U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 02:14 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,414,438 times

Advertisements

I am curious since often times we all bring up examples of our own historical weather (eg. heatwave or cold snap of this particular year and that particular year) that we've experienced. Sometimes particular extreme weather events (eg. a storm like the ice storm of 1998 in Quebec/Ontario, or perhaps the European heat wave in 2003), or sometimes general memories of which season's weather was unseasonable (eg. warm winters, cooler summers).

Would you say you have a good memory for historical weather?

For me, personally, I would remember historical weather the most if it affected/disrupted my life (even examples from childhood, if i can vaguely recall what grade I was in during a snow day or an unusually cold winter, I might look it up now in hindsight on the internet, to see if my memory was justified).

As well, aside from that, I would say I have general memories of how the past few years' seasons were like, and how they felt personally (though past a few years eg. I might have forgotten even how they felt at the moment -- one example seemed to be in a thread someone mentioned that Toronto had a colder than normal winter in early 2007, and I was indeed also in Toronto in 2007 too but somehow seemed to have forgotten about it). Indeed, I often recall people in daily life compare one year with the year before (eg. "this winter we're going to get it, because we were spoiled with mildness last winter", or "I hope this summer won't be as bad as the last") or even a few or couple of years before (especially if there is a trend -- someone might say something like "Well, this certainly has been a change from the trend in the last few years").

I'm sure though, being the weather fanatics we are here, most of us will have a pretty good memory of our climates' historical weather!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 02:26 PM

5,127 posts, read 7,591,937 times
Very easily, and not just for my town.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:38 PM

5,599 posts, read 9,362,600 times
I falsely said on here last week that a string of forecast highs of 6 or 7C in Yorkshire would have been the first time in my memory it had been so cold so late, but generally I remember historical weather events without having to commit them to memory - same with dates in general, regardless of the event. I often have to hold my tongue to stop myself from correcting non-weather aficionados when I hear things like "I've never seen it so warm/cold at this time of year" or "A warm autumn must mean a mild winter to come, right?", or my favourite "When I was little we used to have four proper seasons, what's happened to our climate?!"

Old 05-11-2012, 02:44 PM

22,256 posts, read 26,595,711 times
Wow, Ben, my grandmother says the latter all the time! The very old generation seem to think when they were younger 1946/1947 were the norm.. as a young child I used to think the UK had some cold subarctic climate.. how wrong I was..

Anyway, I remember weather events that differ from the norm. I remember July 2006 for the heat for example.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:14 PM

8,196 posts, read 7,713,634 times
I "became" a weather nut in 2009, so I know perfectly how it has been since then, but before that I don't have that many weather memories. Apart from exceptional events like the December 1999 storms or the August 2003 heatwave, that is.
Sometimes my memories are very misleading. I remember of a unusually chilly period during that month, but can't locate it looking at the stats. On the contrary I don't remember anything about the following winter, even though it was quite cooler.
Sometimes specifical events help remembering the weather. For example I know that there has been some very warm weather in late June 2005 cause I attended an air show in the sun. Then again, I have little memory of the weather in July 2006, even if it was the warmest month ever here.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:34 PM

641 posts, read 919,529 times
Because I don't like extreme heat, I tend to remember hot summers.
Summer 2002 was really hot, mainly from late June to mid July,
seemed like every day was in 35c range and very humid.
I took a "road trip" vacation that summer and it was hot everywhere!
Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Medicine Hat, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota,
hottest was in Iowa, 40c (104F) at Cedar Rapids
It was so hot I cut short my vacation, heading home 4 days early

Old 05-11-2012, 03:55 PM

2,702 posts, read 5,596,521 times
If we're talking about specific weather events that happened before I became a weather geek (late 2006), I can only recall a few remarkable moments in Nice (which is quite a "boring" city weatherwise - not that I have anything against that, I love stable climates but what I mean is that Nice is usually mild and sees few extreme weather episodes), which are :

- The hot summer of 2003, which didn't bother me that much but what struck me is how people talked about it as if it was the end of the world - August 2003 in Nice, the warmest month of our history, was barely a typical February in Singapore after all (without the rain)
- July 2006 : I recall a few really hot days
- Some serious snowfall (in 2004 if my memory is correct) - which is pretty rare to us, but on a few days that winter, everything was white and covered in snow, which is even more rare

Now if we're talking about general past impressions of climate, in my memory Nice had colder summers and hotter summers than now - which is totally wrong, but I guess it's just that my perception evolved, notably by travelling and living in other places.
When I was a kid, 10°C seemed really cold to me, and 30°C hot - but after living in places where the weather could routinely dip to -7°C or surge to 35°C, Nice became much milder in my eyes.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:56 PM

7,023 posts, read 10,087,661 times
I remember warm summers from my childhood for two reasons: one I only remembered the things we did/times we had in better weather but two because I lived in SE England which does have warm summers by English standards.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 PM

8,196 posts, read 7,713,634 times
Oh, one thing I remember well was how the 90s had thunderstorms almost everyday in the Pyrenees mountains, whereas now there may be one or two per week at max. Dunno if it's that accurate though, I was a bit afraid of storms as a kid and maybe feared them a tad too much.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:03 AM

1,503 posts, read 2,402,751 times
I remember growing up in Sydney well, particularly noteworthy days - eg Highest March temperature of 39.8C in 1983 and highest April temp in 1986 (34.3C).
The summers of the early 80's were hotter due to the drought and El Nino, and they were noticeably cooler in the late 80's with much more rain -ie probably La Nina conditions.
Since I have been gone from there for 2 decades, I still notice the temps but they are not the same as here.
The most notable event in recent years were the drought in the early 2000's, and the February 2004 heatwave in NSW - where most temperature records in NSW were broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather