Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate this climate
A 2 14.29%
B 3 21.43%
C 4 28.57%
D 4 28.57%
F 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,968,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I don't see what is so wrong with the summers. 90 is a very comfortable temperature for me. The records are a bit extreme and brutal, but as I said, they don't happen very often. Plus, there is enough rain during the summer to cool things down from time to time.
To me 90F is a very uncomfortable temperature. I think you can understand that . As for the White Christmas, the chances are better than I thought but it's still subpar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,685,141 times
Quote:
I don't see what is so wrong with the summers. 90 is a very comfortable temperature for me.
Well yeah, that's why it's your dream climate and not mine. 90 degrees is a good 15-20 degrees too hot for me.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:03 PM

8,161 posts, read 8,698,298 times
Great climate, A-. I think it's the highest grade I gave to a dream climate. Though I partly agree with PM: December could be colder and the record lows in winter are rather tame to me.
But all in all, a great climate, I'd love to spend a year there.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,225,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
This is too warm, all-around. The summers are awful, and the seasonal lag makes it have the "frog in a pot" feel. This would drag down the rating a lot even if had my ideal winters, but it doesn't.
I don't understand what difference it makes if there's a lag (or lead) as long as you get the temperatures you like. Care to explain the disadvantage of a lag for you?

Old 05-30-2012, 12:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,225,935 times
Quote:
Not too hot in the summer and wet enough to keep the landscape green through the dog days, but still hot enough that any summer lover should be happy.
It's clear you're from the south when you write that. While I won't call 90°F highs in the summer uncomfortable, they are a bit hotter than I like and my favorite season is summer.

Your summer is hotter than any summer I've experienced (by whole summer overall).

Old 05-30-2012, 01:26 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,968,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't understand what difference it makes if there's a lag (or lead) as long as you get the temperatures you like. Care to explain the disadvantage of a lag for you?
There is a particular seasonal rhythm that I prefer, and I like my favorite temperatures to occur at favored times of the year. I prefer a rapid onset, with the early-to-middle part of the season being the most intense as opposed to the "slow boil" approach. It just suits my physiology and personality better, which I suppose is the same reason why anyone would have any other preference when it comes to climate.

Lagging or leading make all the difference when it comes to the chance of a White Christmas as opposed to a White Easter for a winter fan, or the difference between having the hottest time of year in late June or still being subject to "late spring" cold snaps in June for a summer fan. When seasons drag on for so long it's a real drag.

As I said before, it suits me a lot better to have, for example, deep winter in Dec/Jan and high summer in Jun/Jul versus having deep winter in Feb/Mar and high summer in Aug/Sep.

That said, lags or leads in seasons are not a major factor in my ratings, and even if this place had the seasonal lead that I prefer it would still rate poorly, but a lag like this is a negative of some significance for me.

Quote:
It's clear you're from the south when you write that.
Not necessarily. Many people from places that nearly always feature Brown Christmases would say that a 17F winter average high "isn't too cold for winter" .

Old 05-30-2012, 02:56 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,859,735 times
Are these the data for an actual place, or did you make up a profile that you would consider ideal?

This looks fairly similar to Boston, where I live, except that the spring and summer are warmer than Boston's, and the period of heaviest snowfall is skewed a bit earlier than it is in Boston.

I'd give this climate a C. It looks sort of like a fairly typical four-season climate except that it's hotter in the summer than I'd prefer. Of course the comfort of those temperatures would also be affected by humidity. Given the precipitation totals, I'm picturing a fairly humid climate. Those summer temperatures are warmer than I'd prefer if the humidity is even moderately high, though they could be very pleasant in an arid locale.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:35 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,195,114 times
This reminds me a lot of a wetter, stabler Omaha, which also gets a C rating. On second thought, I'll go up a notch to C+ because the extra snow is a plus if your summers are similar to Omaha's.

I would rate my town as B+, btw.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,161,187 times
C

A warmer version of my current climate, especially the summers. Average high were I live on Christmas is 36 F, yet the chances of a White Christmas are still on the low side. Of course I guess you could "control" in dream climate in such a way that nearly guarantees snow on Christmas.

Summers are too hot, but at least winters are refreshingly cool.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,196,462 times
Quote:
It's clear you're from the south when you write that. While I won't call 90°F highs in the summer uncomfortable, they are a bit hotter than I like and my favorite season is summer.

Your summer is hotter than any summer I've experienced (by whole summer overall).
Yeah. Where I am from in Arkansas and Oklahoma, 90*F is comfortable for the summer. July and August temperatures usually hit at least 110 every year. In 2011, they hit 117*F out there. Compared to that, upper 90s is nothing. But that part of the country also has a reverse monsoon effect where there is very little rainfall in July and August causing the soil to dry up and the temperatures to soar, so when it hits 115*F, its usually very low humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather