U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:23 AM

1,793 posts, read 2,842,946 times

Advertisements

Does anyone actually rely on Accuweather for forecasts after they botched the winter of 2012 so badly? I was on Accuweather's website reading their hurricane predictions and it suddenly hit me, why am i even reading their forecasts? Does anyone actually take them seriously anymore? I read the blogs of some local amateur forecasters, and they are not perfect but they certainly come closer than Accuweather's highly-paid crew. The worst is that not only did they mess up the forecast so badly, but I do not recall them coming out and admitting that they botched it and offered an explanation as to why the winter turned out the way it did. I know from the local blogs that it was because of a lack of a blocking pattern in the North Atlantic, but i do not recall Accuweather admitting they were way off and spending much time explaining about the North Atlantic Oscillation in their blogs.

I would be interested to see if their ratings have gone down significantly in recent months. I am not sure if they are publicly traded, but i might do some research to see if they have a ticker symbol and if their stock price has taken a beating.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 AM

73,964 posts, read 57,397,867 times
Maybe this is how they do it.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:52 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,648,036 times
Inaccuweather is a joke, just like any other site that is not of the official meteorology agency for each country concerned. Innaccuweather, wunderground etc seem to pull their own forecasts out of a hat.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 AM

66 posts, read 92,715 times
At least here in Brazil, seeing the 25-day forecast and nothing was pretty much the same... And until sometime ago, Rio's historic average was 0°F in all months, haha!

Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 AM

5,593 posts, read 6,830,775 times
Their local forecasts are among the worst of the bunch, mostly past 5 days, though. The 25-day forecast has no utility at all from what I've seen; one would probably have better luck using verbatim GFS model data past 300 hours out than ACW's 25-day forecast. That said they often document in their news articles weather events throughout the world that few other outlets cover, and their long-range pattern and other forecasts are competitive with the other forecasting services (in terms of accuracy).

So, their local forecasts are pretty much bunk, but they do document "weather news" rather well, and they do have talent on board with their long-range forecasting.

I agree that they shouldn't try to cover up their mistakes, and they should go more in-depth with the weather patterns, and explaining what went right or wrong. This is a problem with deterministic long-range forecasts in general, which often just declare something like it's out of a hat, without explaining the confidence levels, and all the factors that would have to come together for it to verify, and what could go wrong/if it does go wrong what could happen, as they should explain. I admit that my own Laurentian winter forecast was dead wrong, as was many others. However my own prediction and Geoff Sharp's prediction of a cold winter on a hemispheric scale verified quite nicely. Europe had a cold winter and so did China (the coldest in 27 years in fact). Alaska also had one of the coldest winters since settlement, and even the southern hemisphere had a cold winter (though this was in N.H. summer). North America ex-Alaska just had really rotten luck. It's the only place in the world that has had a constant heat bubble on it since November, but I admit that my own forecast was wrong, which is more than some others do.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:12 AM

1,793 posts, read 2,842,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Maybe this is how they do it.
Hahaha possibly the best post i have seen on this forum.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 AM

3,133 posts, read 3,799,017 times
I took notice of the Accuweather 2011-12 winter forecast as I was in North America last December, kind of surprises me how they word the forecasts as if their predictions are a done deal. Most of these forecasts whether by a private company or government should be taken with a grain of salt, they're not all that accurate generally.

The seasonal outlooks we get here from the Bureau of Meteorology vary in confidence depending on the region thankfully they point out these details to us.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 AM

16,201 posts, read 9,180,717 times
Accuweather is indeed a joke....wunderground used to be good because they used to get their forecasts straight from NWS/NOAA but now it just seems like they just randomly pull numbers out of their ass..

Old 04-30-2012, 12:04 PM

121 posts, read 254,376 times
So, then which is the most accurate weather forecast source as of now?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 PM

7,023 posts, read 9,521,180 times
Noah. He knew that 40-day rainstorm was going to happen well in advance, hence he started on the Ark long before. Oh hang on, I meant NOAA.

Here in the UK the metoffice are probably the most accurate in a short term sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or