Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
A 5 27.78%
B 4 22.22%
C 3 16.67%
D 4 22.22%
F 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,324,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
These would be my comments as well. Don't like this precipitation pattern.
I feel like you're a bit overly against dry summers. If the precipitation is high enough (like this place) the plants will generally stay green for at least a few months. They're adapted. Might be a month or two of slightly dry-ish looking landscape but not much.

If you look at the Koppen classification, the amount of precipitation needed to escape being considered semi-arid is the lowest for a dry summer climate and highest for a wet summer climate. Precipitation in the hotter months tends to evaporate and so is not as efficient for giving water to plants. Then again, this climate has little difference between winter and summer temperatures so it might not matter much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 06:49 AM

497 posts, read 980,991 times
A

Very nice. When the temps are great I can make concessions for shortcomings, like a wet/dry season.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,536,462 times
Lows start being hot when they exceed 25-26°C imho, and cool when they fall below 18-20°C.

Nothing wrong with lows of 21°C. That's comfortable, yet on the cool side actually - exactly the average August low of Nice (1981-2010) so I know what I'm talking about
21°C would be a average low for late winter in my dream climate (around 19°C at the depth of winter).

Old 05-04-2012, 09:58 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,981,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
21°C would be a average low for late winter in my dream climate (around 19°C at the depth of winter).
Yet another reason for me to stay clear of your dream world; that sounds awful. Then again if I'm not mistaken you like a seasonless climate, so it would be about the same in summertime. Still awful, though.

In my dream climate a low above 10C is rare at any time of year. I love the cool nighttime lows. I'll counter your point. What's wrong with a bit of frost on a summertime morning? It lends more gravitas to the purified air, energizes the soul, and you can actually tell it's nighttime just by the feel of the air. Plus there's lower humidity, makes the weather more interesting instead of heat in perpetuity, and it's terrific for sleeping. Cool nights are also associated with dry air so that's a plus for me and many others. It's only on cool/cold, dry nights that I actually feel like I'm breathing air, rather than some polluted mixture. Stargazing is also better the colder and drier it gets.

Strangely enough a low of around 3C is "comfortable, yet on the cool side" for me, so I guess you should think of it as the same good feeling you get on a 21C low. The gulf between the same comfort levels for us is vast, yet it does exist. That's part of what makes this forum so interesting.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
What's wrong with a bit of frost on a summertime morning? It lends more gravitas to the purified air, energizes the soul, and you can actually tell it's nighttime just by the feel of the air. Plus there's lower humidity, makes the weather more interesting instead of heat in perpetuity, and it's terrific for sleeping. Cool nights are also associated with dry air so that's a plus for me and many others. It's only on cool/cold, dry nights that I actually feel like I'm breathing air, rather than some polluted mixture.
Frost in the summer is a horror for mostly vegetation reasons in my eye. Any climate that does that is an instant F in my view. It's the type of an interesting I can do without. Freezing nights is annoying sleeping weather in my view if I want to have fresh air; at the minimum windows closed, most likely I'd need the heat on. Freezing mornings (unless the day time is also not going to be much warmer) are a nuisance for dressing, why would I want to wear layers in the summer?

An interesting low would be enough to feel a slight coolness so that for a short time it doesn't have the normal summer heat feel. A neither warm or cool temperature enough to sit outside without a jacket reading a newspaper or drinking coffee, something similar indoor temperature but slightly cooler. I have fond memories of nice summer mornings, more so than any other time of year. Usually in the 60s or briefly in the upper 50s, I feel more inspired to get outside early in the morning than the rest of the year.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:01 PM

Garden City is a somewhat warmer than my ideal I described for summer lows. But still close. Also, since the days average around 76°F I'd have less interest in a brief coolish period.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:54 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,981,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Frost in the summer is a horror for mostly vegetation reasons in my eye.
Hardier plants have no problem with it, but you're not a cold-hardiness connoisseur when it comes to vegetation .

Old 05-04-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Hardier plants have no problem with it, but you're not a cold-hardiness connoisseur when it comes to vegetation .
Nope.

Though come to think of, I like visiting alpine areas when the vegetation is out; they're rather interesting. Not sure if they get frosts while vegetation is out, but I suspect the plants can deal with mild frosts. Alpine areas more so the arctic areas are more prone to mid summer frosts.

Alpine flowers:

Plants are desperate to come out as soon as snow melts:

Still, I'd prefer Garden City with its much longer vegetation season and lusher vegetation in general.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:08 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,451,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I feel like you're a bit overly against dry summers. If the precipitation is high enough (like this place) the plants will generally stay green for at least a few months. They're adapted. Might be a month or two of slightly dry-ish looking landscape but not much.

If you look at the Koppen classification, the amount of precipitation needed to escape being considered semi-arid is the lowest for a dry summer climate and highest for a wet summer climate. Precipitation in the hotter months tends to evaporate and so is not as efficient for giving water to plants. Then again, this climate has little difference between winter and summer temperatures so it might not matter much.
Perhaps I am. I think plants (mainly trees) that can stay green through a dry season - such as the one in California - are not as lush as the ones which are found in wet summer climates. They have hard leaves. And grasses definitely do go dormant unless irrigated.

Also while greenery is a big part of why I like wet summers, it's not the only reason. I get tired of monotonous dry sunny conditions. Rain is necessary to freshen things up and keep things interesting.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:27 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,520,360 times
I like rain in summer to keep things green but also to break up the monotony as MrMarbles says. I like a good thunderstorm too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather