Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 11:28 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

Piss doesn't have to freeze - but, let's be serious, if snow is as rare as hens teeth, winter barely exists. It's more like an extended autumn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 03:19 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Winter here can hardly be a thing for cold fans to look forward to in England because far from getting much snow all you really get is overcast and drizzle all day every day. Clear blue sky frosty weather and any real snow is the stuff of dreams in this place.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:43 PM

Snow is something we get every year without fail however in this area, the same cannot be said for thunderstorms, so even though winter here is substandard for me, it's the superior season from an interest point of view, even if the summer averages are closer to my ideal (temperatures only). That short period of snow, and occasional frosty weather, offsets the summer season with little interest. Give me a summer like 2005 and my opinion will probably change.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:44 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Fuxton's where you really want to be for snow in England, I certainly see it plenty every winter but can't stand the stuff so I'm stuffed when it comes to weather interest here. Fuxton never gets thunderstorms, that's for sure.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Fuxton's where you really want to be for snow in England, I certainly see it plenty every winter but can't stand the stuff so I'm stuffed when it comes to weather interest here. Fuxton never gets thunderstorms, that's for sure.
Trade places with me this coming spring every time there's storm clouds here we get a severe thunderstorm watch or tornado watch

Old 08-24-2012, 07:37 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Yeah, cold and snow don't cut the mustard? then what is winter?
When a snowpack persists through the 3-month season. The cold and snow have to be dominant over the season in order for it to be a winter season. That's the essence of the basic meaning of the word. One instance of 30F and wet snow that melts the next day is only one storm, not a winter, and this is the pattern over most of the U.S. Cold and snow are the exception, not the rule.

Quote:
Would one's piss have to freeze solid in mid-flight to be considered winter?
No, it just needs to freeze on the ground and stay frozen day and night. I would submit, however, that I would test that with water, not urine.

Quote:
In alot of places, at least at temperate latitudes, winter is nothing but cold, overcast slate-grey stratocrapulous bullcrap. Compare that to summer with sunshine, thunderstorms, different cloud formations besides the usual stratus crap, convection, heavy cloudbursts and the list goes on.
I do not pretend and have not pretended to speak for Australia or anywhere else other than the United States. In most parts of the United States steady temperatures, cloud, and drizzle do not dominate the winter months. If that was the case I wouldn't have made that post to begin with because it would have been inaccurate.

Quote:
So to qualify as a weather enthusiast, one must embrace winter and snow? Why is that?
To qualify as a weather enthusiast one must embrace interesting weather. In the eastern U.S. at least, there aren't many big synoptic storms outside of winter and outside of winter and the cool season it's the same routine day in and day out.

Ideally, snow would be included in the mix for a weather enthusiasts' interest just by virtue of it being another category of weather, but it isn't necessary for "interest", and certainly not the only kind of interesting weather around.

It should be noted that all of the big thunderstorm outbreaks and the strongest thunderstorms occur in springtime. In many parts in many years strong thunderstorms are rather rare in summer compared to spring. You'll never see anything like the Super Outbreak in summertime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
It depends what you consider a blizzard.
Well, the definition I find most applicable is the American NOAA's definition, which is, converted into metric for your convenience:

1. Falling and/or blowing snow
2. Visibility of 400 meters or less
3. Sustained winds or frequent gusts of 56 kph or greater
4. The preceding conditions persisting for 3 hours or longer

How often does that happen where you live? In parts of England they experienced one just last April, so I don't imagine they're that rare in the British Isles. Uncommon may be the applicable word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I do agree – and I think you put that very well: In most locations in the USA (esp from 40 latitude southward), winter really is a “variable season", where anything can happen - rather than a solid 3 or 4 months time of intense cold and snow. Still, there are areas in the far northern USA that often do have severe winter weather (Mt West, Upper Midwest, northern Plains, northern high elevation New England…etc).
I was speaking generally. There are areas that do have true winters as opposed to "variable seasons" but they make up only a minority of the Eastern U.S.'s total area.

Quote:
Also, to be fair, weather drama (if that is the right word) comes in other forms in our country compared to yours (Canada I think). On the eastern side of the mainland tropical cyclones are a threat to the Gulf and Atlantic states and are interesting to watch (and even experience first hand if not too severe)
True, but tropical storms and hurricanes across most of the East Coast are far less common than synoptic storms, and if they hit the effects are not as widespread (think of a typical hurricane vs. a typical nor'easter; the nor'easter covers a larger area, though the maximum winds are a lot less intense). The Gulf Coast is different but even they don't get all that much hurricane activity (a tropical storm, however, is typical, but again, "hard to get" and localized).

Quote:
as well as late fall/winter/and spring ocean storms ...in the interior, thunderstorms/tornadoes are often what create the most drama...and along the West Coast (eslp the NW coast) seasonal ocean storms bring high winds, heavy rain, flooding, and deep snows to the Mts in Washington, Oregon, and California.
Aside from the tornadoes, the drama you listed usually comes in wintertime (or near wintertime). As for the severe thunderstorms, they are the primary exception, but in most years severe thunderstorms and tornadoes are intermittent islands in a sea of warmth and sun, and the effects are localized. If you take a series of 5 outbreaks in the Plains the chances that any random locality will actually experience severe thunderstorm conditions are rather low. That said, thunderstorms of less extreme types are common.

There are exceptions, though, such as April 2011, which featured tornado outbreaks every few days and widespread severe thunderstorms in the areas that were affected.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:58 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Becoming chilly, perhaps local ground frost in sheltered valleys. Minimum temperature 5 °C.

This might mean an air frost for somewhere as the met office always predict higher minimum temps.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:14 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Becoming chilly, perhaps local ground frost in sheltered valleys. Minimum temperature 5 °C.

This might mean an air frost for somewhere as the met office always predict higher minimum temps.
Hey folks, if you're posting current conditions, please post in the correct thread. //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...ovember-2.html

This thread is for Winter (Dec-March). Thanks.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:53 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,279 times
So who has ice roads near their location in the winter? Here the sea usually starts freezing over in mid-January and ice roads are open in February and March between the islands and mainland. It's a very convenient and fast way of transport for islanders as ferries can get stuck and need icebreakers to clear the way.

Last edited by Hiromant; 08-25-2012 at 06:11 AM..

Old 08-25-2012, 02:00 PM

I wish.. driving from Liverpool to Dublin would be a cool experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather