Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4d View Post
Was checking the weather history for Singapore, and apparently a 27°C (81°F) dewpoint is pretty common, and it happens all year round. I saw quite a number of 28°C and 29°C dewpoints, and even a 32°C dewpoint! You can check it out at the link below:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/WSAP/2004/4/9/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_sta tename=NA]History | Weather Underground

Day: 9 April 2004
Time: 11:00am
Temperature: 32°C (90°F)
Heat Index: 54.2°C (129.6°F)
Dew point: 32°C (90°F)
Humidity: 100%

I can't remember what I was doing on that day. Sweating, perhaps!
Somehow that just seems suspect. I'm guessing an error with the instrument. Not uncommon to see wet bulb thermometers malfunction, usually by their wick running dry, causing them to read the actual air temperature rather than dewpoint. The graphs in that link further back up my suggestion, the dewpoint seems to be the exact same as the temp most of the time, which is rarely ever the case and why does both the dewpoint and air temp suddenly flat-line after 8pm and again early in the morning, not to mention several hours of missing data overnight? I think this is a dud weather station we're dealing with here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 AM

678 posts, read 1,205,280 times
Some people aren't used to Equatorial climate. It happens a lot through Amazon, Africa and Asia. Even here we've had some episodes of unbereable heat index last summer.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I believe him. I don't think NY reaches over 96F every summer.
There's probably a good portion of summers where that doesn't occur, but I don't imagine it's hard for NYC to get up to 96F. At any rate if it did get up there it would be well into the 70's at night if last summer is any guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Somehow that just seems suspect. I'm guessing an error with the instrument. Not uncommon to see wet bulb thermometers malfunction, usually by their wick running dry, causing them to read the actual air temperature rather than dewpoint. The graphs in that link further back up my suggestion, the dewpoint seems to be the exact same as the temp most of the time, which is rarely ever the case and why does both the dewpoint and air temp suddenly flat-line after 8pm and again early in the morning, not to mention several hours of missing data overnight? I think this is a dud weather station we're dealing with here.
It does seem that it is a dud weather station, dew point-wise anyway. Nevertheless it's a good bet that it's not uncommon for Singapore to record a dew point in excess of 80F.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 AM

38 posts, read 60,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post

I don't know much about weather stations and the measuring instruments, but all I know is that I can't stand heat and humidity!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:51 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Hmm... Yet another reason for me to steer clear of that island.
The UK? Clearly such conditions would be rare.

Even St. John's has been warm and humid. Environment Canada's website says the record humidex was 101 F in July 1983. The wunderground heat index listed for July 6, 1983 sounds more accurate though. Apparently it was 86 F with a dewpoint of 70 F (heat index 90 F) that day.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:28 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
PM was referring to Singapore I believe.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
PM was referring to Singapore I believe.
Whoops I think you're right.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I can confirm that I was referring to Singapore, not the British Isles. I doubt that the dew point has ever reached 80F in Britain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather