Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: Canada vs. Scandinavia
Canada 69 65.71%
Scandinavia 36 34.29%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 01:25 PM

233 posts, read 333,310 times

Advertisements

Canada! because they have real actual summer.. Scandinavia has better winters but they are mostly more rainy than snowy which I think is more depressing than rainy weather. Plus, Canada has more sun... I would prefer colder winters if I am promised with warm sunny summers:!:!:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 05:27 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
If the choices would be Toronto and Helsinki, I'd take Toronto in a heartbeat.
If they would be Helsinki and Bergen, Helsinki. If Bergen and Iqaluit, Bergen. Bornholm and Halifax, Bornholm.

But yes, Toronto wins Helsinki, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen and Reykjavik, so I'll vote for Canada.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 PM

753 posts, read 837,737 times
Canada, simply because we have a wider variety of climates.

We have many of the same climates as Scandinavia - if you want a cool to cold climate with lots of rain and/or snow, there are plenty of those out on the coasts. If you want a polar/arctic climate of some sort, no shortage of those up north. A continental climate with cold winters and comfortably warm summers - again, plenty of those out here.

However, if you want a climate with hot, humid summers like Southern Ontario, I don't believe you'll find many (if any) of those in Scandinavia. Same with semi-arid climates like you'll find in interior BC, or even Southern Alberta. Not to mention that we have much more sunshine than Scandinavia in many parts of the country.

Scandinavia has some truly stunning scenery, but as far as climate goes they're very much on the cooler and gloomier side of things. Canada has plenty of variety of cold/rainy/gloomy climates like they do, but we also have a decent amount of climates with hot/dry/sunny weather, so for that reason I vote for us.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,921,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningrise View Post
Canada, simply because we have a wider variety of climates.

We have many of the same climates as Scandinavia - if you want a cool to cold climate with lots of rain and/or snow, there are plenty of those out on the coasts. If you want a polar/arctic climate of some sort, no shortage of those up north. A continental climate with cold winters and comfortably warm summers - again, plenty of those out here.

However, if you want a climate with hot, humid summers like Southern Ontario, I don't believe you'll find many (if any) of those in Scandinavia. Same with semi-arid climates like you'll find in interior BC, or even Southern Alberta. Not to mention that we have much more sunshine than Scandinavia in many parts of the country.

Scandinavia has some truly stunning scenery, but as far as climate goes they're very much on the cooler and gloomier side of things. Canada has plenty of variety of cold/rainy/gloomy climates like they do, but we also have a decent amount of climates with hot/dry/sunny weather, so for that reason I vote for us.

Completely agree. I think Scandanavia has a more uniform climate compared to those in Canada. And so would also choose Canada.

Interesting though how you consider places like Toronto, London and Windsor to have hot and humid summers. They look quite cool and refreshing compared to summers around here.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:47 PM

753 posts, read 837,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Interesting though how you consider places like Toronto, London and Windsor to have hot and humid summers. They look quite cool and refreshing compared to summers around here.
Yeah, it's all relative. Sadly we don't have any subtropical areas in Canada, so an average high of 80 in the summer is enough for a city to be considered "hot" out here. To be fair though, even though the averages are a fair bit lower than many US cities, many places in Southern Ontario still get their fair share of 90 - 95 degree days with high humidity, they just don't get them for weeks on end like many places in the States.

Though personally that's okay with me. Although I love warm humid summers, the type of summertime heat you get in the southern/eastern US would probably be a bit too much for me. Southern Ontario has very good summers for the most part, it's too bad we don't get them like that out here on the prairies.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,452 times
Most populated areas in Canada are way too sunny and warm in the summer. Yukon and Nunavut are great temperature wise but they're also dry and sunny. The coldest extremes of Scandinavia like Karasjok, Norway or Svalbard offer more interesting climates that I think I would prefer.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:28 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Relative. An average July in Windsor would be one of the hottest on record in Scandinavia, and comparable to averages in Milan and Barcelona.
Only one location ever in Scandinavia has recorded a 100F day, and even 90F days occur just a few days a year. So Windsor is hot.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times
Canada, Perfect summers and perfect winters. The winters in Scandinavia while cold are not cold enough for me and can get quite mild at times.

P.s the last time I checked Iceland was not part of Scandinavia, infact part of it isn't even on the European tectonic plate.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:57 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,462,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Canada, Perfect summers and perfect winters. The winters in Scandinavia while cold are not cold enough for me and can get quite mild at times.

P.s the last time I checked Iceland was not part of Scandinavia, infact part of it isn't even on the European tectonic plate.
Nordic countries would have been the correct term to use. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that these terminology differences are too subtle for most people outside of Europe to care about in day to day parlance.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:33 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,410,464 times
Parts of Canada get far more thundery activity and hotter summers than Scandi can dream of so it will get the vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather