Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:54 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times

Advertisements

Just writing about sunshine patterns in the Gibraltar thread, i started thinking, if a place with sunnier winters than summers existed in reality? Like the fictional climate i made a while ago, sophieland: //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...te-lovers.html, wich had winters sunnier than summers. I really like that pattern, but i found its difficult to find a place in the world with sunnier winters. Specially cause summers have more daylight hours (sometimes a lot more) than winter, so it seems really hard to find a place that, despite that, will score more sunshine in the winter.
Im not looking for a super sunny more than 3000 hours a year place when every month is sunny and winter only slightly sunnier than summer, im looking for a place when winter is significantly sunnier than summer, and also im looking for a place that haves a winter! Not one of those tropical places in where seasons are not distinguishable.

Does such a place exist in the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
India has sunnier winters than summers, because of the very strong monsoon season that they have.

Feast your eyes on this: Mumbai, India

Cwb climates also have this pattern as well, but not as extreme as India. Mexico City is an example of a less extreme version

Mexico City

Old 05-23-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
India has sunnier winters than summers, because of the very strong monsoon season that they have.
But i dont think Puerto Rico haves distinguishable seasons, right? I mean, "winters" in Puerto Rico cant be considered winter by any means. What about India, what places in India?

To clarify, im looking for a place that has winter as cold as BA or colder, NOT warmer.

Just seen Mumbai climate. Those hellish temps cant be considered winter by any means, lol.

The warmest this winter im looking for can be are around 14c of average high. And everything colder than that.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
But i dont think Puerto Rico haves distinguishable seasons, right? I mean, "winters" in Puerto Rico cant be considered winter by any means. What about India, what places in India?

To clarify, im looking for a place that has winter as cold as BA or colder, NOT warmer.

Just seen Mumbai climate. Those hellish temps cant be considered winter by any means, lol.

The warmest this winter im looking for can be are around 14c of average high. And everything colder than that.
Oh, I missed the last few sentences of your post. Hmm, well you are looking at Cwb climates then, I think. If that's the case, I think you are limited to very few areas of the world, there are some isolated pockets in the western Great Plains of the US that have that climate you are looking for. Outside of that, I have no clue

India is the same as Puerto Rico. There is no such thing as winter in India, just like in PR, except in the Kashmir region

Old 05-23-2012, 02:15 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Some of the highland climates in southern China with horrendously dull summers maybe? I'm sure I've seen some places with winter (and I mean a proper winter worthy of the name) with higher totals than summer. Are we looking for raw totals higher or just percentages?

Old 05-23-2012, 02:16 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
If you're looking for absolute hours of sunshine highest in winter plus your other restrictions, that's a tall order. Easy if you just want a higher percentage of possible sun in winter.

Sydney has about 66% sun for Jun-Aug, but only about 54% for Dec-Feb.

Pretoria (and probably other high veldt locations) actually gets slightly more sun in winter than in summer:

clima

You would probably consider its summers to be too warm, though they would be less humid than in BA.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:18 PM

Yeah, maybe looking for percentages will be better.

How do u guys calculate that? where is the info?

Just seen Pretoria and you are right, it fits the criteria of being sunnier in winter. However, highs are a bit high (in the winter i mean). The lows are good, though. Pretoria must have a great winter, anyway, i wouldnt mind spending a winter in that climate. Summer doesnt look nearly as bad as in BA, specially the lows! and the humidity! Someone should open a thread about ranking Pretoria climate. If it wasnt so sunny and if it were colder in winter and summer highs, it would nearly be a perfect climate for Sophie.

However, im looking for something more wintery (aka colder), is there?

Old 05-23-2012, 02:26 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Kunming, China is a possibility although winter highs are slightly higher than BA with much cooler summers.

Kunming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-23-2012, 02:26 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Yeah, maybe looking for percentages will be better.

How do u guys calculate that? where is the info?

Just seen Pretoria and you are right, it fits the criteria of being sunnier in winter. However, highs are a bit high (in the winter i mean). The lows are good, though. Pretoria must have a great winter, anyway, i wouldnt mind spending a winter in that climate. Summer doesnt look nearly as bad as in BA, specially the lows! and the humidity! Someone should open a thread about ranking Pretoria climate. If it wasnt so sunny and if it were colder in winter and summer highs, it would nearly be a perfect climate for Sophie.

However, im looking for something more wintery (aka colder), is there?
Johannesburg is similar but slightly cooler:

clima

Old 05-23-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Kunming, China is a possibility although winter highs are slightly higher than BA with much cooler summers.

Kunming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

wow, thats an AWESOME climate deneb!!! Thanks so much for finding it! I specially love the summers! those 24c highs are perfect for me, close to the ones i chose for sophieland!!! And the winters are super sunny! Love it! I ADORE winter lows!! The only downsides are that winter highs are too high and winter lasts so little! Also, its too humid for my tastes!.

But, besides those details....excellent climate!! I think its a B or B+ for me(depending on how dark those 2200 sunshine hours would feel), easily one of the highest ratings i gave in this forum (never rated any real climate with an A).

Thanks deneb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather