Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:09 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times

Advertisements

I think I've always longed to live in the tropics. Before I moved to the South of China for a year, people were telling me, you're going to hate the heat when summer arrives. You will just want to lock yourself in a freezer and just stay there.. well it never happened. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of the hot humid air and the feeling of sweat on my body... I just hope that one day I'll be able to experience that sensation again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:15 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think I've always longed to live in the tropics. Before I moved to the South of China for a year, people were telling me, you're going to hate the heat when summer arrives. You will just want to lock yourself in a freezer and just stay there.. well it never happened. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of the hot humid air and the feeling of sweat on my body... I just hope that one day I'll be able to experience that sensation again
With being in the same climate type as you, I can see why you'd long for the tropics it's been 50s here for months now, I'm used to it being mid to high 70s now this time of year in Pennsylvania, with the occasional low 80s day. Yet, before I got here in England, I wanted a climate like this

Old 05-15-2012, 08:04 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,795,521 times
I'm really rather easy-going about sun. I realize I was quite happy with Cairo's level of sunshine and yet also quite happy with Vancouver's ( much lower ) level of sunshine. So I can go more than 500-700 hours each way from my ideal of around 2500 hours.

While I pretty much know my favorite type of summer ( hot, wet, steamy, humid, lush ), how cool and how long and how dry I want my winter changes a lot. I like Cwa climates of the more moderate kind ( neither Kansas nor Delhi, thank you, give me Pu'er ), but I think I'm wanting perhaps a touch more rain in the dry season as I like fairly green year-round landscapes.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
I've ping-ponged between liking a couple of months of winter (nothing severe, but cold enough for snow) and not really caring about winter. Also, sometimes I like dry summers but lately I prefer wet ones.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
I'm really rather easy-going about sun. I realize I was quite happy with Cairo's level of sunshine and yet also quite happy with Vancouver's ( much lower ) level of sunshine. So I can go more than 500-700 hours each way from my ideal of around 2500 hours.

While I pretty much know my favorite type of summer ( hot, wet, steamy, humid, lush ), how cool and how long and how dry I want my winter changes a lot. I like Cwa climates of the more moderate kind ( neither Kansas nor Delhi, thank you, give me Pu'er ), but I think I'm wanting perhaps a touch more rain in the dry season as I like fairly green year-round landscapes.
What do you think about humid subtropical BA? i think you would love it, giving your preferences. It doesnt have a real dry season (well, it rains the least in the winter, but it actually rains all year long cause rain is actually pretty evenly distributed through the year, so it doesnt have a real "dry" season) and its green all year. Maybe you will think winters are too cold? Thankfully, we do have a cold season, but it is so short you wont even notice it. Now, in late autumn, we are above 20c, 95% of the time.

Anyways, about the sun, i do really like sunny climates to some extent, BUT (i have a huge BUT) i dont like super sunny climates (like more than 3000 hours) cause they always are super sunny in the summer, and i dont like climates that have a good amount of sunshine hours (lets say 2500) but all are concentrated in the hot months. I dont enjoy sun in the summer. I LOVE sunny climates in winter and autumn. Actually, the colder is the climate, the sunniest i need it to be. But a hot super sunny climate can be awful, i rather it be cloudy!!! This last spring-summer, we ve had a SUPER SUNNY spell that lasted between october till february. In those 4 months it rained LESS than in february alone! And they were SO super sunny. I was so tired! And January was the worst, cause ALL DAYS temp was 34c and SUNNY. I feel like we were in FREAKING PHOENIX!
So clearly i cant call myself a sun lover. Im a sun lover as long as it doesnt happen in summer or spring. As long as it doesnt happen in hot weather.
Thats why i LOVE BA winters and autumns. Its sunny. I dont like some types of climates in where summers are super sunny (AUCH) and winters are super cloudy and gloomy (auch!!). Thats the worst and it happens a lot. One of the best things about BA (or the best) is the sunshine and rain distribution. Just perfect.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:05 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post

where's that?

Old 05-15-2012, 07:14 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
where's that?
Pu'er City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-20-2015, 10:33 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
I always do.

At times I do find the -40C winters of Siberia intriguing, even though I'm a massive cold hater.

Sometimes I find myself loathing wet winters and at others I found myself preferring wet winters. Now I don't though.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:52 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
I ping pong between my summer preferences. I find myself preferring a hot, humid summer with plenty of thunderstorms sometimes and other times a cool and comfortable summer with highs 60-70 F and lows about 35-45 F. I always want cold, snowy winters however.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:57 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,954,632 times
After long, sunny, warm/hot summers I look forward to cool, cloudy and rainy winters. However if summer is mild and mostly cloudy then I prefer sunny winters with morning frosts, and all the rain to fall heavily in 5-6 days per month rather than moderate rain on 15-18 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather