U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 PM

10,669 posts, read 14,204,878 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about subtropical highland climates and whether they really should be classified as subtropical. The wiki article states that La Paz is subtropical highland but is this really a misnomer? When I look at the stats, there is nothing subtropical about La Paz any more than there would be about Reykjavik or Torshavn.
Should highland climates in the tropics particularly have a different classification structure all their own which doesn't take into account other climate criteria in use by either Koeppen or Trewartha? I know that many climate maps label mountainous areas as "H" but this doesn't really do justice the differences in elevation that produce different climates.

La Paz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:02 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,730,961 times
I think it deserves the "subarctic hell hole" label.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,445,003 times
I'm fine designating these type of climates subtropical, temperate, and subarctic as appropriate. "Highland" always seems kind of a lazy out given their diversity.

For me, La Paz is right at the colder edge of temperate veering towards subarctic. Certainly, in terms of temperatures, I don't think comparisons to subpolar oceanic climates are too far fetched, though the wet and dry cycle of La Paz is very tropical:

Macquarie Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tórshavn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Probably somewhere slightly higher up has a true subarctic climate in terms of thermal regime.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:27 AM

10,669 posts, read 14,204,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
I'm fine designating these type of climates subtropical, temperate, and subarctic as appropriate. "Highland" always seems kind of a lazy out given their diversity.

For me, La Paz is right at the colder edge of temperate veering towards subarctic. Certainly, in terms of temperatures, I don't think comparisons to subpolar oceanic climates are too far fetched, though the wet and dry cycle of La Paz is very tropical:

Macquarie Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tórshavn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Probably somewhere slightly higher up has a true subarctic climate in terms of thermal regime.
The thing is I think it's odd to have "temperate" climates in the tropics because I associate temperate climates with seasonal temperature changes and places like La Paz don't really have that and that's why I think you can't really put them in the same category as even higher latitude oceanic climates...
So to me a place like La Paz is not tropical because it's too cold and is not temperate either because it doesn't have enough seasonal temperature change. It seems like these highland climates in the tropics should be in their own category.

Perhaps a climate like Macquarie Island should also be different entirely - hyper-oceanic tundra maybe?

Old 05-25-2012, 12:52 AM

500 posts, read 877,221 times
It shouldn't be labelled subtropical. La Paz is classified as temperate or highland anyway, not subtropical, but it is a highland in a tropical area so I guess it's just easy to call it a subtropical highland. It is different from other temperate climates like London, but I don't think those places, especially when they get other names too like Oceanic and Maritime West coast, own the temperate description.

Personally I use "highland" as a description rather than "subtropical highland", but only for places in a warm area that, despite the elevation, are still liveable. Highlands at cold latitudes are just mountains, you can't really live there.

EDIT: Actually I do sometime use Subtropical highland, but I still wouldn't call an elevated place at a high latitude a highland.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:54 AM

1,503 posts, read 2,401,347 times
The subtropical title seems to be purely a location, not the climate.
So in that sense it is a misnomer.
Most subtropical highland climates are in fact temperate.
A classic subtropical highland would be one like Toowoomba:

Toowoomba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am a huge fan of climates such as this.
Yearly means are perfect and mild, and extremes of temperature do not occur as those that do at sea level, temperate latitude climates.
La Paz is cool temperate, not even mild temperate.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 AM

5,127 posts, read 7,586,171 times
La Paz temperatures have already been discussed in at least one earlier thread. Wiki and other sources invariably quote means from the airport on the Altiplano. The city stretches down from there a long way and is much warmer. I have been there and experienced the difference. After spending some days at sea level in unusually warm conditions at Arica (in an El Nino) without A/C, La Paz seemed quite refreshing.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:24 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,948,641 times
Do windmills palms grow in La Paz like in NW Europe ? in this case that city could qualify as temperate, temperate/cool...

Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 AM

2,702 posts, read 5,590,843 times
IMO subtropical implies no month below freezing and one month above 22°C, so no.
Highland climates are tough to classify though

Old 05-25-2012, 04:22 AM

5,593 posts, read 7,170,186 times
Well, subtropical highlands are actually temperate in terms of temperature, but they're called that because they are one grade below tropical as far as elevation goes. The description works well enough.

As for La Paz's classification, I would not call it subtropical. Subtropical highland climates include Cfb or Cwb zones. La Paz varies between a Cwc climate and an ETw climate, which is decidedly cooler. We can just call the ETw portions a tundra or alpine climate, but the Cwc is more problematic. As far as the Koeppen classification goes, it's the dry-winter version of the maritime subarctic climate. With it being far away from any ocean and having no seasonality neither maritime nor subarctic seem appropriate. However, I think "temperate subalpine" is very appropriate in this case.

So if I were writing the description I'd call it "varying from alpine to temperate subalpine (Koeppen Cwc with areas of ETw)".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather