Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 03:33 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Would you consider Hull cool or chilly? Warmest summers in northern England, warmer than Victoria, BC in summer. Summers in Leeds are probably similar (the wiki data looks odd)

Kingston upon Hull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hull and Leeds would be borderline I guess. Maybe 1.5 mild months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 03:43 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Agree with the categories, though Paris seems a little closer to the boundary between mild and warm is a bit ill-defined; Paris isn't much different from Seattle or Berlin. The other 3 fit, though Melbourne is weird from its variability. The cool category is a bit broad, but place with Eureka like summers are unusual.
I might be influenced by my own experiences with Paris and other anecdotal evidence. It is warmer than Seattle and Berlin, but not by much I agree.

Maybe Budapest would work a bit better.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:18 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
We should establish what is what, there should be categories.

Categories could be.

Very Cold.
Cold.
Cool.
Mild.
Warm.
Hot.
Very Hot.
I think if we're going to be objective about this we need to identify each category with a certain latitudinal band so that (sea level) climates within each band are considered fairly representative of the corresponding category, barring continental climates for the "mild" category and any climates that represent a significant temperature anomaly relative to latitude.

We also need to take into account the earth's population distribution rather than making a simple seven-way division (barely 1% of the earth's population lives in the polar regions compared to about 40% living in the tropics). And I'm classifying climates solely on the basis of annual mean temp, except in the case of "mild" climates which I think ought to be devoid of any large seasonal variation.

So here's my take on this:

Very Cold: polar regions
Cold: poleward subarctic (55 - 66.5 degrees latitude)
Cool: equatorward subarctic / poleward temperate (45 - 55)
Mild: temperate oceanic climates (35 - 45)
Warm: subtropics (22.5 - 35)
Hot: tropics
Very Hot: arid climates around the thermal equator (10 - 15 N)

One thing that bugs me about the above is the definition of "mild". When I think "mild" I imagine climates between Quito and Norfolk Island -- sometimes a little warm, sometimes a little cool, but rarely (if ever) truly hot or cold.

Thoughts?

Old 05-19-2012, 06:43 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Thoughts?
To classify the full spectrum of climates on the planet itself, a more simple seven-way division is better. The fine distinctions between the thermal equator climates, the tropical climates, and the subtropical climates don't match up with the very broad brush you've painted polar climates with. Even the classification is uneven (polar climate being "very cold" whereas the tropics aren't "very hot").

I'd draw a distinction between the tundra climates, the milder ice sheets, and the extremely cold ice sheets (Esperanza and Vostok are quite different, at least as different as Mecca and the Congo).

Classifying the climates like this, applying one label for the whole year, I think only really works with low-latitude or maritime climates with low seasonality. For instance, describing Fairbanks as just "cold" doesn't do justice to the colder-than-implied winters and the warmth in summer. Yakutsk is an even more extreme example.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:53 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
For annual average temperatures for a climate ... here is how I'd describe them personally...

temp < 0°C - frigid
0°C - 5°C - very cold
6°C - 10°C - cold
11°C - 15°C - mild
16°C - 20°C - warm
22°C - 25°C - hot
26°C - 30°C - very hot

In terms of actual temperatures I feel on my skin...
temp < 0°C - frigid
0°C - 10°C - cold
11°C - 15°C - chilly
16°C - 22°C - mild
23°C - 28°C - warm
29°C - 35°C - hot
temp > 36°C - very hot

I prefer a climate where it's ALWAYS warm to hot temperatures year round

Old 05-19-2012, 11:56 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
Another reason I hate the cold here is we can only have plants out for 3 months of the year. The weather is just to variable.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:39 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean8877 View Post
Interesting thread...I know I'm in the vast minority, but I prefer hot and humid weather and don't like any sort of cool weather (below 70F). I'd be happy if it was 85-90, sunny and humid every day of the year, I also prefer warm and humid evenings (you don't need a blanket or any other covering to sleep!).

I don't think I've ever met anyone with tastes similar to mine...is there anyone out there like me?
Sounds like a coastal dry tropical climate. I remember a glorious June in Mazatlan - it was consistently sunny and hot and there was a definite feeling of humidity (but not excessive humidity) due the presence of a warm ocean to the west. But Mazatlan goes from hot to warm in the winter. You might want to check out Aruba/Bonaire/Curacao . Low rainfall, somewhat humid, and always hot. My idea of perfection in a climate (although I also love subtropical desert and inland Mediterranean climates).

Old 08-27-2012, 12:24 PM

4 posts, read 11,113 times
Is there a weather discussion forum for people who LOVE mild and warm winters? (and who HATE cold, snow, etc)? The forums I've found so far all seem to be inhabited by cold mongers!

Any ideas for a place on the web so people such as I can talk about hope for warm weather coming up?

Thanks! :-)

Old 08-27-2012, 12:28 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I might be influenced by my own experiences with Paris and other anecdotal evidence. It is warmer than Seattle and Berlin, but not by much I agree.

Maybe Budapest would work a bit better.
Paris has colder winters than London or Seattle, but warmer summers. Overall they are all about the same though.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:39 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
I believe I'm a cold weather lover as I'm completely obsessed with snow and cold temperatures. Although I do prefer a hot summer I must say I hate mild winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather