Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 04:54 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
For so many posters on here it seems like the A+ rated climates are usually small cities, towns, or tiny villages

Its true, usually the big cities and capitals have more crappy weather than little towns, imo.

As far as my preferences, i found quite a few lovely NZ small cities or towns as the better climates i ve seen on this forums, if im not remembering it wrong. The capitals or big cities never got great ratings from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 03:44 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
That's my theory aswell, these buggers tried to replicate their homeland's gay climates Well, mission accomplished you ****ing donkeys.
Billy Connolly made a joke about the early Scottish settlers when scoping out a place to settle in the South Island. Quote (upon stumbling across Dunedin): "...cold, horizontal drizzle and rain. Excellent! Let's settle here!"

Obviously other factors related to which areas were settled (presumably those which offered good harbors and ports) but an amusing take anyway...

Old 08-25-2012, 08:42 AM

497 posts, read 983,364 times
Quote:
For ****s sake why didn't the early settlers develop this area into a major metropolis
No one else wanted it, so their resources were better spent building up the places that had interest from other parties.

Quote:
That's because they weren't Spanish or Portuguese The British Islanders are not used to hot, dry conditions like the Spanish are, which is probably why we settled mostly in subtropical and tropical areas because they are similar to Spanish conditions of very hot and dry conditions for part of the year.
I think the British actually preferred subtropical places. In South America, for example, the Rio de La Plata area was what they wanted most. They even wanted Asuncion. Subtropical isn't really hot and dry though, so I guess you have a point.

Quote:
That's my theory aswell, these buggers tried to replicate their homeland's gay climates Well, mission accomplished you ****ing donkeys.
The Gold Rush also played a part in why Victoria is more developed than other areas.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:57 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Wow, that is sunny for somewhere with less than 12 hours of daylight, must be over 90% of possible in Darwin's case. What's causing Invercargill to be that much sunnier than Dunedin (and Wgtn/Chch for that matter) when they are so close?
For Darwin, the running average is 319 hours, record high is 341 hrs in 1995 and low 291 in 1982.
In Invercargill's case - the running average is 121 hours - they've had much less cloudy/showery westerlies than usual and more dry and sunny N-NE flows, record high is 168 hours recorded in 1989.
On-shore easterlies, mainly nor-easterlies, deliver more cloud to eastern areas whereas the south coast of Southland is sheltered due to the, mainly, overland effect.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:38 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
For so many posters on here it seems like the A+ rated climates are usually small cities, towns, or tiny villages
There's usually just a small area of perfect climates for a given person, and it's worth noting that if you throw darts at random onto a world map, chances are you will not hit a big city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I guess there's a reason why major cities are usually located in temperate climates that rarely get hot or cold (relatively). The hot aridity of northern Australia and biting cold of Minnesota were hardly conductive to human life during the dominance of European colonial powers.
In the case of Minnesota and northern Australia, the economics at the time just weren't viable. In the case of Minnesota, there were fur trappers roaming about during the colonial era, and that was the primary "industry". It also had the colonial-era disadvantage of being deep in the interior. Contrast that with Maine, Newfoundland, and Nova Scotia where they had access to the sea. Access by ship there was a lot easier than it was in Minnesota, and fishing was a big industry at the time.

Climate does play a role, but it isn't nearly as important as economics.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:
Wow, that is sunny for somewhere with less than 12 hours of daylight, must be over 90% of possible in Darwin's case. What's causing Invercargill to be that much sunnier than Dunedin (and Wgtn/Chch for that matter) when they are so close?
Average sun in Darwin Jun-Aug is about 88% of the astronomical daylight, probably just over 90% of the recordable with the equipment used if the horizon is flat. Broome averages about 91% in August (astronomical daylight - real value probably about 93-94%).

The exceptional cloudiness in various eastern areas and Wellington should change soon. Meanwhile W'gton is getting its first August since 1990 with a substantial deficit (i.e. <85% of average). The monthly total will be the lowest since then (if the last 3 days of the month are quite sunny per current forecast), or even the lowest since 1977 if the forecast is a bit off. The record low from 1966 should be safe.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:04 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Average sun in Darwin Jun-Aug is about 88% of the astronomical daylight, probably just over 90% of the recordable with the equipment used if the horizon is flat. Broome averages about 91% in August (astronomical daylight - real value probably about 93-94%).

The exceptional cloudiness in various eastern areas and Wellington should change soon. Meanwhile W'gton is getting its first August since 1990 with a substantial deficit (i.e. <85% of average). The monthly total will be the lowest since then (if the last 3 days of the month are quite sunny per current forecast), or even the lowest since 1977 if the forecast is a bit off. The record low from 1966 should be safe.
Thanks. That 341 hours Darwin had in August 1995 (i.e. 11 hours a day, or close enough) must be very close to 100% of the recordable, given that their August days seem to be about 11h40 long. I've seen 20 days in a row of literally non-stop cloudless skies in Spain before but an entire calendar month is pretty difficult to get my head around! Presumably 100% of recordable sunshine over a whole month has been done before (providing it's possible to work out exactly what the recordable sunshine is) - I'm thinking Sacramento in July with its 98% average or any one of a number of Middle Eastern/North African/Aussie sites. Do you happen to know of the record highest/lowest % monthly sunshine figure?

Old 08-26-2012, 02:46 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:
Thanks. That 341 hours Darwin had in August 1995 (i.e. 11 hours a day, or close enough) must be very close to 100% of the recordable, given that their August days seem to be about 11h40 long. I've seen 20 days in a row of literally non-stop cloudless skies in Spain before but an entire calendar month is pretty difficult to get my head around! Presumably 100% of recordable sunshine over a whole month has been done before (providing it's possible to work out exactly what the recordable sunshine is) - I'm thinking Sacramento in July with its 98% average or any one of a number of Middle Eastern/North African/Aussie sites. Do you happen to know of the record highest/lowest % monthly sunshine figure?
Darwin's astronomical value for August would be about 364 hours, so 341 was probably about 97% in "real" terms. I haven't seen any general/global records quoted in the % context, but Sacramento (averaging 97%) must have come quite close to 100% at times. Reports of the kind you get from Wunderground (with a calendar page and icons for each day) are no more than indicative. One such for Calama, Chile for Nov 2011 showed 30 "clear, sunny" days, but I suspect the reality would be "only" about 90% sun.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:45 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,067,660 times
22 C yesterday with a low of around 13 C -- pretty much an average mid-summer day here. Lots of trees blossoming and regaining leaves. Cloudy though, after a sunny start -- by the afternoon it was hard to find a patch of blue in the sky.

18 C and sunny, but that southerly change should be here shortly bringing us down to 5 C and heavy horizontal rain again.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:09 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
22 C yesterday with a low of around 13 C -- pretty much an average mid-summer day here. Lots of trees blossoming and regaining leaves. Cloudy though, after a sunny start -- by the afternoon it was hard to find a patch of blue in the sky.

18 C and sunny, but that southerly change should be here shortly bringing us down to 5 C and heavy horizontal rain again.
When weather in Christchurch was cold, in BA was warmer few days ago with lows in 20's. Now, in your city its warmer, and here is the opposite hehe. 4.1ºC/10.6ºC today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather