Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Ehh we might have to make an exception for Eureka. This place makes even Scotland look warm in the summer.
Sure, but palm trees do much better than in Scotland!

Eureka has the same hardiness zone as Orlando...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 08:44 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
We discussed this in a different thread. I remember the suggestion to use "8 months with 24h monthly avg > 50F" line was a good one.
That's too broad isn't it?

Off topic since it isn't the US, but what about the Scilly Isles? They have 8 months with the overall mean temperature above 50F and are in Hardiness zone 10

Old 05-19-2012, 09:38 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
That's too broad isn't it?

Off topic since it isn't the US, but what about the Scilly Isles? They have 8 months with the overall mean temperature above 50F and are in Hardiness zone 10
I would regard them as subtropical.

To my way of thinking, the lower limits of subtropical are about how warm a place stays, not how hot it gets. That is what Trewartha's 8 month rule is getting at.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:33 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times
As to Eureka, it's temperature profile is temperate, not subtropical. The summers are far too cool. This is where Koeppen gets it right and Trewartha gets it wrong.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:13 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,955,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think Eureka, CA is due west of the Southern boundary of the Cascades which starts at Lassen Peak.. would you consider Eureka subtropical?
No I don't think it is (I'd call it mild temperate). I'm basing this on Mediterranean climates being considered sub-tropical and marine west-coast climates being considered temperate. By that definition, the subtropical boundary in CA is actually farther north in the central valley then it is on the coast.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:39 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
No I don't think it is (I'd call it mild temperate). I'm basing this on Mediterranean climates being considered sub-tropical and marine west-coast climates being considered temperate. By that definition, the subtropical boundary in CA is actually farther north in the central valley then it is on the coast.
Where would you put the boundary in the central valley and on the coast for subtropical?

Old 05-20-2012, 04:04 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,955,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Where would you put the boundary in the central valley and on the coast for subtropical?
I looked at a map of California and Eureka is a little north of Redding (at the top of the Sacramento Valley). I'd put the boundary at Cape Mendocino (just south of Eureka) on the coast and just north of Redding in the central valley. Those are about at the same latitude (as it turns out), at around 40.5 degrees north. I'm basing this entirely on the commonly accepted boundaries of the Mediterannen climate type in California. But that would imply that Eureka is so close to subtropical that it must have some transitional characteristics. One example I can see from looking at it's climate graph is that record highs from Nov. to Feb. are in the upper 70s to 80.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 PM

76 posts, read 216,699 times
Quote:
"I looked at a map of California and Eureka is a little north of Redding (at the top of the Sacramento Valley)"
I believe you're confusing "Eureka" with "Yreka" - two different California towns. It is YREKA that is "a little north of Redding". EUREKA is situated on the Redwood Coast and is not located in the Sacramento Valley.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,104,765 times
to be honest I think all of you or confusing Sub Tropical with warm temperate. the 2 r not the same thing at all. according to hold ridge life zones system sub-tropical becomes warm temperate at a bio temperature of 18c which cuts off the subtropical zone at just south of Atlanta Georgia

Old 03-29-2013, 08:31 AM

331 posts, read 592,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
to be honest I think all of you or confusing Sub Tropical with warm temperate. the 2 r not the same thing at all. according to hold ridge life zones system sub-tropical becomes warm temperate at a bio temperature of 18c which cuts off the subtropical zone at just south of Atlanta Georgia
Minimum gardening/plant zone 8a
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather