Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:49 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,023 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit interested and curious about the article but it doesn't give much more information or links to the study they talk about.

Firstly, which ice age are they talking about when they mean 13, 000 years ago? Colloquially or popularly, the time that many tend to call the Ice Age tends to be the last glacial period was from about 100 000 - 10 000 years ago or something, right? And I've always heard that the maximum extent of the ice was about 20 000 years ago or something.

They say:
"Previous studies have suggested the arrival of the last Ice Age nearly 13,000 years ago took about a decade - but now scientists believe the process was up to 20 times as fast."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,023 times
^^

Based on reading the article again, I guess they might have been talking about the Younger Dryas event?

NOAA Paleoclimatology Program - Perspective on Abrupt climate Change

Younger Dryas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember reading about the Younger Dryas before, and the timeline (13, 000 years ago) and mention of it lasting 1,300 years seems to be matching the description of the mini "Ice Age" they're describing in the article -- a sudden drop and return to glacial conditions in the middle of the warming trend coming out of the end of the last glacial period (which itself mostly tends to get refers to as "the Ice Age" in media).

Can anyone who knows about this topic tell me if I'm thinking of the right thing?

Old 05-24-2012, 04:24 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times
The last glacial period occurred from about 100 000 to 15 000 years ago. Around that time the current interglacial began, with a rapid warming. However, some time after that there was a cold period called the Younger Dryas, which sent the climate back to glacial conditions for about 1000 years. That's what they're talking about, so you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Again, it all depends if the ice age comes in six months or six decades (or much longer, even). As long as nations have time to adapt, we'll be okay in the long run. If the "Day After Tomorrow" happens, then I would tend to agree.
It also depends on how well-prepared the world is and if there is any advanced warning. If they know about a sudden onset months or years before the change happens, that will be enough time to make preparations. Of course if "The Day After Tomorrow" happens, which was a transition to glacial climate in 7-10 days, there won't be time to do anything. Even 10 years would be enough time to adapt. If governments and people bungle it up so adapting takes longer than that, then it's the fault of their own stupidity.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:46 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
That looks like a ton of snow on Mt. St. Helens. Summit is only 8300 feet. Looks like the snow is down to ..6000'??

Remember... thats how it all starts... if and when the snow doesnt melt from previous season, snow continues to pile on and harder to melt "most" of it so the cold air expands as well.

So I think the key is to continue to find out the progress of the melting during summer... if there was less melting then previous year....OR if more snow is left then previous year then its expanding... Snow breeds cold..the more snow on ground, the colder the air stays. Add a sleepy sun and its a reciepe for Ice Age.

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

Old 05-25-2012, 08:37 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That looks like a ton of snow on Mt. St. Helens. Summit is only 8300 feet. Looks like the snow is down to ..6000'??

Remember... thats how it all starts... if and when the snow doesnt melt from previous season, snow continues to pile on and harder to melt "most" of it so the cold air expands as well.

So I think the key is to continue to find out the progress of the melting during summer... if there was less melting then previous year....OR if more snow is left then previous year then its expanding... Snow breeds cold..the more snow on ground, the colder the air stays. Add a sleepy sun and its a reciepe for Ice Age.

Mount St. Helens VolcanoCams - Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument
But how long would this process take, before the non-melting snows actually made a dent in our climate? 10 years? 50 years? A 1000?

My big hope for a sudden cool-down is a major volcanic eruption that sends enough particulates into the upper atmosphere to lower the global temp by a few degrees. Another "hope" (more like grasping at straws...lol) is that the Solar System moves through a cloud of interstellar dust, which would reduce the solar energy reaching the Earth, which in turn would lower the global average temperature. But chances are that I'll be worm food long before any of this happens.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:56 PM

It seems that these very cycles are telling us that the new Ice Age is coming.

“We are entering a Bond event right now, the 8th event since the Holocene climate optimum, all interglacial periods terminate on either the 7th or 8th event relative to the 5th eccentricity cycle. This is where we are heading right now…”

All of the cycles are coming together.
22yr Hale
179yr barycentric
1450yr Bond
23,000yr precession
25,800yr plane
100,000yr ice age (when all solar-planetary cycles converge as they are now)…”

http://www.westernusawx.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=33725&st=80&p=592986&#entry592 986

Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times
I saw that this morning. I don't put much stock in such predictions, but a potential Bond event is something to keep an eye on.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:43 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
It seems that these very cycles are telling us that the new Ice Age is coming.

“We are entering a Bond event right now, the 8th event since the Holocene climate optimum, all interglacial periods terminate on either the 7th or 8th event relative to the 5th eccentricity cycle. This is where we are heading right now…”

All of the cycles are coming together.
22yr Hale
179yr barycentric
1450yr Bond
23,000yr precession
25,800yr plane
100,000yr ice age (when all solar-planetary cycles converge as they are now)…”

http://www.westernusawx.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=33725&st=80&p=592986&#entry592 986
If this is indeed the case, when is the earliest we'll start seeing a real change to cooler? Don't wanna get my hopes up for something that'll be due to start in the year 2200...

Old 05-26-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
If this is indeed the case, when is the earliest we'll start seeing a real change to cooler? Don't wanna get my hopes up for something that'll be due to start in the year 2200...
LOL.. I hear ya.. I havent calculated anything and I've heard many speculations out there.

"technically" we have been cooling since 1998 but we just dont feel it cause it got so damn hot.. What I'm worried about is our childrens children. and forward..

Old 11-13-2012, 06:24 AM

With the sun about to go to sleep, I'm getting worried about a spiral down sooner than people think. Maybe ... just maybe they are talking about the warming more just so there's no panic with the public? Thats possible.. If they continued to talk about Ice Age implecations, too much fear would go into everyones minds... Not sure.

Russian Scientist says Mini Ice Age is near and Forecasting a temperature drop in approximately 2014.
http://nextgrandminimum.wordpress.com/2012/11/10/russians-scientist-the-next-grand-minimum/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather