Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:00 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times

Advertisements

Due to the nature of the spring-to-summer transition over much of the world as well as the approach of meteorological summer, and the occurrence of Memorial Day in the United States, I've decided to start the Summer 2012 discussion thread.

Some parts of the world have already been in summer's grip for a while, whereas others are still ensconced in springtime cool spells, and others may not ever reach a real summer, so the chronological dates on the topic title are just guidelines. If you are in a location that has already transitioned to summer or is experiencing summer-like weather, post here. If you're living in an area that is still in Spring, or have material that is still appropriate for the Spring thread, such as snowstorms and frosts, I encourage you to post it there until the Summer Solstice. Long-range summer forecasts should be posted here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 04:06 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Due to the nature of the spring-to-summer transition over much of the world as well as the approach of meteorological summer, and the occurrence of Memorial Day in the United States, I've decided to start the Summer 2012 discussion thread.
Some parts of the world have already been in summer's grip for a while, whereas others are still ensconced in springtime cool spells, and others may not ever reach a real summer, so the chronological dates on the topic title are just guidelines. If you are in a location that has already transitioned to summer or is experiencing summer-like weather, post here. If you're living in an area that is still in Spring, or have material that is still appropriate for the Spring thread, such as snowstorms and frosts, I encourage you to post it there until the Summer Solstice. Long-range summer forecasts should be posted here.
Summer is beginning in Connecticut with its usual mass confusion of not knowing whether to be clear and cooler or hot and muggy with air so thick you can barely breathe. Today, Memorial day is going to be muggy as foretold by the fog that is struggling to lift wtih temps in the middle 80's. We are doing the normal summer chores to be ready for the inconsistent weather that is bound to be here once again. Our pool is scheduled to be opened June 11th and we are truly looking forward to swimming and having a great summer. Lets hope the rain is minimal and the sunshine plentiful.

Happy Memorial Day to all the Vets and everyone who celebrates! Hug a Veteran today they are all heroes.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
In Long Island; low this morning was 67°F now about 70°F with a dew point of 68°F. For here, most humid day so far. With the humidity it feels closer to summer conditions rather than spring conditions.

From all my open windows, the birds sound very happy.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:12 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
The low here was only about 72, with lots of humidity thrown in of course.

This is a particularly rough time of the year for me, as this marks the end of "easy" summer and the beginning of "core" summer, i.e., the dreaded months of June, July and August. If only I could put myself in stasis for those three months...lol

Looking ahead, I still have to cross the milestones of the Solstice, the 4th of July weekend and that long, long stretch to Labor Day, which seems to recede ever further into the horizon like a mirage as the merciless Dog Days roll on seemingly without end. I sit here in my air-conditioned prison, watching the radar returns for the storms that never come, the grass browning from the never-ending drought, the sun wheeling ever so slowly across the hazy, heat-saturated sky.

Such a dreaded season...if only I could trade places with WF2...lol. In my dreams....only in my dreams...

Old 05-28-2012, 08:59 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
The low here was 67 F. Forecasted to reach 91 F today with humidity of course. It's only May and we've only had a handful of 'summery' days, but I'm already tired of it. Humidity, stickiness, bugs, annoyingly loud birds, crickets, and tree frogs. My A/C is old and needs to be replaced, but it still works well enough. I prefer fresh air, but A/C is better than the alternative. A hot cup of coffee in the morning has lost its appeal.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Humidity, stickiness, bugs, annoyingly loud birds, crickets, and tree frogs.
We had the windows wide open overnight and in the morning. My mom was saying how it was great to be able to hear so many birds in the morning. I told her I've heard some people complain about bird noise, and she was surprised such people exist.

It's already 80°F but our high is forecast to be 83°F.

I felt slightly cool in the morning with shorts on and temperatures around 71°F; I'm wondering if my body tends to feel cold for the first hour of waking up. The true marker of summer is when I switch from coffee to iced coffee.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Going to be really hot today. Forecasted high 33C/91F!

Old 05-28-2012, 09:22 AM

559 posts, read 748,241 times
Definitely feels like summer already. Currently 76 F at 11:20 AM, forecast to be 91 F today!! Way too early for this crap. If it's going to be 90 degrees, it should at least wait until summer actually starts...

Well, atleast it gets down to 72 F on Thursday and 66 F on Saturday

Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
The low here was 67 F. Forecasted to reach 91 F today with humidity of course. It's only May and we've only had a handful of 'summery' days, but I'm already tired of it. Humidity, stickiness, bugs, annoyingly loud birds, crickets, and tree frogs. My A/C is old and needs to be replaced, but it still works well enough. I prefer fresh air, but A/C is better than the alternative. A hot cup of coffee in the morning has lost its appeal.
I agree with you. It's awful, and I get tired of it very quickly. If I had a choice I wouldn't have any lows even approaching 67F at any point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
We had the windows wide open overnight and in the morning. My mom was saying how it was great to be able to hear so many birds in the morning. I told her I've heard some people complain about bird noise, and she was surprised such people exist.
I hate hearing the racket produced by those creatures and beasts. I find the bird noises very annoying and jarring. I prefer to wake up in a low-noise environment, with open windows carrying ambient sounds from a lower amount of creatures, the breeze, the rain, and so forth.

Quote:
I felt slightly cool in the morning with shorts on and temperatures around 71°F; I'm wondering if my body tends to feel cold for the first hour of waking up. The true marker of summer is when I switch from coffee to iced coffee.
71F? I'd be hot and sweated from the humidity, not to mention the fact of the scorching sunshine and the very quick morning warm-up, and the bugs, et cetera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
The low here was only about 72, with lots of humidity thrown in of course.

This is a particularly rough time of the year for me, as this marks the end of "easy" summer and the beginning of "core" summer, i.e., the dreaded months of June, July and August. If only I could put myself in stasis for those three months...lol

Looking ahead, I still have to cross the milestones of the Solstice, the 4th of July weekend and that long, long stretch to Labor Day, which seems to recede ever further into the horizon like a mirage as the merciless Dog Days roll on seemingly without end. I sit here in my air-conditioned prison, watching the radar returns for the storms that never come, the grass browning from the never-ending drought, the sun wheeling ever so slowly across the hazy, heat-saturated sky.

Such a dreaded season...if only I could trade places with WF2...lol. In my dreams....only in my dreams...
Poetic.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I hate hearing the racket produced by those creatures and beasts. I find the bird noises very annoying and jarring. I prefer to wake up in a low-noise environment, with open windows carrying ambient sounds from a lower amount of creatures, the breeze, the rain, and so forth.
I find birdsong peaceful and pretty even if a bit loud.

Quote:
71F? I'd be hot and sweated from the humidity, not to mention the fact of the scorching sunshine and the very quick morning warm-up, and the bugs, et cetera.
I was inside. Obviously no bugs with screens. And I didn't mention scorching sunshine, at that hour (8-9:30 AM) there was little if any reaching the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather