Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Palm Springs CA vs Oralando Fl which climate is worse
Palm Springs 24 55.81%
Orlando 19 44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:55 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
And Brown. I went to Tweantynine Palms Ca to visit my daughter. We stayed ar Desert Palm and found it confortable,dry like AZ.
Thing is if you not prepared for humidityin Orlando due the rain, most Dersert Rats have a hard time with it.
Call me sick but I like to sweat and I love green! I am having a time of it to cope with Phz and micro wave summers. But each to their own!
It's always nice if you like the natural vegetation that grows in your favorite climatic regimes. I love desert and semi-desert vegetation AND dry climates so I'm okay in that respect. A lot of people in my area, however, love the sun and overall lack of rainfall, but don't like the lack of forests that go along with low precipitation - this contributes to a real lack of a sense of place in our urban environments as people try to make the cities look like something out of Ohio.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:38 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,795,521 times
Palm Springs is too hot and dry.

Orlando is a pretty decent climate, only a few degrees hotter than I like in summer, and with oddly low record lows ( -7? What? ), but overall a solid B, maybe B+.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This is tough. I said Orlando because it doesn't have the "trade winds" that might help out an area like Miami at night. I think the oppressive season is about 3 months, as is the situation in PS. However, if humid, it's much easier when you are adjacent to a body of water to take a dunk.

The Palm Springs summer is much like a Las Vegas summer. Both bad, but dry. But when you look at Mt. San Jacinto rising over 9,000 feet from the Coachella Valley floor in Palm Springs and adjacent communities, you could almost tolerate the ridiculous heat, because it seems surreal. Not only that, a lot of restaurants have these misters operating during the dry summer to cool you, and people actually eat outside with those things.
The oppressive season in Orlando and FL in general is much longer than 3 months, try at least 6 or 7 months.

There is no difference from May or July or October, it is very hot and humid from April well into November.

On Wens it will be 72 degrees as a high in Palm Springs, in Orlando it will be 86.

Palm Springs is way too hot in the summer for sure, but the desert cools down at night. FL stays hot and humid with very little change in temps, in fact it gets more humid at night.

Having lived in both states, I prefer hot and dry over hot and humid.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:11 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
I agree with seain-hot and humid in Florida is almost year round.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,038 times
Why do people say Palm Springs is dry? Yeah, it's dry (usually), but there are times in the Summer when it is agonizingly muggy. The horrible intolerable heat is a SOLID 4 months from June through the end of September. This year (2012), it started in April, and hasn't let up since. I've been here 3 years, and I'm sick of it. I would ONLY recommend Palm Springs as a Winter vacation place--there is no reason to stay here into the Summer unless you are some kind of masochist--guess that makes me a masochist. I'm looking to leave. Yes, it's got beautiful mountains, and a unique desert beauty, but it's hard to appreciate the beauty, when it's too damn hot all the time. You can't go outside--you have to be inside with the blinds drawn. Your electric bill is off the charts with the A/C constantly blowing. And..it MUST be on all the time. If you turn if off, you will turn it back on within 2 minutes. Swamp coolers do the trick in the Spring months, but in the Summer, all they will do is blow around scorching hot air that feels like it's coming from a furnace. We're talking days of 115 F- 117 F temps, for weeks on end, with no break, no rain, nothing. The Summer nights "cool down" to about 100 F. Sounds pleasant, right?

Old 07-21-2012, 09:05 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,394 times
both are exceptional climates.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:42 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
Why do people say Palm Springs is dry? Yeah, it's dry (usually), but there are times in the Summer when it is agonizingly muggy. The horrible intolerable heat is a SOLID 4 months from June through the end of September. This year (2012), it started in April, and hasn't let up since. I've been here 3 years, and I'm sick of it. I would ONLY recommend Palm Springs as a Winter vacation place--there is no reason to stay here into the Summer unless you are some kind of masochist--guess that makes me a masochist. I'm looking to leave. Yes, it's got beautiful mountains, and a unique desert beauty, but it's hard to appreciate the beauty, when it's too damn hot all the time. You can't go outside--you have to be inside with the blinds drawn. Your electric bill is off the charts with the A/C constantly blowing. And..it MUST be on all the time. If you turn if off, you will turn it back on within 2 minutes. Swamp coolers do the trick in the Spring months, but in the Summer, all they will do is blow around scorching hot air that feels like it's coming from a furnace. We're talking days of 115 F- 117 F temps, for weeks on end, with no break, no rain, nothing. The Summer nights "cool down" to about 100 F. Sounds pleasant, right?
Hardly any rain falls. If it gets muggy, that makes it even worse.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:50 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Silly way to put the question, why not "which do you prefer?". In which case I prefer Orlando because it is more humid and gets thunderstorms and heavy rain quite often in the summer.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:16 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
I've been to Central and South Florida in October; delightful!
Warm-to-very-warm, 82-85 F (28-30 C)everyday, yet I never broke a sweat.

I found I like dry heat from living in Western Australia.
I have seen it as hot as 41 C/106 F and that's not too hot for me.
Most days in Palm Springs summer I'd probably be fine.
I wonder if I could save money there, keeping my A/C set at 93 F/33 C.

I would assume I'd like both climates.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The oppressive season in Orlando and FL in general is much longer than 3 months, try at least 6 or 7 months.

There is no difference from May or July or October, it is very hot and humid from April well into November.

On Wens it will be 72 degrees as a high in Palm Springs, in Orlando it will be 86.

Palm Springs is way too hot in the summer for sure, but the desert cools down at night. FL stays hot and humid with very little change in temps, in fact it gets more humid at night.

Having lived in both states, I prefer hot and dry over hot and humid.
Not in summertime! Palm Springs in summer still has nights in the 70s and 80s. I remember one night this summer had a low of 98F! I choose Palm Springs as being worse. It is too dry and much hotter than Orlando. Not that Orlando is comfortable with that extreme humidity, but it isn't as hot and also the thunderstorms can cool the temperatures and clear the mugginess a bit. Palm Springs doesn't get this. However, thunderstorms and muggy weather DO affect Palm Springs for maybe two weeks in summer, thanks to monsoonal moisture drifting up from the Sea of Cortez. It's really the lesser of two evils then: 114F and muggy, with no cool nights? Or 90F and muggy, with no cool nights? I'll choose the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather