Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:19 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,515,643 times

Advertisements

This thread : Anybody ever ping pong between climate preferences?

and an off-topic part of my answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh
I very much enjoy seeing and walking through a sunny, snowy forest but that would be very occasional, and a form of "climatic tourism" - I would hate living in a climate that gets freezing in winter
made me curious about something :

Even for those of you who have firm weather preferences, and I count myself in, do you want your "ideal, preferred conditions" 100% of the time, or would you like to occasionally experience conditions that are conflicting with them ?

As for myself, a firm heat lover, as I said, I love an occasional stroll through a white, powdery snow-covered landscape, if the temperature is not too cold (above -5°C ideally).
I also occasionally enjoy very humid, post-rain 18°C conditions, which I find refreshing.

The aforementioned being said, 99% of the time, and 100% in my ideal climate, I'd like the temperature to be between 17°C (a "cold winter night") and 34°C (a "hot summer day").

What about you ? Any heat haters who enjoy a blazing hot day once a year ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 12:26 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,465,573 times
I like the occasional hot day to keep things interesting. Walking along a tropical beach with turquoise water and large palms also seems appealing to me - as with you though this would be for holidays only.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:50 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,965,117 times
I guess you could say that I tolerate occasional exceptions. I like the occasional brutal cold snap in winter (even though I don't like -50F to be average or common), and I also like the occasional hot day in summer (80F or more rarely 85F), or the rare warm night (60F). It spices up the climate a bit, and goes hand in hand with a continental-type climate, which I prefer.

However, I would prefer never to go above 90F in the daytime or above 70F for a morning low; 85F is fine for the occasional/rare hot day, but I'd like it to be accompanied by unending sleepable sub-55F nights .

So, I do like the occasional exception, but within certain limits. Since I prefer variability over monotony (especially in summer), unlike the OP, I guess you could say that even the occasional "exception" neatly fits in.

As for climatic tourism, I would never take a vacation to a scorching-hot tropical beach or any other tropical climate for that matter. I would like to visit certain places, like Death Valley, that hold interest to me and have a comfortable period sometime in the year - in Death Valley's case, its winter is comfortable and has temperatures I'd like to see in summertime . Generally speaking this only includes the subtropics at the warmest, but there are exceptions, such as Easter Island. I'd like to visit that place in winter sometime.

I would also love to visit places that are on the cold side, such as the Arctic and Antarctic, that I wouldn't want to live in on a permanent basis. Extremely cold subarctic sites also qualify, such as Yakutsk; the Yakutia region is interesting to me. Also, though I wouldn't want to live in an ice fog hollow, I would like to visit a place that had unending heavy ice fog, such as Yakutsk.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:57 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,678,533 times
Offhand, I really can't think of any situation where I'd voluntarily expose myself to hot and humid weather, unless there was some enormous benefit for me in doing so. I mean, I'd gladly spend a summer in, say, New Orleans if I were being paid a couple hundred thousand dollars (or more) for my misery, but otherwise, no way.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:49 AM

5,886 posts, read 10,482,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
This thread : Anybody ever ping pong between climate preferences?

and an off-topic part of my answer

made me curious about something :

Even for those of you who have firm weather preferences, and I count myself in, do you want your "ideal, preferred conditions" 100% of the time, or would you like to occasionally experience conditions that are conflicting with them ?

As for myself, a firm heat lover, as I said, I love an occasional stroll through a white, powdery snow-covered landscape, if the temperature is not too cold (above -5°C ideally).
I also occasionally enjoy very humid, post-rain 18°C conditions, which I find refreshing.

The aforementioned being said, 99% of the time, and 100% in my ideal climate, I'd like the temperature to be between 17°C (a "cold winter night") and 34°C (a "hot summer day").

What about you ? Any heat haters who enjoy a blazing hot day once a year ?

Im a heat hater and i NEVER ever could see myself enjoying temperatures above 30c. Hey, even when i have an outdoor pool in my building and i swim A LOT in the summertime, even when i swimmed a lot this past summer in summer nights (those 28 c summer nights, perfect for swimming), and even when i admit the feeling of swimming at night while looking at the stars is relaxing and beautiful, and even when i admit that swimming in the daytime can be the most refreshing thing in the world cause getting in the cold water in a super hot day can be an awesome feeling....., even with all that, i DO NOT enjoy a blazing hot day EVER. Why?? Cause days have 24 hours, and even if i spent, lets say, 5 hours a day in the cold swimming pool, the day still haves 19 hours left, in wich im MISERABLE.

So, yeah, i might enjoy swimming, or even LOVE swimming.
I might love to have a cold drink at night with my legs in the cold pool water while i talk with my boyfriend looking at the stars...
I might LOVE the feeling of the cold water hitting me in a blazing hot day.
I might adore swimming and even look forward for it at some points in the not-hot months.

BUT I WONT ENJOY AN ENTIRE HOT DAY EVER. Swimming is awesome. Those feelings are awesome. BUT THE OTHER PARTS OF THE HOT DAYS ARE SO UTTERLY UNBEARABLE AND SAD AND AWFUL FOR ME THAT I DONT MAKE EXCEPTIONS.

I HATE THE HEAT 1000000000000%

Old 05-15-2012, 01:46 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,603,644 times
Hard to say... I might like cool sunny days once in a while under 10°C but I would never enjoy them on a regular basis. I need at least 20°C+ every day to be 100% truly happy.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:00 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,252,252 times
Being a sunshine lover, I can tolerate the odd cloudy day. I just have an issue with extended cloudy spells (i.e. more than 4-5 consecutive days with < 3 hours sun).

Back to the point of the post, I don't mind the odd rainy day now and again. In fact I actually enjoy the odd rainy evening, especially in the warmer months (providing I no longer need to be outside).

Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,965,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Being a sunshine lover, I can tolerate the odd cloudy day. I just have an issue with extended cloudy spells (i.e. more than 4-5 consecutive days with < 3 hours sun).
Interesting. I seem to be nearly the exact opposite (with extended sunny spells).

Old 05-15-2012, 07:33 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,501,494 times
Same here, I get really irritated and / or depressed when we have those super-long sunny spells. There's something unnerving about each day being totally clear, one after the other, for days and weeks on end. That's the worst kind of summer weather for me, as you're adding in mind-numbing monotony along with the never-ending heat. That's why I had an easier time dealing with Florida summers than I do here, as down there, we got frequent thunderstorms all summer long, whereas here, we can go weeks and weeks without even a shower, let alone a full-blown thunderstorm.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:14 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,171,254 times
I generally like it warm and sunny most of the year, but i do like an occasional snowstorm, especially around the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather