Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,018 times

Advertisements

I definitely tolerate cold better than heat. Ideally, I would be in 50-65 year round, with occasional short bursts of 70-80 or 0-30. (I do like snow, and don't mind the cold) Super ideally, would be about 75 for the high spots. 80 is getting a bit hot, anything above is approaching misery for me. Sadly, I live in St. Louis, with the hot humid summers that often stay in the mid to high 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 AM

66 posts, read 109,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
- Mild summers, averaging 60's F for highs and 40's F for lows; this weather should last for 3 months (though I don't mind one sub-60F month). All-time record high shouldn't be any higher than about 90F.
Just out of curiosity, a friend of mine has a somewhat similar cold resistance to yours, he uses shorts and t-shirts almost the whole year, even in the coldest morning quite in some time here in SP, like 43°F. People see that as very strange, I find it even funny to think of 40's°F as slightly warm, but up there in Canada or Alaska that should be pretty common.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:17 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euclideanspace View Post
Just out of curiosity, a friend of mine has a somewhat similar cold resistance to yours, he uses shorts and t-shirts almost the whole year, even in the coldest morning quite in some time here in SP, like 43°F. People see that as very strange
That's interesting. My sort of cold tolerance isn't common where I live, either, but you'll see more people in many Laurentian spots wearing shorts when it's 43F than you would see in Sao Paulo.

That's due to acclimatization to cold weather; by Canadian standards you have perpetual summer where you live, so you and everyone else are still in "summer mode". I'm sure the prevalence of shorts-wearers would be about the same in a Sao Paulo winter cold snap as it would when it gets to 43F in the summer in the northern States and southern Canada.

Quote:
I find it even funny to think of 40's°F as slightly warm, but up there in Canada or Alaska that should be pretty common.
It is warm in a winter context - major thawing ensues when it's in the 40's and precipitation will fall as rain, plus to most people that are in "winter mode" it will feel warm as well.

I find it funny, with my background, that 40's Fahrenheit in any context would be "cold" or the "coldest morning" of anything. On a universal basis I'd consider 40's Fahrenheit to be cool or mild, but warm in a winter context and quite chilly in a summer context.

Even disregarding context, a lot of people in Canada and Alaska (probably most people in the boreal climates) would consider 40's to be warm, at least most of the year. Never understimate the degree to which the hearty folk can acclimate to winter weather. There was one man in Illinois that posted on some other forum, in February 2011 (warm weather following an unusually cold winter), that it went above 40F and it felt hot to him and he was sweating. While that is an extreme example even in the subarctic, it can and sometimes does occur. This is a humorous "annotated thermometer" that reflects the hardier internal thermostats of northerners (note: this bears only a very vague semblance to Laurentian reality).

Old 04-13-2012, 04:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It is warm in a winter context - major thawing ensues when it's in the 40's and precipitation will fall as rain, plus to most people that are in "winter mode" it will feel warm as well.

I find it funny, with my background, that 40's Fahrenheit in any context would be "cold" or the "coldest morning" of anything. On a universal basis I'd consider 40's Fahrenheit to be cool or mild, but warm in a winter context and quite chilly in a summer context.
I find 40s cool to cold ish in a universal sense but during the winter refreshingly mild.

Last edited by nei; 04-15-2012 at 08:26 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 04:29 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
To be honest, if I was a warm lover and lived in a cold climate, I'd be pretty annoyed if it got into the 40's because it would become wet and slushy and grim.

From this

To this

Old 04-13-2012, 04:37 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
I love moderate-heat.

I prefer a shade temperature not far from body temperature, 26+ C/79+ F
with hot sunshine... and cold drinks.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
To be honest, if I was a warm lover and lived in a cold climate, I'd be pretty annoyed if it got into the 40's because it would become wet and slushy and grim.
Agreed. That's what happened here a couple of times last year and it kept refreezing overnight and turning to slush again during the day, so we had to endure the slush over and over again.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Agreed. That's what happened here a couple of times last year and it kept refreezing overnight and turning to slush again during the day, so we had to endure the slush over and over again.
I agree also. It happens a few times every winter here and it's very annoying

Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

From this

To this
I probably would too but this is slightly misleading. The first picture was taken, judging from the snow on the trees, almost immediately after snowfall. Snow always looks nice and fluffy right after it falls. But time inevitably takes its tall, even in a cold climate. Wind blows the snow off the trees. A combination of snowplows, cars, and salt will get rid of most of the snow on the roads and sidewalks. There will be snow left on the sides of streets but it will get dirty from the traffic, and much less fluffy. Even a mild thaw or direct sunshine (which is nearly impossible to avoid in non-subarctic climates) will also have an effect on snow getting less visually attractive. Finally there is pedestrian traffic.

Your best chance would be to live in a very suburban, or even better - rural environment where there are large open spaces (lawns, fields, parks, etc) where snow can remain relatively untouched, and where vehicle and pedestrian traffic is light and where there is little to no heat island effect. In places like that snow can remain very nice looking for a long time. But in a big city it will be very tough.

Moscow, for example, is a cold city but it is known for becoming very grey and ugly in the winter to such an extent that all the cars become the same color.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
I was just using it as an example, even in mild temperatures snow will become slushy in suburban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather