Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 06:20 PM

638 posts, read 1,024,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
I'd choose Leadville, CO Leadville, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
record high not above 85, not much rain in summer, good snowfall, in the lower 48 so close to many states and cities, somewhat normal sunsets and sunrises throughout the year. I did see pictures of Valdez,Alaska and do think it's more scenic, but I'd still choose Leadville, CO for all three answers.
I`ve been to Leadville,CO

Colorado`s Two Mile High City at over 10,000 ft (3100m) above sea level
I personally wouldn`t want to live there because of the high altitude.
I felt like I was gasping for breath, probably psychosomatic but
just not good for me, too high I bet it`s record high ain`t too high

I envy people who can zero in on the exact climate they like.
Unfortunately I`m not one them....I think I know what I
don`t like.....

Going thru the various states, alot are write offs for me (no offense
to people living in them, I`m sure their nice)
Texas for example is almost a write off...maybe up in the Davis Mtns, is ok
Most of the southern states are not my cup of tea,
ditto the plains states too
I like New England.
I like the west, Rockies to the west coast.
Florida is hot, maybe too hot, Naples,FL is nice, not sure about living there all year long

Vermont and New Hampshire sound good to me.
Certain elevations in southwest too.
Silver City, New Mexico, maybe
West coast is nice...Santa Barbara, I don`t know maybe the climate there is
too good, too boring

All I know is I don`t like months of real hot humid weather
like US south has.

Last edited by nei; 05-12-2012 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 07:58 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,649,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I see that I was beaten to Asheville N.C. It looks like a great climate. The winters are a bit colder than here, so I would be more limited in what I could grow. It's a good trade off though.
Asheville, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

California has lots of ideal climates from a temperature perspective, but the dry summers aren't for me.
Talk about severely more limited - No nikau palms, pohutukawa or even cordylines in Asheville It averages 96.5 frosts a year with 5.8 days a year where the temperature fails to get above freezing plus a record low of -27°C. That's colder than what we get in Vancouver.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:00 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Talk about severely more limited - No nikau palms, pohutukawa or even cordylines in Asheville It averages 96.5 frosts a year with 5.8 days a year where the temperature fails to get above freezing plus a record low of -27°C. That's colder than what we get in Vancouver.
I guess that highlights a big difference in the respective climates- standard deviation. The average stats for here would give an indication of what temps you could expect, not so for a climate like Asheville. I don't think many subtropical fruits, or palms would grow there.

It still looks like one of the better climates in the US, but I'm not so sure now. I wouldn't like the west coast dry season. I don't mind dry climates and conditions, its just that I like the big growth bursts from good summer rain more.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:11 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,649,481 times
Quote:
I guess that highlights a big difference in the respective climates- standard deviation. The average stats for here would give an indication of what temps you could expect, not so for a climate like Asheville. I don't think many subtropical fruits, or palms would grow there.

It still looks like one of the better climates in the US, but I'm not so sure now. I wouldn't like the west coast dry season. I don't mind dry climates and conditions, its just that I like the big growth bursts from good summer rain more.
Well if you like rainy summers that aren't too hot with good seasonal variation.. then perhaps Cape Hatteras, NC is more for you. Its record low is -14°C with only an average of 26 frost days and 1 day a year where the average temperature fails to go above freezing. You'd certainly be able to grow more subtropical plants there than in Asheville.

Cape Hatteras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-13-2012, 12:47 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Portland, Oregon for me, though if I did some research I'd probably find some coastal parts of New England that would be A-worthy. The only drawback for Portland would be the potential for snowless winters, but I'd suppose there are at least some higher suburbs which always get at least some snow? Either way, you Americans really are privileged to have such a range of climates to choose from within the same country.
Yes, but don't you guys have many UK Territories with a lot of climatic diversity? I'm thinking a range such as Falkland Islands to Bermuda, etc. The US is not the only country with outlying territories.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:09 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,621,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes, but don't you guys have many UK Territories with a lot of climatic diversity? I'm thinking a range such as Falkland Islands to Bermuda, etc. The US is not the only country with outlying territories.
True, but as far as I'm aware even we would still need visas to actually move to these places, plus they are such small places there wouldn't be enough opportunities for it to be viable for most people. Ditto with moving elsewhere within Europe, it's in theory just as easy for me to move to one of my ideal climates in Slovenia as for you to move to somewhere like Texas but in practice it's a completely foreign country with an unfamiliar language and different way of doing everything, so unless you're single and/or don't need to work most people wouldn't consider it a realistic long-term option - heat-lovers are much more likely to talk about moving to somewhere like Australia, cold-lovers to Canada etc.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:01 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,510,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
You want to live at Heidenview, otherwise known as Nineteen Mile. It's a small neighborhood of hippie-types and ski bums about a thousand feet up the Pass. It's the closest you can live to the Pass on the snowy side. Much higher than that and you're above treeline, which would be inhospitable to say the least.
That sounds awesome. So that 1000 feet makes a big difference from sea level, huh? How high is the Pass anyhow?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:04 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,980,431 times
Quote:
I guess that highlights a big difference in the respective climates- standard deviation. The average stats for here would give an indication of what temps you could expect, not so for a climate like Asheville.
Average stats give a good idea of what to expect; you just have to mentally figure in that the typical weather is average plus or minus 10 degrees (20 degrees for your typical heat waves and cold snaps, excluding summer which is more stable). Summer temperatures are even more stable in the highlands of the Southeast than in the lowlands (look at the low record highs for a lot of these places). It may sound difficult but it's second nature to most North Americans.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:57 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,270,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
That sounds awesome. So that 1000 feet makes a big difference from sea level, huh? How high is the Pass anyhow?
The sign says 2678'. I've seen 2805' from other sources, but the topo seems to agree with the sign. There are a lot of microclimates here, and getting away from the bay is past of the issue as well, but out there you're past the canyon, so the maritime influence is markedly reduced. Depending on what the weather's doing up country, it could be anywhere from 10-40 degrees colder there than in town. It's still going to be a maritime snowpack overall, though. You'll never confuse Thompson Pass for Utah, but that doesn't make it worse, by any means. It certainly builds a base up faster than super dry snow.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:31 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Well if you like rainy summers that aren't too hot with good seasonal variation.. then perhaps Cape Hatteras, NC is more for you. Its record low is -14°C with only an average of 26 frost days and 1 day a year where the average temperature fails to go above freezing. You'd certainly be able to grow more subtropical plants there than in Asheville.

Cape Hatteras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cape Hatteras does look very good. A little warmer than I would prefer in summer, but I could adjust. Could probably grow a comparable range of plants to here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather