Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 PM

414 posts, read 795,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Given the range of subjective preferences on this forum, I see no point in even examining the responses.
The question is directed to personal preferences. It isn't designed to arrive at a global "F" country which would be impossible, Antarctica would go the closest but even this wouldn't receive a unanimous F rating.

On Gambia, it got singled out because its highest point is only 54 m. Therefore there's no respite from its default hot and humid climate. Chad and Niger have elevated areas- granted not many people live there but for the sake of this argument these areas should be taken into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,948,464 times
Certainly would give entire countries an F.

Ireland
Iceland
Scotland
Estonia

Maybe Denmark aswell.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:01 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,980,431 times
Oh, just off the top of my head, there's Venezuela, Guayana, Suriname, French Guiana, Paraguay, Panama, all of the Lesser Antilles, Nigeria, Cameroon, the Central African Republic, both Congos, Sudan, Niger, Mauritania, Mali, Senegal, The Gambia, Guinea, Ghana, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

I could probably post a few others, but you get the idea. Generally any country in the latitudinal tropics and with no highland territory is at risk. I may seem hard on these climates, but to me they're all at the bottom of the barrel. If a place has some tall highlands they usually escape being all failing; I rate some subtropical highlands better than an F grade (but never any better than C). Guatemala for example, is not on my all-failing list. Neither is Kenya or Brazil (Brazil has a small chunk of highland territory). India really takes advantage of this effect as well, though it's confined to the north.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:18 AM

497 posts, read 980,904 times
North Korea

Old 05-02-2012, 08:00 AM

252 posts, read 734,631 times
Saudi Arabia
Kuwait
Qatar
UAE
Bahrain
Oman
Sudan
Niger
Mali

Old 05-02-2012, 06:08 PM

414 posts, read 795,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
India really takes advantage of this effect as well, though it's confined to the north.
How about Ooty? It's in southern India and really took me by surprise when it was rated here:

Ooty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's cooler than Sydney btw. I'd be interested to know how much of Australia gets an F from you. I hazard a guess that only the Snowy Mountains, Victorian high country and parts of Tasmania escape it for you.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,980,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxnerd86 View Post
How about Ooty? It's in southern India and really took me by surprise when it was rated here:

Ooty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's cooler than Sydney btw. I'd be interested to know how much of Australia gets an F from you. I hazard a guess that only the Snowy Mountains, Victorian high country and parts of Tasmania escape it for you.
I didn't know about that one. It would get better than an F from me, probably. I'd be inclined to rate it a D.

As for how much of Australia gets an F from me, I'd hazard a guess that it's the vast majority of the country, and you're probably right about the exceptions.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:30 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,286,191 times
Most European countries
Maybe some of the "-stan" countries too
Canada
Greenland
Mongolia

Russia is super close to being 100% "F" but Sochi saves it.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,649,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Most European countries
Maybe some of the "-stan" countries too
Canada
Greenland
Mongolia

Russia is super close to being 100% "F" but Sochi saves it.
Curious to know if you'd give the UK and Ireland an "F" ?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,723,508 times
Kiribati, Singapore - in fact most low-lying equatorial places are an F, there are few exceptions - bar Galapagos Islands - which is an Ecuador territory.
Most African and South American tropical countries have significant highland areas, and in the Middle East even Suadi Arabia, Iraq etc do as well..
Even Panama in Central America reaches 3500 metres elevation.
Qatar and Bahrain are the only Middle Eastern countries without elevation, but they are not an F due to an acceptable cool season.
And I thought Greenland was a Denmark territory?
This is the only cold place I'd give an F for the whole country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather