Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 04:37 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Cold Canadian would love Wyndham, Australia I would think. Climate statistics for Australian locations < that is the town station..

there is another station at the port, right on the water. Warmer lows but cooler highs and probably a tad more humid Climate statistics for Australian locations

If this is still not suitable, then I'm afraid it's either Dallol or Mercury or Venus.
If he wants 9 hrs or more per day on an annual basis, then this map suggests he can't have a largeish town at the same time.

Australian Climate Averages - Sunshine Hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 05:40 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Nice forecast for Townsville, CC will be happy!

Townsville weather - local weather forecast

Old 06-02-2012, 06:34 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Townsville's winters are warmer than Vancouver's summers.. I know I'd be ecstatic to be there

Old 06-03-2012, 02:28 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
If he wants 9 hrs or more per day on an annual basis, then this map suggests he can't have a largeish town at the same time.

Australian Climate Averages - Sunshine Hours

Interesting map.
Port Hedland is the largest such town, and nobody ever raves about it!

Old 06-03-2012, 03:50 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Interesting map.
Port Hedland is the largest such town, and nobody ever raves about it!

It's a hole. A house that looks like something out of 3rd world Africa costs $700,000 or about $500 week in rent

Old 06-03-2012, 04:04 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Prove your bi-polar assertion re daily quantities - I don't believe it. There's 13 months' or so back data for Townsville and many other stations directly available from the BOM site. You have to then make comparisons with other places to establish your claim!

If you're just tlaking about alternation of cloud cover within a given day, there's probably no data available.
I can't prove it.

It does alternate a lot here.
I was just wondering if someone knows which conditions favour the development of overcast skies.

*Yes FlightSimmer, Wyndham would be a great climate for me*

Old 06-03-2012, 04:04 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
It's a hole. A house that looks like something out of 3rd world Africa costs $700,000 or about $500 week in rent
I know a part-Maori girl who used to live up in Hedland. She used to get violently bashed up by the aborigines there. I've heard a lot of bad things about it. I have passed through it...just a big industrial mining town and port.

Port Hedland is just in the only part of Australia that, according to the BOM, boasts over 10 hours a day of sun on average.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:07 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
Nice forecast for Townsville, CC will be happy!

Townsville weather - local weather forecast
Yep, today was our first day in over a week that was neither cloudy or chilly.

I felt great today.

I'm not looking forward to the 11 C lows, but at least with sunshine that means I should be happy by 10am.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:13 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times
Quote:
Yep, it's little more than overpriced mining/construction camp at the moment.

The WA government's Pilbara Cities Initiative is setting target populations of 50,000 for both Port Hedland and Karratha by 2035, so if all goes to plan they might be a lot more appealing in the future.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I know a part-Maori girl who used to live up in Hedland. She used to get violently bashed up by the aborigines there. I've heard a lot of bad things about it. I have passed through it...just a big industrial mining town and port.

Port Hedland is just in the only part of Australia that, according to the BOM, boasts over 10 hours a day of sun on average.
That would bring Port Hedland's annual sunshine to atleast 3700 hours. Shame this wasn't milked by the early settlers. From the pics of the town I've seen, it appears everything is covered in this rust-coloured silt, similar to Whyalla in SA. Not appealing at all.
It makes me wonder if there is anywhere in Australia that exceeds 4000 hours. There is absolutely nothing in the way of weather stations or sunshine recorders over such a vast part of the Pilbara and Kimberley, I would expect somewhere way out in the desert to record around 4000 hours, away from the coast and monsoon, but still far enough north and inland to avoid frontal cloud and low pressure systems. For the same reason, I would not be the least be surprised if there are places that are hotter in summer than Marble Bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Yep, it's little more than overpriced mining/construction camp at the moment.

The WA government's Pilbara Cities Initiative is setting target populations of 50,000 for both Port Hedland and Karratha by 2035, so if all goes to plan they might be a lot more appealing in the future.
Karratha actually looks decent from what I've seen, better than Port Hedland with proper housing and infrastructure. And cleaner aswell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather