Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

OK, so I was wondering if people where you live actually go out and take advantage of so-called "good weather"?

If you live in a climate with lots of warm sunny days, are people often out cavorting in the sun and heat? Or do they mostly stay inside because it is too hot?

And thinking outside the box, if you live in a cold, snowy climate, do most people go out and take advantage of a fresh snowfall or do they stay indoors because it is too cold?

Also, what times of year do people tend to go out more? Are there more indoor periods and outdoor periods depending on the time of year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:06 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,408,010 times
There are far more people enjoying being outside here when it's sunny and mild/warm. It's never hot here ever, a typical max yearly temp is 75°F. So we get only "pleasant" weather at best, and that's when people come out more.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,357 times
Usually all year round. People are mostly out in the summer though, walking/running. Winter walking trails through the cedar and evergreens are nice and get people out. Lots here actually like winter because that is why they are still in this city, many have moved elsewhere.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Where do you guys live?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:45 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,069 times
Buenos Aires.

People get out and enjoy the weather A LOT. There are a lot of warm sunny days where i live, actually, most days are warm and sunny.

I would say people get out to enjoy more in the spring, autumn and winter. Maybe in that order. In January (summer) everyone gets out (go on vacation) from this hell and of course people stay more in their air conditioned houses instead of going out to the unbearable heat, but rest of the year....people is out enjoying ALL THE TIME, everywhere!

Actually, there are too many people here!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:18 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,593 times
I would say the falls and springs are the most popular times for people to be outdoors here - the main festival season is in spring, with a smaller one in the fall. Summer, forget it. But you do see lots of people at the pools, etc during the summer months, and people do their jogging, playing tennis, etc all summer as well, just more in the early mornings or late evenings. As for wintertime, people enjoy golf and tennis just as much as any other time of the year, you still see a lot of joggers at the parks, etc, but not many organized sports are played during this time. About the only time when virtually everyone stays indoors is during "blue northers" and during cold, all-day rains, but that's usually just a few days here and there during the winter months.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
In winter, I see people out and about after fresh snowfall, especially families.

In fact people are usually out when it's sunny regardless of the temperature.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:49 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
In winter, I see people out and about after fresh snowfall, especially families.

In fact people are usually out when it's sunny regardless of the temperature.
This is one strange country, I have to say. As soon as the temperature hits about 60°F and it's sunny, off come the shirts off men's backs, and you can smell barbecues and Tesco's shelves are littered with barbecue stuff (like back in March). You can't have that sort of predictability back where I live, I guess because our weather is so variable during a lot of the months (more so with sky conditions) unlike here. I guess it also doesn't help when you have the BBC weather people spouting propaganda that say you must be miserable when there's no sun and cold (love it when the idiot said yesterday was the "best day" of the week and it's going to "get worse")

Old 05-17-2012, 12:51 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Yeah, it doesn't take much for the shirts to come off, that's for sure.

I recall back in March when the temperatures only hit around 60f, and it was sunny, the local park was packed with people and there was a ton of cars glimmering in the distance in the car park. The trees were all bare still. It was an odd sight..

Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah, it doesn't take much for the shirts to come off, that's for sure.

I recall back in March when the temperatures only hit around 60f, and it was sunny, the local park was packed with people and there was a ton of cars glimmering in the distance in the car park.
People here act like they HAVE to get some sun on their skin for one day, because it's going to disappear until next year or something the BBC and the travel industry does no favors either, they love making people here feel miserable just because itś under 50 outside and you have to buy a plane ticket and book (if I see one more Thomas Cooking something......) a hotel in Benidorm to feel happy tell that to my mom. She was born to be a Brit, that's for sure. Her happiest days are when it's overcast and in the 50s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather