Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 05:39 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
IIRC, CC prefers dry heat over humid heat since humidity apparently filters out the sun's infrared. So I guess his ideal climate would have summer highs around 100 F with low (afternoon) humidity and lows of 80 F or so. Winters would have lows of 70+ F and highs of 85+ F.

So, basically, Phoenix summers with (less humid) Carribean winters. I can't think of any such climate. It would normally need to be near a warm body of water to have such warm winter lows, but that leads to high summer humidity... I'm thinking somewhere around 10 - 20 N adjacant to a cold ocean current. But nothing really seems to fit the bill...
Yeah, I think his climate preferences are not found on Earth, with the Sahel being the closest. If he disregarded the sub 70°F winter lows in the Sahel (which come natural in the Sahara), that would be his real preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 06:42 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
You all talk about very hot places but if I got it correctly, CC's main complaint is that winters in Townsville are still too cool for his tastes?
Either way, I think temp-wise you would love Singapore (for lows) or Kuala Lumpur (for highs) though either way sunshine is not that high.
I'm talking about developed and populated areas here, otherwise, only climatically speaking, you should head to Curaçao - if you feel cool there, there's no hope for you! Its coolest month has a 24.3°C average low (26.5°C for warmest month), record low is 20.3°C, higher than even Singapore, and annual sunshine is above 3000 hours

Old 06-02-2012, 08:45 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
You all talk about very hot places but if I got it correctly, CC's main complaint is that winters in Townsville are still too cool for his tastes?
Either way, I think temp-wise you would love Singapore (for lows) or Kuala Lumpur (for highs) though either way sunshine is not that high.
I'm talking about developed and populated areas here, otherwise, only climatically speaking, you should head to Curaçao - if you feel cool there, there's no hope for you! Its coolest month has a 24.3°C average low (26.5°C for warmest month), record low is 20.3°C, higher than even Singapore, and annual sunshine is above 3000 hours
Yes, but another poster mentioned that he prefers dry heat as opposed to humid heat.

ColdCanadian, what would you say we're all assuming what you hoped for, so, maybe you could let us know

Old 06-02-2012, 10:01 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,394 times
Cold Canadian would love Wyndham, Australia I would think. Climate statistics for Australian locations < that is the town station..

there is another station at the port, right on the water. Warmer lows but cooler highs and probably a tad more humid http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_001005.shtml

If this is still not suitable, then I'm afraid it's either Dallol or Mercury or Venus.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:05 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
If this is still not suitable, then I'm afraid it's either Dallol or Mercury or Venus.
One has to be picky when choosing a Mercurian climate. Some spots in Mercury are cold enough to retain water ice in a vacuum (<150K), versus the warmer equatorial temperatures. Of course it still drops to pretty cold levels there at night no matter where you are.

As for Venus, temperatures are pretty stable there because it has an atmosphere, and there are spots in the upper levels of the atmosphere that have habitable temperatures as opposed to the instant lethality of the surface. So ColdCanadian might like the climate of the hotter part of the habitable zone on Venus.

Some spots even higher up in the atmosphere probably average below freezing, so even I would be able to find a decent climate somewhere on Venus .

Old 06-02-2012, 02:02 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Uh, Venus is scorching hot 400 degrees Celsius, nothing can live there.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:20 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Hahaha. That was a good read.

As I said before, just because I find it often cool doesn't make it a horrible climate.
I just find it a bit weird that many people would call this climate consistantly, oppressively hot
while I'm not even warm, say 1/3 of my waking hours.
I'm seldom cold however.

But yeah, the main point of my thread was to find out why Townsville has bi-polar cloud patterns.
A day with say 5 hours sunshine would not be a partly or mostly cloudy day, with blue patches all day long.
No, it would be more like overcast and a period where that clears.
Sometimes we are overcast, then sunny, then overcast again.

What surprises me is that overcast is a somewhat uncommon occurance in Western Australia.
More often you'll just get heavier patchy cloud and still have little clear breaks.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:40 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,547 times
Problem for Flight Simmer is that towns in northern WA are much, much smaller than those in North Queensland - so going to a place like Wydham - is not an option anyway.
Coming from someone who has never been north of the Sunshine Coast in SEQ (ample hot to most people) - my readings are that Townsville is very sunny by comparison to many other FNQ centres, and with less humidity.
We are not talking Tully or Innisfail.
Townsville is renowned for sunshine, so I am surprised by CC's observations and experiences.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:50 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Uh, Venus is scorching hot 400 degrees Celsius, nothing can live there.
Only on the surface of the planet. Just like the Earth, temperatures in Venus's atmosphere decrease with altitude, and at around a 50 kilometer altitude temperatures are habitable for humans (0-50C). Of course there are other considerations besides temperature when it comes to actually living there, but it is a fact that the upper levels are more hospitable than one might assume.

[Source]
[A Wikipedia summary of the conditions]

Old 06-02-2012, 04:15 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Hahaha. That was a good read.

As I said before, just because I find it often cool doesn't make it a horrible climate.
I just find it a bit weird that many people would call this climate consistantly, oppressively hot
while I'm not even warm, say 1/3 of my waking hours.
I'm seldom cold however.

But yeah, the main point of my thread was to find out why Townsville has bi-polar cloud patterns.
A day with say 5 hours sunshine would not be a partly or mostly cloudy day, with blue patches all day long.
No, it would be more like overcast and a period where that clears.
Sometimes we are overcast, then sunny, then overcast again.

What surprises me is that overcast is a somewhat uncommon occurance in Western Australia.
More often you'll just get heavier patchy cloud and still have little clear breaks.
Prove your bi-polar assertion re daily quantities - I don't believe it. There's 13 months' or so back data for Townsville and many other stations directly available from the BOM site. You have to then make comparisons with other places to establish your claim!

If you're just tlaking about alternation of cloud cover within a given day, there's probably no data available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather