Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:30 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,001 times

Advertisements

How June ended:

Saturday June 30
•High: 113 at Bullhead City, Ariz.

•Low: 30 at Stanley, Idaho

—

Friday June 29
•Highs: 114 at Bullhead City, Ariz., and Needles, Calif.

•Lows: 30 at Mekoryuk, Alaska, and Stanley, Idaho

—

Thursday June 28
•High: 114 at Bullhead City, Ariz.

•Low: 27 at Wisdom, Mont.

—

Wednesday June 27
•Highs: 115 at Hill City and Phillipsburg, Kan.

•Low: 21 at Stanley, Idaho

—

Tuesday June 26
•Highs: 115 Hill City, Kan., and McCook, Neb

•Lows: 32 at New Stuyahok and Koliganek, Alaska, and Truckee, Calif.

—

Monday June 25
•High: 111 at Hill City, Kan.

•Lows: 32 at Point Hope, Alaska (contiguous 48 states: 34 at Stanley, Idaho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 PM

How July started:

Sunday July 8
•High: 117 at Ocotillo Wells, Calif.

•Lows: 30 at St. George Island, Alaska (contiguous 48 states: 38 at Pahaska, Wyo.)

—

Saturday July 7
•High: 113 at Bullhead City, Ariz.

•Lows: 35 at Wainwright, Alaska (contiguous 48 states: 36 at Stanley, Idaho)

—

Friday July 6
•Highs: 110 at Tacna, Ariz.

•Lows: 36 at Barrow, Alaska, and Stanley, Idaho

—

Thursday July 5
•Highs: 107 at Russellville, Ark., Carbondale, Ill., and Evansville Ind.

•Low: 26 at Silver Lake, Ore.

—

Wednesday July 4
•Highs: 107 at Lamar, Colo., and McCook, Neb.

•Low: 24 at Stanley, Idaho

—

Tuesday July 3
•High: 109 at Laughlin, Nev.

•Lows: 33 at Barrow, Alaska (contiguous 48 states: 36 at West Yellowstone, Mont.

—

Monday July 2
•High: 111 at Bullhead City, Ariz.

•Lows: 32 at Barrow, Alaska (contiguous 48 states: 34 at Stanley, Idaho)

—

Sunday July 1
•High: 112 at Bullhead City, Ariz.

•Low: 32 at Pahaska, Wyo

Sorry took a long time, website didn't update as usual.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:40 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
Sorry took a long time, website didn't update as usual.
Not sure which link you use but here's another one. I think when you update us, July 10 will shock a few people with where the low is. lol

Amazing how time flys by. Gees. I gotta update too.

National High and Low Temperature (for the contiguous United States)

Old 07-11-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Not sure which link you use but here's another one. I think when you update us, July 10 will shock a few people with where the low is. lol

Amazing how time flys by. Gees. I gotta update too.

National High and Low Temperature (for the contiguous United States)
Thanks, I got it saved. I think both will work fine.

Tuesday July 10
•Highs: 121 at Ocotillo Wells, Calif., and Bullhead City, Ariz.

•Lows: 32 at Pilot Point, Alaska (contiguous 48 states: 37 at Saranac Lake, N.Y.)

—

Monday July 9
•High: 118 at Needles, Calif.

•Lows: 30 at St. George Island, Alaska (contiguous 48 states: 36 at West Yellowstone, Mont.)

Old 07-11-2012, 07:00 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Thanks, I got it saved. I think both will work fine.

Tuesday July 10
•Highs: 121 at Ocotillo Wells, Calif., and Bullhead City, Ariz.

•Lows: 32 at Pilot Point, Alaska (contiguous 48 states: 37 at Saranac Lake, N.Y.)
CPC link is lower 48. Thanks for making me aware. Thought it was interesting to see NY having the lowest temp in July.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:41 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times
Alaska doesn't have any official weather stations at high altitudes similar to the likes of Stanley and West Yellowstone, despite of the state's largely mountainous topography. Otherwise, there would be no lower-48 locations showing up in the daily extreme minimums log.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Alaska doesn't have any official weather stations at high altitudes similar to the likes of Stanley and West Yellowstone, despite of the state's largely mountainous topography. Otherwise, there would be no lower-48 locations showing up in the daily extreme minimums log.
McCarthy says the guidelines for temperature eligibility are:

•High and low temperature must be from the conterminous U.S. (excluding Hawaii and Alaska)
•The elevation must not be above 8,500 feet.
•The location must have a population of more than 1,000.
•"Exceptions are made for particularly noteworthy sites such as Death Valley, Calif.," he says.

The USATODAY.com Weather team adds temperature data for Alaska and Hawaii, when one of these states has the highest or lowest for the entire USA. We use data from the temperature and precipitation summaries transmitted from the Anchorage, Alaska and Honolulu weather service offices. When Alaska has the coldest U.S. temperature or Hawaii the warmest, we also list the coldest or warmest for the 48 contiguous states because we know that many weather buffs track these figures.

Wednesday July 11
•High: 118 at Baker, Calif. (128 at Death Valley, CA)

•Lows: 34 at Eureka, Alaska (contiguous 48 states: 40 at Houlton, Maine; Spincich Lake, Mich.; and Stanley, Idaho)

Old 07-12-2012, 10:59 PM

160 posts, read 397,802 times
Quote:
McCarthy says the guidelines for temperature eligibility are:

•High and low temperature must be from the conterminous U.S. (excluding Hawaii and Alaska)
•The elevation must not be above 8,500 feet.
•The location must have a population of more than 1,000.
•"Exceptions are made for particularly noteworthy sites such as Death Valley, Calif.," he says.
Are these guidelines only for that specific source? There are plenty of locations that hold records for all-time state temperature extremes that don't meet one or more of those. I can't for the life of me figure out where Pond, AR even is.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 AM

Supposedly it says:"The national high and low temperature for the contiguous 48 states are compiled by the National Weather Service's Hydrometeorological Prediction Center in Silver Spring, Md., says Kevin McCarthy, Deputy Director of HPC. The national high and low are determined from information provided by local National Weather Service offices. "

I know that yesterday's low in the lower 48 was 40F, not including Alaska, but here in Fraser,CO it was 38F. But since that city is at an elevation of 8574ft. and a population of 910, it wasn't included, even though the Denver Post did list it as the national low. So I guess it really doesn't matter too much, but I guess for "official" purposes, they list those rules.

I did notice the link Cambium gave me lists Death Valley, while the other link I use too, doesn't list it, so now with both links, I can see what's "official" or not.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:02 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,560 times
Here is one of the most useful links from NOAA

National Weather Service Climate

This link is for the Denver-Boulder area, but using the location tab you can easily go to any area of the country. The NOWDATA tab gives the capability to pull up both current stats on temperature and cumulative season snowfall, as well as seasonal averages. It's very useful in the winter to identify local variations in snowfall, for example.

Last year, Denver received 55.6 inches of snowfall, while Boulder got 94.7, Loveland got 62.7 and Ft. Collins only 49.9 inches. Temperatures were about average for the winter, but the Spring brought temps. much above normal.

It's a great resource for very localized statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather