Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:38 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,557,510 times

Advertisements

I arrived in Singapore today; I'm going to stay here for a few days and I am hence delighted to spend some time in this fantastic city, being particularly fond of it.

As usual, the weather was good, even excellent in late afternoon with very clear skies towards the evening.

The temperature stayed at around 31°C until sunset, which I found completely comfortable due to abundant breezes.

However tonight (11PM) after walking for a good hour I started feeling that the weather was unusually hot, strangely sultry, which had almost never occurred to me in Singapore in the past (and I've stayed here for several months).

Here's why :

Current conditions :
Temp : 28°C
Humidity : 94%
Wind : calm

Or, put in another way, a dew point of 27°C ! Isn't that rare even by world standards? I had never seen such a high DP in Singapore (or anywhere else, for that matter - perhaps in Hong Kong in summer and I'm not even sure about that). The highest I'd seen it climb to was slightly above 25°C.

I wouldn't say that I suffered from it by any means, as I even walked for a good hour in these conditions and barely started sweating, but we're clearly starting to exit my comfort zone here, and that's not a small thing given the extent to which I'm built for heat - those who know me can confirm this. I would still take that anytime over any temps below 18°C though, but still, I said recently in another thread that I hadn't found my "upper limit" for moisture appreciation yet, and fate proved me somehow wrong at least.

As I said, it seems tonight is an exceptionally sultry night in Singapore though, as, I repeat, I'd never seen a DP much above 25°C here, and usually around 23-24°C (which are perfect to me).

What do you think ? How would you guys feel in a 27°C dewpoint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 10:44 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
I'd probably faint from heat stroke; seriously.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,814,385 times
Being British I'd just complain to the nearest person about how oppressive it is!

Old 04-29-2012, 11:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
I've been comfortable in a 24°C dew point; sunset / nighttime; temperature was about the same with a breeze. The humidity was incredibly obvious. It's an odd feeling; you can sense the water.

Small increases in dew points at higher numbers make a large difference; I'd need it to be summer first before I can imagine a 27°C dew point but it sounds gross. Dew point is -11°C here, my lips are chapping.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:02 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
You've found a personal threshold. Congratulations , This should further refine your knowledge of what your body is built for and its limits.

As for myself, in those conditions asphyxiation is a real threat, plus heat stroke. If I could not get inside within a few minutes, it would be a contest of which would make me pass out first: not being able to breathe in the thick humidity, or the heat stress. I've been in those sort of conditions, and there's a feeling of an elephant being on my chest in that sort of weather, and my oxygen intake was insufficient. Needless to say I went indoors immediately.

This is definitely a case study for different preferences and bodily builds. In pretty much identical conditions, where we may as well be standing next to each other, you would feel it as slightly sultry, whereas I would perceive potentially lethal levels of humidity.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:04 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,702 times
Galveston, Texas usually records a few days with dew points in excess (or very close to) of 80*F during the hottest part of the summer...

Here is the data for August from the past 5 years (avg/max):

2011: 75/79 (10 days above 78)
2010: 75/79 (21 days above 78)
2009: 75/81 (2 days above 80, 14 days above 78)
2008: 75/81 (1 day above 80, 12 days above 78)
2007: 76/82 (5 days above 80, 21 days above 78)

Actually doesn't feel too bad if there's some wind, great weather for walking at night

Old 04-29-2012, 11:28 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,145,938 times
If I had been there, I would have started sweating profusely within seconds. I probably would have had trouble breathing as well. Breathing hot, humid air feels like breathing in hot, wet cotton balls.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
As for myself, in those conditions asphyxiation is a real threat, plus heat stroke. If I could not get inside within a few minutes, it would be a contest of which would make me pass out first: not being able to breathe in the thick humidity, or the heat stress. I've been in those sort of conditions, and there's a feeling of an elephant being on my chest in that sort of weather, and my oxygen intake was insufficient. Needless to say I went indoors immediately.
Just to make sure, did you experience those conditions at night (no sun) and with the temperature (low 80s) barely above the dew point? Otherwise, it's not a fair comparison.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Walking around at night might not be too bad. Sleeping would be nigh on impossible for me though.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,557,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
You've found a personal threshold. Congratulations , This should further refine your knowledge of what your body is built for and its limits.
Thanks though I cannot really say that I disliked it - what made me wish that the DP was a few degrees lower is the fact that I walked for an hour. Otherwise, that's perfectly fine (That's also obviously the opinion of many Singaporeans, which I saw spending a considerable amount of time outside tonight, eating, having drinks, chatting, etc. pretty like every other night).
I also wonder how spending the past year in Nice's sissy mild weather has somehow slightly moderated my ability to handle heat.
Perhaps I wouldn't even have noticed the 27°C DP last year when I was actually living in Singapore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather