Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: Canada vs. Scandinavia
Canada 69 65.71%
Scandinavia 36 34.29%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 08:01 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,972 times

Advertisements

I prefer Scandinavia because most of Canada is too cold in winter for me and some places in it are too warm/hot in summer for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 09:34 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
In terms of weather I prefer some places in Canada. In terms of beauty I prefer Scandinavia.
Interesting....I hope you mean architecture

Old 03-15-2015, 09:40 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,989,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Interesting....I hope you mean architecture
Of course.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,445 times
Just saying, Scandinavia has a huge differences in climates as well! So before you say anything, check out the truth about specific places and areas about their climates first.
For example, areas around the baltic sea actually have just as much sunshine as parts of the northern mediteranean sea! People isnt really aware of that.
Also warm/hot and humid days in summer with thunderstorms are deffinatley not uncommon in where i live in Sweden, even if its diffrent from year to year in aumont.
As well you find Winter climates similar to the Canadian in many areas in Scandinavia, it all depends on where you are located with a relatively short distance.
So the big cities does not represent the climate of two diffrent and very big areas such Canada and Scandinavia at all.
If im about to chose a big city in these areas combined with the best climate for me then i would probably go for Montreal. When it comes to other places in generally i would say its equal.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:20 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
It's difficult to narrow down since there is a large variety of climates in Scandinavia and Canada.

Scandinavia has some great climates such as Trondheim (Norway), Jyväskylä (Finland) , Luleå (Sweden), Neskaupstaður (Iceland). Even Denmark's cool oceanic climate isn't too bad.

My favorites in Canada are St. Johns, Newfoundland/Labrador, ; Halifax, Nova Scotia; Labrador City; Saguenay, Quebec; and Greater Sudbury, Ontario.

I will give Canada the edge for having more Dfb/Dfc climates.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:11 AM
tij

453 posts, read 336,895 times
I definitely prefer Canada overall. SW BC has some rather nice climates like Abbotsford, although I'd wish for a bit more sunshine and less rain during the winter and a more even distribution overall. Copenhagen and Bergen pale in comparison.

Southern Canada has significantly milder autumns than Scandinavia, where places like Stockholm struggle to retain warmth into the autumn.

For the comparable climates in the Canadian Maritimes and the Nordics, while the Maritimes are on the wet side and struggle with cool springs, they are often to a degree sunnier than the Scandinavian cities and more interesting during the winter, due to the potential for powerful nor'easters, and they enjoy milder autumns and a higher sun angle.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:02 AM

895 posts, read 602,946 times
Canada is better because it has some (relatively) warmer areas. Windsor, Vancouver, and even Toronto are better than anywhere in Scandinavia imo.

Canada does have horribly cold places like Quebec City, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Saskatoon, etc. but places like Helsinki are equally bad with weaker summers and less sun to compensate for milder winters.

Overall Canada is more continental while Scandinavia is more oceanic.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:56 PM

963 posts, read 854,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post

Overall Canada is more continental while Scandinavia is more oceanic.
And that's why I choose Scandinavia

Old 04-30-2019, 07:41 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,868,950 times
Both suck but I did a few cities:

Canada:

Toronto: D
Vancouver: D-
Victoria: D-
Medicine Hat: E-
Ottawa: E-
Tofino: E-
Montreal: E-
Port Hardy: E-
Calgary: F+
Edmonton: F+
Halifax: F+
Prince George: F
Winnipeg: F
Saskatoon: F
St.John's: F-
Quebec City: F-

Scandinavia:

Copenhagen: E+
Norrkoping: E+
Stockholm: E+
Visby: E+
Gothenburg: E
Stavanger: E
Oslo: E-
Turku: E-
Helsinki: E-
Trondheim: E-
Bergen: F+
Torshavn: F+
Umea: F-
Oulu: F-
Rovaniemi: Z

Basically Canada had a higher proportion of Fs but also some Ds. I call it even overall.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:33 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
The best climate in Scandinavia is Stavanger, which would be a D-/E+.

Vancouver surrounds (the only acceptable climates in Canada) are a C to C-.

Canada wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather