Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:46 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Here's a video that isn't cropped like the last one. This is a suburb north of Dallas (pronounced plane-oh for the fellow Brits, Canucks, and Aussies/Kiwis on here ) . I would say this is a garden variety American thunderstorm that we get a lot of in my area (Harrisburg, PA area)

At least everyone that doesn't live in Australia, Canada, or US can see why I'm bummed about the lack of thunderstorms around here

I don't think you've missed anything. Maybe in May we will get some, or I believe next week is when we may get the first t-storms of the season. I think around a month ago I saw some flashes and heard thunder. I remember as a kid at the NJ Shore some wicked summer storms and the power always getting knocked out for an hour so too. Fun stuff. I think this is the first time I'm seeing the possibility of t-storms in the forecast as we start warming up now.

Last edited by tom77falcons; 04-29-2012 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:59 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I don't understand what point you're trying to prove here. You remind me of one of those people who complains about the government and how everything is run but the difference being this is the weather and there's nothing we can do to change it.
Actually I don't "complain about the government and how everything is run" and am not anything like those people. I actually can't stand people who do that myself especially when they aren't doing anything about it.

By my logic, it makes more sense to complain about the weather, because you can't change it, so you're stuck with it. Anything you can change, you don't need to complain about, because you can do something about it.

Quote:
Thunderstorms here will never reach intensity levels of the most severe in the USA, and in a way I'm quite happy for that. Floridian storms look amazing but the midwestern storms look a bit terrifying. I quite like our watered down versions.
That was the point I was trying to prove, in addition to the point that people in the UK vastly overplay how intense thunderstorms are here based on one or two distant memories, when in reality this is one of the most boring countries in the entire world for those who enjoy storms.

I guess above all I am, like the OP, expressing my disappointment in the fact we never/rarely get real storms here and that I wish it was as easy as 1-2-3 to move to Florida but due to work and other obligations it probably won't happen for many years.

Quote:
If only I had recorded this one storm back in June 2009, that was 'proper'. There are a few videos on the internet but none of them capture how amazing it really was, it lasted about 20 minutes and there was lightning every 10 seconds with building-shaking thunder, hail, torrential rain, power cuts, you name it. All sorts of lightning too. 1 inch of rain fell and it played havoc with electricity, esp. train stations.
That description would be a typical weekly occurrence in most USA cities in summer though. Lightning every ten seconds is not very intense. Torrential rain? In a thunderstorm? Really? What you say about how much worse it seemed in reality than in the video also obviously applies to the vids of these far more intense and typical USA spring/summer storms. But anyway you said you enjoy our weak little rumbly-storms so you are living in the right place then.

Quote:

I believe ya. England does get that one golden storm every now and then, you just might be waiting a while for it to happen. I found one video filmed in Guildford that filmed a +IG strike and set off the car alarms around his neighborhood
Even I admitted England gets the odd severe storm, but mark my words it's fair to say you are waiting in time periods of years between them (if you have high standards like I do and don't consider 4 rumbles a thunderstorm).

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 04-29-2012 at 09:10 AM..

Old 04-29-2012, 09:06 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,362 times
Who cares about how many storms the UK gets?! If you don't like it move away!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,253 times
Quote:
That sucks. Most of the high thunderstorm activity are places I'm never going to live in, and the one country I would consider living in is in a depression. Just great glad I'm American then.

No way. Those weren't thunderstorms, they were hiccups

This is what I mean by thunderstorm:

Amazing Lightning Strikes - Arizona Monsoon Storm July 24, 2011 - YouTube

Storm isn't exclusive in the monsoon region. I get these types of thunderstorms in the spring too. My fiancee was amazed when she visited for the first time and saw a storm like this in Pennsylvania
Or this in the pampas (play at 2:30):

INCREDIBLE storm structure from Argentina - YouTube

This is what you called a "thunderstorm"

Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Who cares about how many storms the UK gets?!
I do, because I enjoy thunderstorms.

Quote:
If you don't like it move away!

Yeah because life's just that straightforward and simple.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I do, because I enjoy thunderstorms.

Yeah because life's just that straightforward and simple.

Well moaning about it won't help will it?! I like them too but I just accept that we don't really get many here

Old 04-29-2012, 09:30 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Actually I don't "complain about the government and how everything is run" and am not anything like those people. I actually can't stand people who do that myself especially when they aren't doing anything about it.

That was the point I was trying to prove, in addition to the point that people in the UK vastly overplay how intense thunderstorms are here based on one or two distant memories, when in reality this is one of the most boring countries in the entire world for those who enjoy storms.

I guess above all I am, like the OP, expressing my disappointment in the fact we never/rarely get real storms here and that I wish it was as easy as 1-2-3 to move to Florida but due to work and other obligations it probably won't happen for many years.

That description would be a typical weekly occurrence in most USA cities in summer though. Lightning every ten seconds is not very intense. Torrential rain? In a thunderstorm? Really? What you say about how much worse it seemed in reality than in the video also obviously applies to the vids of these far more intense and typical USA spring/summer storms. But anyway you said you enjoy our weak little rumbly-storms so you are living in the right place then.
Lol, I didn't say you were one of those people, I said you reminded me of those people.

And and I enjoyed that storm I got in 2009, and I wish they could occur more frequently, so no, I am not living in the right place, since they do not occur frequently at all. But, I like where I live for more reasons than one, so I'd find it hard to leave just because of the weather.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:

And and I enjoyed that storm I got in 2009, and I wish they could occur more frequently, so no, I am not living in the right place, since they do not occur frequently at all. But, I like where I live for more reasons than one, so I'd find it hard to leave just because of the weather.
So what date was that 2009 storm? I was living in a relatively thundery part of the country in 2009 and the only "active" thunderstorm I remember was on June 15th, and some areas further north got a really good storm on July 7th.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:53 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Yes, it was the 15th. There was another one in May that was at night which was pretty good too. Of course nothing on the Floridian storms but for the UK it's about as good as you can expect really.

Funnily enough I don't recall the one on the 7th but looking at the records there was indeed a storm on the 7th of July.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:15 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Well moaning about it won't help will it?! I like them too but I just accept that we don't really get many here
If it sucks it sucks. Neither pretending it doesn't suck nor whining excessively will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather