Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 08:27 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Also, I see no need to reveal my location because as a general rule I don't talk about my local weather. .
Not that we care but, out of pure curiosity.. Where's the fun in that? How can a lover of weather not tell us whats happening over them? (strange)

We all know the vicinity now so the mind game can stop now. Winnepeg, Southern Manitoba, Minnesota, or North Dakota. (above 1000')

I personally would absolutely love it to hear some stories and actually weather from there. Thats such a prime spot. There arent many active members from that area and I'm always seeking actual happenings.

There's a different feel when someone describes whats happening over them as opposed to another location. I'm sure you have anyway. But I hope you agree. No need for coordinates, just let us know if you see frost at least. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:42 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

We all know the vicinity now so the mind game can stop now. Winnepeg, Southern Manitoba, Minnesota, or North Dakota. (above 1000')
Definitely not. A below 60°F low would not be mentioned as a novelty there and I get the impression he lives in a place with summers hotter than mine. My guess is anywhere west of the Applachians, probably east of the Great Plains, south of Minnesota (and probably not Michigan) and north of the deep south.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Definitely not. A below 60°F low would not be mentioned as a novelty there and I get the impression he lives in a place with summers hotter than mine. My guess is anywhere west of the Applachians, probably east of the Great Plains, south of Minnesota (and probably not Michigan) and north of the deep south.
This was my impression too. Somewhere in Missouri or Iowa maybe? Though the lowest temperatures I could find in Missouri yesterday were upper 50s. But even for him, that may have been a significant improvement over the general theme this summer.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
This was my impression too. Somewhere in Missouri or Iowa maybe? Though the lowest temperatures I could find in Missouri yesterday were upper 50s. But even for him, that may have been a significant improvement over the general theme this summer.
I think he said somewhere he had never been to a boreal climate, so that makes northern Minnesota and Manitoba unlikely. I don't if any of his posts gave any hints about winter, I think those would be easier to tell Iowa apart from Missouri.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
After the heat wave it would be a novelty.... being in the 80s and 90s. These 2 posts gave it away imo. But again, its pointless to even continue discussing this. (childish in my opinion). Someone that doesnt have fun discussing weather where they are is just strange to me. (but thats probably just me)

Quote:
Ah, the joys of interior living. This morning, which is the coolest at my undisclosed location in some time, has been good for airing out my house.
Quote:
It has on occasion produced snow where I live, and snow has fallen under the 548 line in low elevations too (low elevation meaning <1000 feet). .
Iowa or low elevations rarely get snow at 548 (thats higher elevations or north of Plains) But we know the general area of the Mid West which is good enough for me.

here's the elevation map. I didnt realize Iowa had 1000'+ elevation but snow at the 548 level rarely happens there. He said Occasionaly happens.

Whats sad about all this is that this is a weather forum, not a phycology forum. If this was a contest then this would all be fun but its a bit .... childish now.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:28 AM

Default August Temps for CT

Here's a graph I put together of the Mean Temps in August for my area (because I like to show what my area is like )

Coastal location on top. Interior on bottom. Any questions?

BDR
2005 has the highest mean temperature at 76.4. August 1955 is the runner up.
But if we ended August today we would be breaking the record at 78.5!
Last 15 years, 8 times we been above normal here. 7 times below normal.

You can clearly see the uptick here as well since 1950. Currently the average August temperature since then is 74.26°. higher than BDL.

For us to be below normal we would have to have Highs in the 70s for the rest of the month. I dont see that happening. So expect another above normal month for both locations ...maaybe around normal if we can can those troughs to make it down this way. (right now the Great Lakes area will feel cool temps more)

BDL
Its clear there's been an uptick in the August average temp since 1950. Currently the August average for Windsor Locks since 1950 is 72.81.

August of 1973 has the highest mean temp at 76.4. August 1965 has the lowest at 67.5.
But if August was to end right now in 2012 as of the 11th we would break the record for highest mean temperature of 78.1!

Just to be fair here... August 2008 was well below so by no means are we "always" staying above normal for August.

In fact out of the last 15 years, 7 times we have ended up below normal for the month. 7 times above normal and once right on average

Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the charts. Maybe I'll make one for my location. My local station has averaged 75°F so far this August; July averaged 74°F. It's only 20 miles north of Windsor Locks, I'm surprised they're that different.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the charts. Maybe I'll make one for my location. My local station has averaged 75°F so far this August; July averaged 74°F. It's only 20 miles north of Windsor Locks, I'm surprised they're that different.
That would be awesome to see. I wish we had official numbers for litchfield county because you would see even a bigger difference from Windsor. The contrast is pretty amazing given how small CT is. Lots of hills and different elevations in such short distances.

But yeah, I been following the temps closely and it seems like the coast and about 70 miles in have been pretty warm while north of CT has been normal.

If you want, send me the data and I can do it for you. Need each yr from 1950.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:47 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Getting bloody dark outside... wondering if all hell is going to break loose.... oh but then I realised that the sun is setting. Um OK.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:30 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,466 times
Lovely forecast for our area. This is what summer should be like! That upper-level low was just what we needed.
  • Monday 58/79F
  • Tuesday 63/75F
  • Wednesday 60/78F
  • Thursday 63/83F
  • Friday 64/74F
  • Saturday 55/68F (Oh dear )

Quote:
A much larger swath of the East besides Minnesota and North Dakota had their coolest morning in some time. Also, 30's aren't necessary to air out my house - 40's or even 50's will do just fine.
Even this comment is helping me to figure it out. Oops, I guess I shouldn't have said that

Quote:
Don't box him into a corner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather