Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:49 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,896 times

Advertisements

I'm going to make another attempt to bridge the gap between cold and warm lovers. I'll try to give you winter people a respectably cold, snowy winter. But once spring hits, it will warm up in a hurry. Summers will be warm and rather humid, but not too many periods of extreme heat. About 15 to 20 days in the 90s.

Jan 15 / 27 3.0 20
Feb 15 / 27 3.0 20
Mar 28 / 46 3.0 5
Apr 49 / 68 2.5
May 60 / 79 2.5
Jun 66 / 83 2.5
Jul 67 / 84 2.5
Aug 67 / 83 3.0
Sep 60 / 79 3.0
Oct 46 / 65 1.0
Nov 39 / 56 2.0
Dec 23 / 36 3.0 10

Total precip: 31 inches
Total snow: 55 inches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 03:54 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Not too bad. Winters look sufficiently cold and snowy. Autumn is acceptable. Summers are obviously too warm for me, but this would be a good compromise with summer lovers in exchange for the cold and snowy winter.

B

Old 04-13-2012, 04:29 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Summer minimums are good, but summer maximums are a bit cool.

May and September are nice.

April is okay, October a bit cold.

I'll give it a D+
because a lot of the year the mornings are too cold,
Nov-Mar is too chilly in the day too
A step above Vancouver... barely.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:31 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Hmm...I give it a C. The summers are awful (low of 67F? Blah), springs warm up too quickly, and autumns cool down too slowly. However the winters are decent and the amount of snowfall passes muster. Precipitation is good and I imagine sunshine levels are not intolerable. Overall not all that bad, with a lot of negatives and some positives. I will say the winter is respectably cold and snowy, mostly in January and February but it still definitely passes as a winter; just not nearly of intense of a winter as I prefer .

You're getting better at these compromise climates. If I was living in your last one I'd make a move to this new place. However, there are a few oddities and deficiencies you may want to take note of - December just has 10 inches of snow versus Jan/Feb's 20 inches each. It has the same amount of precipitation, so I assume that December has 2 inches of rain on average. For a fan of a White Christmas that is a major bummer, not to mention a bummer to any winter fan; seeing as your average high is 36F in this month it shouldn't be too difficult to modify this climate so that more moisture comes when it's below freezing.

There's also a seasonal lead in your climate for April and May, so why not make it consistent? I'd advise you to make March warmer and December colder; I don't think you'd ruffle many feathers, as even most winter-haters would rather have the cold and snow shifted towards Christmastide anyway, especially in exchange for a warmer March. Plus all of us winter fans I've seen prefer cold Decembers as well, and it's exciting to have a faster autumn cooldown. You don't even have to include more snow; just shift that extra 10 inches from February to December .

Old 04-13-2012, 06:46 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,660 times
Snowfall looks better.

The summer averages look scary but if you say only 10-20 days above 90F then, considering the length of summer, it doesn't look as bad.

Winter is obviously too short. On its own, it isn't very cold either. If I were to live in a place with such short winters they should be much colder (Khabarovsk).

It's much better than your previous climate and it gets a C+ from me. The summers are pretty long and the precipitation is way too low.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:55 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Snowfall looks better.

The summer averages look scary but if you say only 10-20 days above 90F then, considering the length of summer, it doesn't look as bad.

Winter is obviously too short. On its own, it isn't very cold either. If I were to live in a place with such short winters they should be much colder (Khabarovsk).

It's much better than your previous climate and it gets a C+ from me. The summers are pretty long and the precipitation is way too low.
What do you think of this climate?

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...miseville.html

(Not to hijack the thread, but it is somewhat related.)

Old 04-13-2012, 07:09 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
What do you think of this climate?

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...miseville.html

(Not to hijack the thread, but it is somewhat related.)
B. The winters are slightly warmer than the climate in this thread...but the cooler summers and slight precip max in summer look great. I could live there though.

There is no climate that is going to please everyone...

Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Summer minimums are good, but summer maximums are a bit cool.

May and September are nice.

April is okay, October a bit cold.

I'll give it a D+
because a lot of the year the mornings are too cold,
Nov-Mar is too chilly in the day too
A step above Vancouver... barely.
I might have gotten carried away with the winter temps. I was trying to make the snow lovers happy, but wow, i made it really cold.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:20 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
^^ definitely not me. This place gets an F. Really not digging that winter weather.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,232 times
Not bad. Usually I like warmer winters but given how the winter is short and reasonably snowy, it could be interesting. I like the long but not overly hot summers. Depending on sunshine hours, this could be A class climate. B+ so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather