Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 04:05 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I seen a image created by joe bastardi which showed the entire British isles being 4f lower than average this winter. If that's true my average will be 38f and so that means lots of snow and ice days!!
I hope you have a great (read: cold/snowy) winter in Ireland. Snow in Northern Ireland is great, and the very best of it was that thundersnow event in December 2010. YouTube users by the name of "tenaciousbt" and "JangoHarkness" captured some great video footage of the lightning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 04:12 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Yes 2010 was an epic winter. It was like the arctic our snow lasted 6 weeks without melting it was amazing. I would like just once to get a true arctic winter. I'm sure it wouldn't be out of the realms of possibilty.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:42 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Yes 2010 was an epic winter. It was like the arctic our snow lasted 6 weeks without melting it was amazing. I would like just once to get a true arctic winter. I'm sure it wouldn't be out of the realms of possibilty.
2010 was epic down this way too.

On a relative side note, Ireland has coldest July in a couple of decades.

PDF: http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly_su.../july12sum.pdf
Farmers under strain: July was one of coldest, wettest months - Newstalk.ie
Farmers to get EU payment early - The Irish Times - Thu, Jul 26, 2012

Old 08-03-2012, 04:45 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
Buxton always gets more snow than almost anywhere else in England but I get fed up of the icy mess that forms and makes it impossible to get anywhere safely or easily. The roads get gritted but I walk a lot and end up having to tread around ice or walk on it like an old cripple barely able to move. So if anything I would prefer a lack of winter cold and milder weather just for the lack of that icy crap, if it were to be dry and cold that's OK.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:25 PM

You know what we had 2 foot of snow here but it was dry and below -5 most of the time so you would hardly notice.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
6 weeks of winter weather is pretty pathetic, but it is a vast improvement over what your area typically gets (which is next to nothing, I think?). A true arctic winter, which I assume for you means a snowpack that lasts all winter (?), would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Buxton always gets more snow than almost anywhere else in England but I get fed up of the icy mess that forms and makes it impossible to get anywhere safely or easily. The roads get gritted but I walk a lot and end up having to tread around ice or walk on it like an old cripple barely able to move.
Funny. I never had any problem at all with ice (walking and playing that is; icy driving is always challenging).

Quote:
So if anything I would prefer a lack of winter cold and milder weather just for the lack of that icy crap, if it were to be dry and cold that's OK.
The icy mess and slush forms with frequent freeze/thaw cycles. If it was frozen all the time you wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem. Of course, I know you prefer thawing over freezing, but there is a bit of a secondary peak when road traction is concerned at the cold end of the scale.

Last edited by Patricius Maximus; 08-03-2012 at 06:15 PM..

Old 08-03-2012, 05:41 PM

Well we do get snow it just last any longer than a few days. What Is annoying is that it snows loads then it melts and then 2 days late. It snows later again. It's all because of the aZores high. If we could keep the Azores high and the jet stream at it's current position our winter would be better than 2010

Old 08-03-2012, 05:52 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Buxton always gets more snow than almost anywhere else in England but I get fed up of the icy mess that forms and makes it impossible to get anywhere safely or easily. The roads get gritted but I walk a lot and end up having to tread around ice or walk on it like an old cripple barely able to move. So if anything I would prefer a lack of winter cold and milder weather just for the lack of that icy crap, if it were to be dry and cold that's OK.
I've asked people in my family what they think of snow (yes I'm really that sad) - they generally like it, but really dislike, nay, hate the ice. If it were to stick around with no melting (i.e thaw and freeze), it'd be better. Ice is an absolute pain in the arse. I recall February 2010 being really icy, one road I was walking down was literally covered in ice making it near impossible to walk on - fell over numerous times. This road was popular for high school kids coming home, needless to say they had fun sliding down..

Old 08-03-2012, 06:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
ice is a nuisance and safety hazard anywhere. I've slipped and fell numerous times. Looks worse than snow, too.

Generally a problem anywhere that's cold enough to snow regularly but warm enough to get regular freeze / thaw cycles throughout the winter, like where I live.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 PM

Another milestone has been reached in the march to Winter 2012-13. Below is the GFS long-range for August 19, showing widespread and significant snow in northern Quebec. This is at the end of forecasting range and it may well disappear in a few hours never to be seen again, but this is the biggest snow that has shown up on the models so far this season, and that in and of itself is a milestone. Curiously, this is the same area that was predicted by the models to have gotten a dusting to an inch late last month. As far as I know, snowfall of this magnitude this early in the season is atypical for that region, though I'm sure it has happened before.

We'll be seeing early snows on the long-range models for northern Maine soon enough at this rate.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather