Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 12:48 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,461 times

Advertisements

I like warm days, cool nights, and lots of sun. I like to sit out in the sun and be warm on a spring or summer afternoon, but i also like to live in a place that has decently cool nights for sleeping. Not super cold, but a bit of a chill in the air.

Seems like some of the Western climates might fit the bill for me. I am reading a lot on this forum about how the sunshine and lack of humidity makes temperatures more comfortable in both the winter and the summer.

I do not know if Denver gets enough of a summer for my liking tho. I am not crazy about the idea of snowstorms in May, early June, October, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,757 times
I suggest Albuquerque over Denver

IMO it has a much better climate than Denver

Sunnier and has milder lows.
Earlier springs and later falls.

If you're into gardening, Albuquerque is zone 7a/7b
Denver is more 5a/5b

None of those notorious Denver temperature swings,
one day it's 70F and nice, next day it's below freezing blizzard

Albuquerque climate is the western version of where you live now

Denver's ok too, Albuquerque's climate is better

Old 04-22-2012, 05:21 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
From what I've seen I think you'd like a climate that is like Denver. In any case, like so many others, I'd advise you to go west for your climatic pick. If one doesn't want humidity, anywhere east of the High Plains is out.

Denver's snow in wintertime usually melts in a few days, and it isn't common for the snow to add up into a snowpack, unless they have multiple storms in quick succession (which again isn't common). Bare ground is commonplace in winter, as are warm sunny days. However this will be interspersed by colder, snowy periods. You're more concerned about spring and autumn snow, but I can tell you that from my experience watching their weather spring and autumn snow are even more fleeting than winter snow. The whole event would usually be 1 or 2 days before it pretty much disappears. However snow from September through May does occur in an average year.

Denver actually wouldn't be bad at all for you, but since you don't want the early and late snow, and want somewhat more of a summer, I think there are better choices available. The whole region around Denver has the same "cool" nights in summer, and if you go south you will encounter many places with warmer winters and a shorter snow season, and a hotter or cooler summer, depending on the altitude.

Some places in New Mexico might be good; perhaps some of the drier but still high altitude places in Utah and Arizona may also be worth taking a look. Santa Fe may provide a good starting point as to how you would rate it compared to Denver. Also comparatively rate Sierra Vista, Alamogordo, and Roswell. That should give you an idea of what to look for.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
You might like the summers and winters a bit better than Philadelphia, but the extreme variability and chance of cold weather in the shoulder season makes it unappealing in my mind (and perhaps in yours if our tastes are similar).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather