Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Rating climates 10 32.26%
Comparing climates 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,199,858 times

Advertisements

I don't have a preference. Most of the time I don't post in the thread, just vote. I get a nice geography lesson once in a while, so that part is fun at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree, it seems they're taking over the board. It's like we've unleashed a monster. Maybe the mod should start limiting the number of those type of threads.
They've taken over the board months ago (it's probably been more than a year now). They're a staple of the Weather forum now. Unless the forum collectively stops finding or creating new climates to rate, it won't stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 11:57 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Most people gave London a C on rate a climate, but when it's put up against another city it has lost every single time.

I'm surprised at how cold climates get as many votes as they do in climate battles as well.
I don't recall that. What do you consider a cold climate city?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:24 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,567,528 times
Anywhere that can get regular frost or snow in winter.

Eg Boston or Toronto.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:03 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,980,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What do you consider a cold climate city?
This question wasn't directed at me, but to me a "cold climate city" would have to have the following characteristics:

1. 2+ months of 25/10F or colder
2. Hottest month 79/59F or cooler
3. No more than 4 months 70/50F or warmer

This means that places like Fairbanks, Winnipeg, Anchorage, and Marquette qualify, and places like Boston, Chicago, London, and Omaha do not. It roughly corresponds to climates in northern half of the Dfb zone and points colder.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:26 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,649,481 times
I like the climate battles better.. sometimes it really forces you to think as some climates are really close together.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:17 PM

914 posts, read 2,099,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
This question wasn't directed at me, but to me a "cold climate city" would have to have the following characteristics:

1. 2+ months of 25/10F or colder
2. Hottest month 79/59F or cooler
3. No more than 4 months 70/50F or warmer

This means that places like Fairbanks, Winnipeg, Anchorage, and Marquette qualify, and places like Boston, Chicago, London, and Omaha do not. It roughly corresponds to climates in northern half of the Dfb zone and points colder.
Using your set of criteria, places along the Greenland coast, the Aleutian island and coastal Alaskan sites, most of Arctic Scandinavia , which all have polar tundra climates, as well as Reykjavík would not be considered "cold" because their winters do not meet that established threshold.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Using your set of criteria, places along the Greenland coast, the Aleutian island and coastal Alaskan sites, most of Arctic Scandinavia , which all have polar tundra climates, as well as Reykjavík would not be considered "cold" because their winters do not meet that established threshold.
It's mainly centered on winters, but a place that has winters of 30/15F and summers of 50/35F, for example, is better described as a "chilly climate city" in my opinion. Of course no simple system like this is perfect - that's why the Koeppen and Trewartha systems were invented with their myriad types.

However, northern settlements in Greenland and many sites in coastal Alaska would qualify. It's mostly designed to center around winters as well as to weed out those who do not meet my "high winter" threshold of guaranteed winter weather; I wouldn't want places like Kerguelen to qualify.

What would be your criteria? I guess you would use annual mean temperature or some sort of winter/summer combination, whereas others would call anywhere that gets more than one snow event a "cold climate city", and others from Yakutia would probably use -40F as a threshold .

Old 06-04-2012, 02:16 AM

914 posts, read 2,099,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It's mainly centered on winters, but a place that has winters of 30/15F and summers of 50/35F, for example, is better described as a "chilly climate city" in my opinion. Of course no simple system like this is perfect - that's why the Koeppen and Trewartha systems were invented with their myriad types.

However, northern settlements in Greenland and many sites in coastal Alaska would qualify. It's mostly designed to center around winters as well as to weed out those who do not meet my "high winter" threshold of guaranteed winter weather; I wouldn't want places like Kerguelen to qualify.

What would be your criteria? I guess you would use annual mean temperature or some sort of winter/summer combination, whereas others would call anywhere that gets more than one snow event a "cold climate city", and others from Yakutia would probably use -40F as a threshold .
I don't think anybody in Yakutsk would use -40F as a threshold for winter. Even though I do proclaim to like more extreme temperatures than you, I still find it laughable that you would consider 50/35 summer temps as chilly and not cold. Simply put, when it's cold, it's cold. There's no need to push the "cold" benchmark as low as you can to make yourself stand out from mild lovers.

To be considered a cold city in my view, winter has to be the longest season of the year. Frosts should be possible from September through May. I put more weight in summer weather more so than winter when using the label "cold" to broadly classify climates . Even though Winnipeg has quite pronounced winters, its hot summers are simply too much and too long, enough for me to call it a warm city. The word temperate serves an excellent purpose for describing hot summer/cold winter climates. On the other hand, climates found in the Kerguelen Island and La Paz look perfectly fine in my list of cold places. Any places that get extended periods of 80F+ weather, no matter how cold the winters are, do not make it to my "cold" list. With that said, Harbin and International Falls are not cold cities by my definition. My strict ceiling on high temps should sufficiently weeds out most humid continental climates from making the list, reserving the approval for only subarctic climates.

Examples of cold cities:
La Paz
Yellowknife
Reyjkavik

Temperate cities:
Harbin
Stockholm
Minneapolis
Winnipeg
Montreal

Warm :
Miami
Dallas

Chilly:
San Francisco

Last edited by Kaul; 06-04-2012 at 02:32 AM..

Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,177,614 times
Comparing climates.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Comparing climates.
Wow. I wasn't expecting this thread to be revived, but thanks for adding your vote. It's interesting to look back and see the discussion here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather