U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:01 AM

1,793 posts, read 2,850,477 times

Advertisements

Ironically, sometimes i wonder if i would enjoy winter more if our winters were a bit more severe and snowy. Maybe i hate winter because i live in an area that is just chilly enough to be miserable and uncomfortable, but not really cold enough to have consistent snow every year. If i lived a bit closer to the mountains (and if i had more money), i wonder if i would get interested in skiing or some other winter hobby that would help me enjoy the winter and not dread it so much.

I wonder sometimes, if i lived somewhere like Syracuse, would i start to have fun in the winter and enjoy the beauty of the snow? Or would i just hate winter even more than i do already?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM

22,254 posts, read 25,442,666 times
I know many people who hate cold and rain but love snow. I think people would enjoy winter more if they had persistent snow cover rather than slush, ice and cold rain most of the time.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM

1,793 posts, read 2,850,477 times
For the record, i credit Cambium's snow scene pics for this thread. As much as i find it depressing to be cold, i simply cannot deny the stunning beauty of the snow.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:22 AM

5,593 posts, read 6,855,381 times
I think you would, at least compared to where you are now, because for many cold with no snow offers the worst of both worlds, and somewhat colder conditions but with a lot of snow offer a superior option. Cold rain is not looked highly upon by most, and in many mild/warm-winter locales such as yours and parts of Europe, that is what people refer to when many of them say they hate winter.

There was a story I read one time about a Swede that came to England and noticed that winter there was like breakup in Sweden, with the rain and mud and so forth, only it lasted for 3+ months instead of one month like in Scandinavia. The Swede commented that it was no wonder that so many Brits hated winter, because it was similar to the breakup season that was also hated by many in Sweden. She said that if they actually experienced real winter conditions that more of them would like it.

I'm inclined to believe that that is the case, since all the warmth lovers would detest the cold either way but a lot of this group would prefer snow over cold rain, if nothing else for the beauty, so the overall percentage of "likes" would go up.

The mild/rainy winters that offer the worst possible option also preclude any real wintertime recreational activities, and it's likely you would like it more if you could partake in that. Both options are too cold for you anyway, right? If you find it depressing to be cold then I doubt that you could truly come to like it, but I suspect you would find it to be an improvement. Of course it's hard to tell bar moving to such a location whether it's any type of cold or just cold without snow, i.e. "breakup-type weather", that makes you depressed.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:24 AM

25,058 posts, read 24,606,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
For the record, i credit Cambium's snow scene pics for this thread. As much as i find it depressing to be cold, i simply cannot deny the stunning beauty of the snow.
I used to live near Lehighton and the winters up there were very cold and very snowy. But, summers weren't as hot as they here along the lower Susquehanna.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:12 AM

12,438 posts, read 11,295,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I used to live near Lehighton and the winters up there were very cold and very snowy. But, summers weren't as hot as they here along the lower Susquehanna.

Well as I pointed out, Tobyhanna PA (Poconos) get almost 60" of snow annually compared to 20" here. It is about 2.5 hours away.

I always remember the change when you drove thru the Lehighton Tunnel how it was noticeably colder with snow on the ground when driving thru in winter. You can even see how the trees on one side of the tunnel are bare sometimes while on the south side are leafing out.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 AM

121 posts, read 255,372 times
I agree with the worst of both worlds comment. Places with cold rainy slushy winters often tend to have hotter humid summers...so in a way not really enjoyable.

If you can handle/like snowy winters, you can pretty much enjoy the rest of the year with pleasant summers and fall.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:45 PM

15,243 posts, read 14,813,294 times
If you don't mind shoveling and scraping snow and ice off your car, then maybe you would like it more.

Am I the only one who enjoys a cold, wind-driven rain? Of course I wouldn't want it all the time, but I have an appreciation for such weather, especially in the autumn.

Last edited by ilovemycomputer90; 04-27-2012 at 01:57 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 01:47 PM

5,593 posts, read 6,855,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Am I the only one who enjoys a cold, wind-driven rain? Of course I wouldn't want it all the time, but I have an appreciating for such weather, especially in the autumn.
I do, outside of winter.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:56 PM

22,254 posts, read 25,442,666 times
I love and adore torrential rain with gale force winds. Of course in winter I prefer snow but if I cannot have snow then I'll take the heavy rain and gale force winds, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or