Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:29 AM

25,040 posts, read 27,805,734 times

Advertisements

I'm quite enjoying my stay here in southern England, but I'm very disappointed that there are no springtime thunderstorms. It's mostly just a couple flashes a lightning, a rumble of thunder here and there, and that's it. And plenty of rain. I'm missing severe thunderstorm/tornado season back home. Which places in Europe (or the British Isles) have high thunderstorm activity in the spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 11:34 AM

22,139 posts, read 29,456,548 times
Southern Europe, such as Greece, southern Italy and southern Spain, I believe, have the highest frequency of thunderstorms in Europe.

In the UK, Kent and East Anglia have over 14 days of thunder on average. There's been a lot of thunder/lightning in parts of England this spring.. some places have gotten nothing or little though.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:06 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,347,463 times
Well yes you did come to just about one of the least thundery countries in the world, let alone Europe, so I'm not surprised you aren't happy with what most dumbos here consider a "super epic cool wicked better-than-anything-in-texas super violent thunderstorm", but is actually a weedy boring shower with about 2 minutes of stair-rod rain, one overhead thunderclap, a couple of flashes and then it's over.

The best place in Europe for storms is in the Eastern European countries, and also Northern Italy, around the southern part of the alps. At least, the NASA Google Earth lightning density map indicates such; with these places having by far the most lightning.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:10 PM

22,139 posts, read 29,456,548 times
Is that so? I'm sure I read somewhere southern Europe has the most thunderstorms, around Greece and also Turkey (not Europe really), but hey, if I'm wrong I'm wrong

Old 04-27-2012, 04:23 PM

3,295 posts, read 6,988,462 times
I recall reading a weather book somewhere that said that places in Eastern Europe had a lot of thunderstorms in spring, such as Romania, Bulgaria etc. near the Black Sea, but I don't know how much that compares to southern Europe.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:25 PM

15,317 posts, read 17,148,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm quite enjoying my stay here in southern England, but I'm very disappointed that there are no springtime thunderstorms. It's mostly just a couple flashes a lightning, a rumble of thunder here and there, and that's it. And plenty of rain. I'm missing severe thunderstorm/tornado season back home. Which places in Europe (or the British Isles) have high thunderstorm activity in the spring?
As far as I'm aware, there hasn't really been any thunderstorms in your area.

Here we got some rumbles of thunder back in March, but that's it.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:27 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,347,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Is that so? I'm sure I read somewhere southern Europe has the most thunderstorms, around Greece and also Turkey (not Europe really), but hey, if I'm wrong I'm wrong
Going by lightning density, the most lightning prone areas in descending order:

Romania
Bulgaria
Macedonia
Albania
Croatia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Southern Turkey
Western Greece
Northern Italy
Southern France
North East Spain

Least :

Iceland
Norway
Sweden
United Kingdom

I generally considered Greece and Turkey to be in Eastern Europe, but southern, whatever.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:16 PM

5,587 posts, read 10,588,863 times
Eh and there was me thinking we'd had a lot of thunder activity this month, not by quality but by quantity - it's certainly been a thundery month by the northern English standards I'm used to with thunder events within earshot this year so far easily into double figures. I remember from my time in Poland that they had some really good ones in May and June - those where it would rain torrentially for an hour in the evening but dry out completely by the next morning. Here the ground hasn't had time to dry out between showers, they've come that often.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,539,654 times
When I was on my placement in Romania (Summer 2008) there were some severe thunderstorms maybe 2-3 times per week. I was about 100km east of Timisoara.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:11 AM

25,040 posts, read 27,805,734 times
That sucks. Most of the high thunderstorm activity are places I'm never going to live in, and the one country I would consider living in is in a depression. Just great glad I'm American then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Eh and there was me thinking we'd had a lot of thunder activity this month, not by quality but by quantity - it's certainly been a thundery month by the northern English standards I'm used to with thunder events within earshot this year so far easily into double figures. I remember from my time in Poland that they had some really good ones in May and June - those where it would rain torrentially for an hour in the evening but dry out completely by the next morning. Here the ground hasn't had time to dry out between showers, they've come that often.
No way. Those weren't thunderstorms, they were hiccups

This is what I mean by thunderstorm:

Amazing Lightning Strikes - Arizona Monsoon Storm July 24, 2011 - YouTube

Storm isn't exclusive in the monsoon region. I get these types of thunderstorms in the spring too. My fiancee was amazed when she visited for the first time and saw a storm like this in Pennsylvania
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather