U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 AM

5,127 posts, read 7,610,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Motueka. The 39C was actually 38.8C. The information come from a high school visit to the Brooklyn DSIR in 1978, and I think was when I first got interested in weather etc. The total of 36.8C was given for Nelson.
There's no CliFlo data for that site - there may be one day if there's stored paper data (I suspect not).

Maxima for 3 stations in Nelson-Tasman on 7-2-1973 were:

36.3C Nelson Aero
36.2C Riwaka
35.7C Appleby

In my view a reading of 38.8C sounds a bit high if the exposure was standard.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 10:41 AM

1,793 posts, read 2,956,889 times
Sometimes, i find my memory is distorted from the actual seasonal statistics. For example, i remember the winter of 1994 being extremely cold and snowy... but in reality, it was one week of extreme cold. Overall seasonal averages were close to normal for both temps and snowfall. Last summer 2011 i remember being very hot. According to stats, we had two severe heatwaves, one in early June and one in mid July, but overall seasonal temps were not far from average because of a cooler August.

An extreme week or two often distorts my seasonal memory of an otherwise average season.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:29 PM

19,067 posts, read 16,893,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
There's no CliFlo data for that site - there may be one day if there's stored paper data (I suspect not).

Maxima for 3 stations in Nelson-Tasman on 7-2-1973 were:

36.3C Nelson Aero
36.2C Riwaka
35.7C Appleby

In my view a reading of 38.8C sounds a bit high if the exposure was standard.
Yikes! I have been telling people the higher figure for years. Could it be an unadjusted figure?

Old 05-13-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yikes! I have been telling people the higher figure for years. Could it be an unadjusted figure?
Maybe - NIWA is archiving daily records (and accompanying notes too I think) from paper but it is a long slow project with limited resources. That site may turn up in due course. It's only recently that the "new" record low of about -25C at Ranfurly (?site from memory) set in 1903, was picked up on.

On rechecking I saw that one NI station reached 39C on 7/2/1973 - Ruatoria with 39.2C.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:51 PM

15,311 posts, read 15,527,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Sometimes, i find my memory is distorted from the actual seasonal statistics. For example, i remember the winter of 1994 being extremely cold and snowy... but in reality, it was one week of extreme cold. Overall seasonal averages were close to normal for both temps and snowfall. Last summer 2011 i remember being very hot. According to stats, we had two severe heatwaves, one in early June and one in mid July, but overall seasonal temps were not far from average because of a cooler August.

An extreme week or two often distorts my seasonal memory of an otherwise average season.
The all time record low of -29 F was recorded here in January 1994. Unfortunately I was too young at the time to remember it. Would have been interesting to experience such a low temperature.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:05 AM

2,400 posts, read 2,998,715 times
Easy-peasy! May 2007 was a absolutely terrible month with just 9mm falling - a very miserable month as I recall it - then a complete turnabout with June measuring over 500mm - an very excellent month!

I remember the February "83" bushfires well - that was such an awful period - too many great people died and the great rains that followed a month later...fast-forwarding to Feb. 2009... need I say more!

I recall traveling around NZ during Dec. 82 and Jan. 83, my parents drove quite well (lol bro and sis!). I do remember us driving down the motorway from north of Wellywind and being wish-whipped by rain and strong wings indeed...

Old 05-15-2012, 01:06 PM

2,400 posts, read 2,998,715 times
In addition, when I lived in Kings Cross, I recall some extremely wet months such as May 2001 which saw 371mm falling making this the wettest May since 1925 (508mm), Feb. 2002 that saw 130mm falling in 24 hours to 9am on the 5th causing much flooding and May 2003 with 348mm falling.
Moved to Bondi in June 2005, the following June (2006) saw 238mm falling and July 233mm, those months were quite showery with frequent hail, thunder, torrential rain showers and squally southerlies .
September 2006: Nearly a week of heavy rain which delivered the city the wettest September day since 1883 with 107mm falling. This was particularly memorable because my best mate was visiting from Melbourne at the time and he could not believe how much rain was falling (Melbourne was in a drought at the time) and remember how jealous he was lol.
Of course how could I forget April 2007 when 386mm fell - that was an extremely wet month, daily falls exceeding 20mm were recorded over seven days.
I also remember making some posts about it on the Weatherzone forum and some Victorians/inland New South Welshmen were "upset" about it and the attacks that followed and I retorting that I were merely reporting weather from my part of the world.
Of course the last 2 years have been mostly much wetter than average making them worth remembering.

Melbourne: I also remember May 1997 when I was living in Melbourne, only 84 hours of sun were recorded. I recall opening the curtains to grey skies just about every morning and that was freaking awesome Just seeing the endless grey skies were nice and the sun didn't reveal itself very much that month

I also recall another occasion (February) when the maximum one day was 41C with sunny skies and a hot northerly blowing only to be followed by overcast skies the next day and a cold southerly delivering a maximum of just 18C - that was remarkable and that day also sticks in my mind as it's when one of my mates died in a car accident at the age of just 25 to a bloody drunk driver

January of 1997 when Melbourne were under the influence of an week-long heatwave with the hottest Jan. night of 28C being recorded, I could not sleep in my bed as it was far too hot, wetted the sheet in the bath only to have it dry out completely within 5 minutes so slept in the lounge with the A/C on - that was a savior indeed!

Old 05-15-2012, 03:57 PM

The very dry and sunny run of weather in Jan-Feb 1973, particularly from mid-Jan to 10th February. The run of nice hot days leading up to 7 February, when national temperature records were broken by about 3C. More welcome dry settled weather afterwards, which lasted into early March.

The very sunny conditions in Central Otago and the Lakes regions in January 1959, a wonderful contrast to the non-summer of a year earlier.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:54 AM

24,257 posts, read 21,721,438 times
I remember a few, because they are quite recent. Like with many others, some "records" have turned out to be complete BS when looking back at actual statistics.

1999: Lowest temp ever recorded in Finland (-51.5°C Kittilä, Lapland)
2002: A very warm September followed by a very cool October. (This isn't quite true. September was somewhat warmer than usual, but nothing record-breaking. October on the other hand was the coldest ever.)
2003: Longest period of consecutive days with over 25°C. (~25?) Also most days in a row with >30°C?
2005: One of the wettest Augusts on record. Most of the precipitation fell during one week. (When the WC in Athletics were held in Helsinki.)
2006: Driest summer ever recorded in Helsinki. (Some 4mm of rain was recorded in July. Sorry, had to check the exact amount, 35mm during June-August)
2008-2009: Almost no snow during the whole winter. Half of it in early March
2010: Highest temp ever recorded in Finland (37.2°C Joensuu)
2010: Highest monthly 24h average temp ever recorded in Finland. (23.0°C in Puumala, July 2010) It's also the highest average recorded in Scand... the Nordic Countries. The previous one was somewhere in Norway.
2011 and 2012: Two consecutive winters with severe snowfall and widespread chaos and disruptions. (Like 3cm will do in London. ) Snowiest winters since the 40s?

Hmm, most have to do with heat or snow. Sounds logical.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:17 AM

7,023 posts, read 10,111,802 times
I remember lots of things very very well.

December 1990 massive blizzard.
August 1995 heatwave.
Various thunderstorms.
A violent gale in December 1999.
July 2006 heatwave.

And others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather