Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think I improved my climate?
Yes 13 92.86%
No 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Mostly the same type, but I made some improvements. I don't hate the weather of where I live, but it does annoy me. I don't care much for winter, but I'm used to enough I can deal well. After this winter I realized I'm OK with winter but...

- Cold but not all that cold (somewhat freezing) temperatures are comfortable but still a bit too cold for me to want to stay outside for fun.
- But if it's a little colder it's not terribly uncomfortable. And if it snows; it's fun to explore. So a little colder would be nice
- But not too much; bitter cold snaps are kinda painful and just no fun
- Long winters bore me; I want warmth and green after a while. So frosts should cease quickly after winter's over and plant growth should start; by the end of March.

So here's my change. It's probably a bit unrealistic. There's now lots of snow from frequent northeasters and a quick transition in and out of winter. I like my warmer months, so they didn't get much change other to mesh with the other months a bit better.

The cold lovers probably would dislike the fix; but maybe they'd be happy with the extra snow? Colder nights are less common than in my real climate, especially ones well below average in the winter, shoulder seasons. You'll notice the winters aren't really any colder; this is a bit of a benefit, as it will melt some old snow, so dirty snow will be less common. Still with all the snowfall, it should stay on the ground most days of the winter, though there will be times when the ground is bare.

Any thoughts? At all feasible? Choose whether you like my "fix" and rate if you like.

Old:

New:

Last edited by nei; 12-01-2014 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,232 times
+earlier spring and later fall
+warmer average lows
+warmer record lows
-wetter winters
-colder winter highs (marginally)
-more snow (6+feet of snow is excessive imo)

I really don't know if I like the changes on balance. I'm not a huge fan of wet winters but I guess if its snow its not so bad (usually its rain or freezing rain here which is the most disgusting thing in the world). 6+feet of snow means that there will be plenty of morning that you will be getting up at 5:30am to shovel before you go to work. Not fun. But at least it will scenic. I guess more interesting but shorter winters is an improvement. Although they are really not that short - about same length as in NYC.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Winters are a bit warmer so that's an improvement...However, there is increased snowfall so that's no good. Overall I'd say it's a slight improvement.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
I prefer your version because it's colder (daytime temps) and snowier in winter and wetter.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 03-27-2012 at 02:56 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 04:53 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Overall your second climate is worse, and I'd rate it a D. The summers are too hot in both of them. Winters are decent in the first one, but are really subpar in the second one due to the near-absence of cold weather (subzero), even in record lows. The extra snowfall in the new one is a plus, getting up to something I'd like. Springs and Autumns are too warm, especially in your warmer second version.

Neither of them look particularly unrealistic to me.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
I prefer you original climate because it's more prone to serious cold. New records for November and March are really too warm.
And for me Amherst already has a healthy dose of snow. Could be snowier, but I guess cold snaps are more important.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:21 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Didn't change much; either way, weak summers and cold winters.

The second one seems slightly better due to warmer winters though.

D vs D(+)...

Old 03-27-2012, 02:41 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
The higher snowfall is an improvement, but the lack of extreme cold is disappointing.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:18 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
6+feet of snow means that there will be plenty of morning that you will be getting up at 5:30am to shovel before you go to work. Not fun. But at least it will scenic. I guess more interesting but shorter winters is an improvement. Although they are really not that short - about same length as in NYC.
6 feet is about the average I got when I lived in upstate NY, so I didn't think it was too over the top. I was thinking of higher, but I didn't want too drastic of a change. Ditto with making the winters too much longer.

I don't need to drive regularly, so shoveling doesn't matter to me.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

Neither of them look particularly unrealistic to me.
Well the first one ought to, as it's the numbers of where I currently live (within a short distance, at least).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather