Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite season?
Autumn 19 44.19%
Winter 7 16.28%
Spring 5 11.63%
Summer 9 20.93%
like them all! 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:30 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

I voted for Winter, since I'm simply not a heat person... of course, it doesn't make much of a difference living in San Francisco - all feels basically the same!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 10:30 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
I voted summer because where I come from its damp/wet alot and we've not had a real summer in about 2 years. I long for my holidays to the deep south or Spain

Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Being a native Texan where we had really on two seaons - summer and (a dinky) winter, I was totally amazed and felt very fortunate to have experienced the fall weather when we moved to upstate NY. Now that I have moved to the west coast, I miss autumn dearly. I just mentioned the imminent season on my blog so here it is:

Three months of wretched heat is totally worth the nice weather we've had this weekend. Nine months of beautiful sunny skies and warm, humid-free days? Love it! (Referring to where we currently live, Phoenix)

I have to say though, I miss the fall season in upstate New York. The apple-picking for delicious honeycrisps was a favorite activity during this time of year. They were so succulent and so crispy the instant you take that first bite you could've died and gone to heaven and not have missed anything in between. The beautiful fall season with the leaves changing - the bright oranges and yellows falling to the ground. That cool, fresh air you feel blowing against your face and you know if the wind got any stronger or any colder, all the delicate leaves that remained would gently float to its inevitable end and winter would soon follow. Then you start to look forward to that first sheet of snow and realize the only thing more beautiful than the trees changing colors in the east coast is that white virgin snow. That pure layer of untouched perfection. As I picture this in my mind, I find myself back in that dinky 800 sq. ft. apartment we lived in, hot cocoa in hand, DH's arm around me, snuggled on the couch, me in my nook with a nice warm blanket and my ear laid against his chest, hearing his heart beat as the snowfalls in the background and you think, "Life can't get any better than this."

Old 09-26-2007, 02:00 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times
Im not a big fall season person. Never have been. When I was a kid I always though the leaves changing and dying was ugly. I couldn't wait for snow or greenery to blossom. I don't like wet soggy leaves covering all the grass.

My favorite season is probably summer. I generally don't care how hot it gets, but cold freezes my fingers and toes to the bone. Its hard to find a pair of gloves that will keep your hands warm when it gets really cold out. Though I love winters with a lot of snow because it insulates the air. Sometimes its just long sleeve shirt weather with snow on the ground. But since I have always been skinny with a very high metabolism no matter how much or what I eat, I would probably conclude with summer.

I like it most when the grass starts to brown just a little from the long hot summer days, and the pines are their sharp brown and green colors. Pick a spot in the grass and camp out. At least in the north where the bugs aren't much of a problem.

I don't like Christmas being warm though. That is very hard for me to handle. It doesn't feel like Christmas no matter how much I tell myself it is. Lights don't even make it near as cool as it is with snow.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:06 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Being a native Texan where we had really on two seaons - summer and (a dinky) winter, I was totally amazed and felt very fortunate to have experienced the fall weather when we moved to upstate NY. Now that I have moved to the west coast, I miss autumn dearly. I just mentioned the imminent season on my blog so here it is:

Three months of wretched heat is totally worth the nice weather we've had this weekend. Nine months of beautiful sunny skies and warm, humid-free days? Love it! (Referring to where we currently live, Phoenix)

I have to say though, I miss the fall season in upstate New York. The apple-picking for delicious honeycrisps was a favorite activity during this time of year. They were so succulent and so crispy the instant you take that first bite you could've died and gone to heaven and not have missed anything in between. The beautiful fall season with the leaves changing - the bright oranges and yellows falling to the ground. That cool, fresh air you feel blowing against your face and you know if the wind got any stronger or any colder, all the delicate leaves that remained would gently float to its inevitable end and winter would soon follow. Then you start to look forward to that first sheet of snow and realize the only thing more beautiful than the trees changing colors in the east coast is that white virgin snow. That pure layer of untouched perfection. As I picture this in my mind, I find myself back in that dinky 800 sq. ft. apartment we lived in, hot cocoa in hand, DH's arm around me, snuggled on the couch, me in my nook with a nice warm blanket and my ear laid against his chest, hearing his heart beat as the snowfalls in the background and you think, "Life can't get any better than this."
Wow, foma, another descriptive writer like aiangel!

Old 09-26-2007, 02:25 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Wow, foma, another descriptive writer like aiangel!

Yeah, I just realized one day, "Man, it's almost October and there are no trees to see change colors!" That's when I realized I miss autumn and suddenly, I found myself in nostalgia!

Old 09-26-2007, 03:22 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,159 times
I long for Autumn after the beastly hot Texas summers. The cool, crisp air is delightful and it's so much drier than in the summer. Sometimes the trees turn colors, but not every year.

Winter would be my second choice because it's still cool and sometimes cold ~ love it!!

Spring is third not because I don't love seeing blossoming trees, etc, but because the humidity comes back and the tornado threats are heightened.

Obviously, summer is not at all on my list. YUCK to summer in Texas which lasts about five months. It takes up too much time for us to even have a decent Autumn or Spring.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:01 PM

172 posts, read 608,987 times
Early Fall (Late Summer) is my favorite. September to mid October here in the PacNW are USUALLY nice with comfortable days (60's and 70's) and cool nights (40's to low 50's). However, when it rains in fall (all this next week cool and showery) it is awful and reminds me that winter is on its way with the clouds, showers, and dampness. I wish that I lived in New England or the Maritimes in the fall though (and maybe the winter....not the spring or summer), the leaves changing there are spectacular.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:30 AM

396 posts, read 1,276,095 times
I chose spring. I love that classic spring feel. Also, it's still cold enough to snow through mid-April (and it's a WET snow), the temperatures are perfect (a few days in the 30s, with a few nice, sunny days in the 60s and 70s), and there's plenty of rain. In a good spring, there's a storm every few days. However, dry springs are very boring and dull, such as last spring.

I love snow and fog, therefore winter would be the obvious choice for me, but every winter we get these nasty inversions, and while they bring fog, if they last too long the weather just gets horrible. It's dry and very hazy, as well as cold. If it's gonna be cold, I think it should be nice and clear (though preferrably not windy), or else very snowy. Winter does get plenty of snow, and that's a plus.

Summer is good only when we get a good thunderstorm season. Otherwise it's hot, dry, and sunny, with only a few good t-storm days.

Fall is great a lot of the time, but too often it's just dry and dull for weeks on end. I HATE Indian Summer. I prefer a wet Autumn over a wet Spring, though, since it's transitioning into winter and the leaves are falling off the trees. Sometimes I can really appreciate that "Halloween" feel.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:32 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
My favorite "season" is when highs are between 85-105 F and nights between 65-80 F.

This "season" does not even exist though, except when I go on vacation... far, far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather