Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 04:35 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
As a weather moderate for once I wish we had a normal winter and a normal summer. I love our average 85F degree summer days. I don't enjoy temps in the 90's after a couple of days.
Historically, how normal is having both a normal winter and a normal summer (within 1F of the average, let's say)? My guess is that it doesn't happen too often. Still, your point stands.

As for myself, well, I'm about as far from a moderate as you can get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 04:55 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
48 F as of the 5:53AM update (currently 6:55). A nice, crisp morning.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:57 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,408,010 times
Finally looks like a settled pleasant spring like day, temps on the cool side again but much more sunny and clear looking, hopefully no rain unlike every other day so far this month, skies clearing.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:27 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Historically, how normal is having both a normal winter and a normal summer (within 1F of the average, let's say)? My guess is that it doesn't happen too often. Still, your point stands.

As for myself, well, I'm about as far from a moderate as you can get
I thought you would appreciate my wanting an "average" Philly winter and not an above normal one. Our avg high in January is just 40F with a low around 25F. I think you would be quite happy in that environment. On a yearly basis we don't stray far from average, but that is because if you get a very warm winter, often other times of the year end up below normal to even out the temps. I just would like one year when every season was very close to average.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Default July Thoughts by Joe Bastardi

This is the only time I like JB. When he shows facts/data/analogs. His thoughts can sometimes be a little... _____

Here he used the Day 11 Ensembles and found the other years that looked like that in the same period. What comes up is a July data using those dates(gotta love computer analysis).

Looks like 70s/80s will be the theme for most.

Now why did he just use Day 11??? Thats what really aggravates me and makes me think he only has one agenda, to find and show the cold could happen. Come on Joe, at least show what has happened and maybe you might be credible. Or at least show what could happen for a torch again.

July Thoughts by Joe Bastardi - YouTube

Old 06-06-2012, 09:35 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I thought you would appreciate my wanting an "average" Philly winter and not an above normal one.
A normal winter is better than a warm winter, but a cold winter is better than a normal winter. If you like average seasons where you live that's just fine with me, but normal and above normal aren't the only choices available, and I hope you can understand why, if I lived there, I'd be of the belief that your climate needs all the (cold) help it can get .

Quote:
Our avg high in January is just 40F with a low around 25F. I think you would be quite happy in that environment.
If you think I, a winter lover, would be happy in that environment, then you obviously don't have any idea of what a winter is. That January is pathetically warm. That monthly average needs to be at least 10F colder, preferably 20F or more. I have stricter requirements aside from the absence of uncomfortable heat, such as some good winter weather. Your location doesn't have constant subfreezing temperatures (and thus no rain or major thawing), any occasional bitter cold snaps (<-20F), or plenty of snow (or really much snow at all!) (plenty in this case means at the very least 50 inches, more like >100 inches). All of that is required for me to be "quite happy" in January. Your location has exactly none of them in a normal winter, or even the vast majority of cold winters (even in the few that get plenty of snow most of the other criteria are not met). If we're talking March or April I would like that sort of weather, but of course your location has constant warmth by then .

Just take a look at my dream climate's averages to get an idea of what I'd like in an ideal climate. There is no comparison with even the coldest months Philly has ever had, let alone a normal January. Do you seriously think I'd be quite happy with a January that is warmer than I'd ever like it to be 60% of the time and never gets within 20 degrees of what I'd like my averages to be (a normal Philly January)?

Old 06-06-2012, 10:01 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,408,010 times
Looks like Keflavik Iceland is becoming more like Buxton's summer every year, I'm going to book a holiday, 7 days there in late July so I have a chance of seeing 25 degrees again this summer and can tan myself on the beach. Wikipedia badly needs to update the climate stats for these Iceland places, in the last 30 years summers there have warmed up at least 2°C, amazing.

Wow look at this, Keflavik climate in 35 years time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keflav%C3%ADk#Climate

Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,023 times
A day of much rain and thunderstorms today in the afternoon. I looked out the window and saw a sun shower for quite a while. Then a thundershower.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Overcast and 46°F this morning. Probably some valley fog.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:20 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Was looking for a location with high temps for you heat lovers. I can hear the luggage being packed right now.... or maybe not. Current temps.

Gees, maybe trees do help keep us cool. (now I hear the chainsaws going off) lol

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather