity.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:49 PM

2,658 posts, read 2,864,408 times
I enjoyed summer in the Midwest as a sense of the perfect four season climate, the only thing I wanted fix about the character is slightly smaller standard deviation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather