Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 01:02 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times

Advertisements

I have had the displeasure of Christmas without cold weather or Snow. Horrible!!!!!!! Cooler climates Hands Down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 01:07 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
I have had the displeasure of Christmas without cold weather or Snow. Horrible!!!!!!! Cooler climates Hands Down!

Tell me about it. Christmas where i live consist in scorching hot 33c days and 28 celsius nights.
Would LOVE to have a christmas with snow!

Old 05-18-2012, 01:17 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Cool to mild is a good description of your tastes. As for myself, these are the differing climates I'd consider, cool, mild, et cetera:

Cool or chilly: Reykjavik, Iceland
Mild: Shangri-La County, China
Warm: San Francisco, California
Very warm or moderately hot: Downtown Los Angeles, California

All of these climates exhibit these characteristics (cool, mild, etc.) in both summer and winter. As an example, Reykjavik has chilly summers and chilly winters, and San Francisco has warm summers and warm winters.
Reykjavik has winter temps at the lower portion of my ideal winter range, and Shangri-La at the upper levels for summer. I'd also be fine with San Francisco summers, but I'd want cooler winters. And of course it looks like downtown Los Angeles is just warmer than I'd like, although the winter highs would make fine summer highs.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:25 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Cool to mild is a good description of your tastes. As for myself, these are the differing climates I'd consider, cool, mild, et cetera:

All of these climates exhibit these characteristics (cool, mild, etc.) in both summer and winter. As an example, Reykjavik has chilly summers and chilly winters, and San Francisco has warm summers and warm winters.
Unless you're talking just summer only, Shangri-La there doesn't seem mild because of its winter lows (colder than Reykjavik's). Victoria, BC seems like a better example to me of one that's mild on that scale (between Reykjavik and San Francisco) because the other examples you give all have lower seasonality than a climate like Shangri-La.

Usually, mild to me implies also not a large range/variation in temperature (not hot or cold in extremes) and moderate temperatures, rather than just moderate in averages.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:28 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:

Shangri-La is very interesting in that there is close to 20C difference between the January daily high and low. This is huge.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:56 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Usually, mild to me implies also not a large range/variation in temperature (not hot or cold in extremes) and moderate temperatures, rather than just moderate in averages.
40's in winter warming to 60's in summer seems like a small range to me for daily highs. Daily lows also go from 10's to 40's. Sure, it's chilly at night in the winter but it is what I'd consider mild. Your choice of Victoria, BC also qualifies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Oh, I definitely agree with that. A seldom-mentioned factor is the possibility of lousy (i.e. Brown) Christmases in many mild/warm/"pleasant" climates.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:18 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
Quote:

For me the breakdown would be as follows (summer only):

Cool or chilly:
Victoria, BC, northern England, Scotland, Ireland
Mild:
Seattle, London, Berlin, Auckland
Warm:
Sydney, Toronto, Paris, Melbourne
Very Warm:
NYC, Philly, Buenos Airs, Brisbane, Seoul, Rio de Janeiro
Hot:
Houston, Jacksonville, Nanjing
Very Hot:
Phoenix, Baghdad, New Delhi

I'll try to incorporate winter later but it will be hard.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:23 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Would you consider Hull cool or chilly? Warmest summers in northern England, warmer than Victoria, BC in summer. Summers in Leeds are probably similar (the wiki data looks odd)

Kingston upon Hull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-18-2012, 03:25 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
It's interesting to see your view. From my perspective, it's not too far off the mark, though I'd shift some of the cities one or two categories down (from very warm to hot for example).

Quote:
It shouldn't be hard if you apply winter standards. For example, find places that also have mild winters, very warm winters, et cetera.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post

Cool or chilly:
Victoria, BC, northern England, Scotland, Ireland
Mild:
Seattle, London, Berlin, Auckland
Warm:
Sydney, Toronto, Paris, Melbourne
Very Warm:
NYC, Philly, Buenos Airs, Brisbane, Seoul, Rio de Janeiro
Hot:
Houston, Jacksonville, Nanjing
Very Hot:
Phoenix, Baghdad, New Delhi

Agree with the categories, though Paris seems a little closer to the boundary between mild and warm is a bit ill-defined; Paris isn't much different from Seattle or Berlin. The other 3 fit, though Melbourne is weird from its variability. The cool category is a bit broad, but place with Eureka like summers are unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather