Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 02:09 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,064,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
On our THIRD overcast day in a row, the MTD daily average is dropping like a brick and the forecast naturally predicts nothing but cloud and rain as far as the eye can see.
Oh, your third consecutive overcast day? Try living here -- we routinely go weeks at a time with hardly a single ray of sunshine.

Quote:
54.4 hours for th first 9 days.
So an average of over six hours per day? Significantly above average and hardly cause for complaint by any standard.

I get that you don't live in Mecca (or whatever your dream climate is) but reading you complain about Melbourne's weather is very aggravating to those of us who have to put up with worse conditions. Although I suppose Weatherfan would take the same view of my posts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 03:37 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,406,654 times
We're lucky if August gets over 100 hours here, and it's meant to be a SUMMER month.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:20 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,593,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Oh, your third consecutive overcast day? Try living here -- we routinely go weeks at a time with hardly a single ray of sunshine.

That's utter nonsense, as well you know. Anyone who studied the average percentages and variabilities of monthly totals at Ch'ch would be able to see this. It's not even true of Invercargill, let alone Ch'ch.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:27 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,348,472 times
Quote:

So an average of over six hours per day? Significantly above average and hardly cause for complaint by any standard.

I get that you don't live in Mecca (or whatever your dream climate is) but reading you complain about Melbourne's weather is very aggravating to those of us who have to put up with worse conditions. Although I suppose Weatherfan would take the same view of my posts...
He should think himself lucky he wasn't around during May and June of 1963 when just 29 hours of sun (from memory) were recorded within a 30 day period. (I'm using iPad atm so don't have access to Melbourne sunshine database which is stored on the PC).

Old 08-10-2012, 06:55 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,951,980 times
Quote:
Ya it's not exactly sunny here either in winter. Uniform grey is the main theme. Spend a winter here and I guarantee you'll be thinking you were back home.
If anything, reading Joe90's posts suggest that his part of the SOuth Island is getting more sunshine this winter than Melbourne

Quote:

Believe it or not, that wasn't a complaint, just a statement saying i got that much sunshine. Notice how I made mention of a "decent start to the month a few posts back.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:41 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,648,659 times
Quote:
Ya it's not exactly sunny here either in winter. Uniform grey is the main theme. Spend a winter here and I guarantee you'll be thinking you were back home.
If anything, reading Joe90's posts suggest that his part of the SOuth Island is getting more sunshine this winter than Melbourne

Believe it or not, that wasn't a complaint, just a statement saying i got that much sunshine. Notice how I made mention of a "decent start to the month a few posts back.
The average here is higher than Melbourne, by an average 40 hours per month for June, July, and August. You're way ahead for August so far, with only 16 hours here so far. The last 4 weeks would be lucky to have had 70 hours. A contrast to last August with 250 hours.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,406,654 times
A lametacular 5.5 hours sun today, ruined by cloud.

45 hours td

Old 08-10-2012, 01:48 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,593,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The average here is higher than Melbourne, by an average 40 hours per month for June, July, and August. You're way ahead for August so far, with only 16 hours here so far. The last 4 weeks would be lucky to have had 70 hours. A contrast to last August with 250 hours.
And that 4-week total would be exceptionally low for you - probably very few instances in the entire record. But your shortfalls have only been very short-term in a general background of enhanced sunshine - we're sitting on our lowest 36-month totals since the early 1990s, which incorporated the record low 1992 tally.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:49 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,662,589 times
Quote:
On our THIRD overcast day in a row, the MTD daily average is dropping like a brick and the forecast naturally predicts nothing but cloud and rain as far as the eye can see.

54.4 hours for th first 9 days.
Hope you're enjoying it.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:06 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,648,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
And that 4-week total would be exceptionally low for you - probably very few instances in the entire record. But your shortfalls have only been very short-term in a general background of enhanced sunshine - we're sitting on our lowest 36-month totals since the early 1990s, which incorporated the record low 1992 tally.
Shortfalls do seem to have been reliably corrected a lot over the last few years. Long may it last. This current spell is getting a bit old now, but does have the advantage of making sunny spells seem special.

The Nelson Evening Mail mentioned that Whakatane is leading the sunshine stakes again, but didn't show the total. When will this travesty end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather