Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Los Angeles?
Downtown Los Angeles (the REAL LA) 11 36.67%
Titled Earth Los Angeles by bchris02 10 33.33%
Cwa Los Angeles by Candle 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:12 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,960,321 times

Advertisements

BChris02's Los Angeles wins in my book - it's the coolest one overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:08 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,669,843 times
Yep, bchris02's for me, too.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:59 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,535,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post

I've done more climates in the above scenario...Houston would be even more hellish!
Have you done one for London?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:19 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,531,680 times
Nope, only North American locations. I'd guess London would be similar to Ust-Kamchatsk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but probably slightly wetter overall.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:27 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,589,222 times
Quote:
Nope, only North American locations. I'd guess London would be similar to Ust-Kamchatsk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but probably slightly wetter overall.
I bet Vancouver would be similar to how St. John's is now.. now there is a scary thought

Old 06-05-2012, 10:36 PM

914 posts, read 2,094,562 times
If all the continents were reversed like in the picture, Alaska would become the new Pole of Cold in the Northern Hemisphere, replacing eastern Siberia. Fairbanks will probably acquire a climate that is similar to present day Oymyakon and Verkhoyansk. Also there would be no ice sheet over Greenland due to the moderation from the jet stream.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:31 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,960,321 times
Quote:
Here is how the planet would look if all continents were reversed horizontally:
For what it's worth, here's Strebe's world map (using the Kavrayskiy VII projection) reversed to show south at the top. One can truly realize here just how much of the Southern Hemisphere is covered by ocean:

Old 06-06-2012, 09:25 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,775,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I bet Vancouver would be similar to how St. John's is now.. now there is a scary thought
Vancouver would be lucky to be St. John's. More likely something between Vladivostok and Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky.

Then again, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia is roughly the same lattitude as Marseille, France and would likely sharing the hospitable climate. I can't help but think if the oceans were flowing the other way Canada's climate selection would be in total a lot better, at least for warmth lovers. The Maritimes might very well be quite amazing compared to what they are now, with even spots like St. John's being more akin to the Scilly Isles.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:22 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,589,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Vancouver would be lucky to be St. John's. More likely something between Vladivostok and Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky.

Then again, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia is roughly the same lattitude as Marseille, France and would likely sharing the hospitable climate. I can't help but think if the oceans were flowing the other way Canada's climate selection would be in total a lot better, at least for warmth lovers. The Maritimes might very well be quite amazing compared to what they are now, with even spots like St. John's being more akin to the Scilly Isles.
That would be amazing if the Maritimes were on the west side of North America... imagine the streets of Yarmouth filled with Canary Island Date Palms like Nice or Marseille

It's true.. Vancouver being on the mainland would probably be colder than St. John's... but due to the size of the Asian landmass.. I don't think it would have the monsoonal climate that Vladivostok does currently and Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky is on a long peninsula so the geography is much different than it is here so that would make it different. The current climate of Gaspé, Quebec seems like it might be the most likely scenario.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:05 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,531,680 times

I made this one back in March. I think Vancouver Island would shield Vancouver from a lot of the precipitation, thus the dry summers.

Portland would be an awesome Dfb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather