U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate
A 0 0%
B 0 0%
C 4 20.00%
D 3 15.00%
E 7 35.00%
F 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 05:26 PM

7,023 posts, read 9,730,731 times

Advertisements

Nuxton features a cold arid climate. Rainfall is very scarse and winters see the majority of the precipitation. Almost an inch of rain falls in December and January each. Nuxton

Nuxton is most noted for its consistently cool min and max temperatures, with lows around freezing all year, though summers are somewhat "warmer" by day than winters. Frosts are normal in every month and snow may fall in any month, though not very much outside of winter, because those seasons are dryer.

Despite its persistent cold Nuxton has a very sunny climate with sun abundant in winter as well as summer.

Temperatures can be erratic from day to day, with fogs keeping the high temperature only just above freezing sometimes in summer. However there are days when the temperature can shoot up into the 20's °C and has even reached near 30 degrees on occasion. This usually only happens on 1-2 days at a time.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,078 posts, read 45,866,436 times
I suspect you made up a climate that just about everyone will find a reason to hate. Interested in seeing the poll results.

As for me, way too dry and cold for way too long. Freezing summers are also a deal breaker. E-, saved from an F by not having extremely painful temperatures.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,838,679 times
C. This is lower than I would rate those highland equatorial climates with 15-20C highs year-round, because it's just cool enough to potentially see snow, but warm enough that I'm disappointed.

Sunny days are a plus because it could make the temperature feel warmer... but if it was windy, then that would make the sun pretty useless.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:57 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,682,076 times
F. too cold

Old 06-06-2012, 07:59 PM

5,593 posts, read 6,960,829 times
It's kind of cool (in more ways than one). I don't like it that much. The summers are too chilly and the winters are too warm, and it's too sunny year-round. I give this one the fastly-genericizing grade of C+. It's a cut above a typical C grade climate, but the winters aren't cold or snowy enough to merit a B grade.

Some "trivia" follows: strangely enough, this climate has too much moisture to be arid or semi-arid under Koeppen (though in any case it's fair to describe 4 inches of rain per year as arid). It's polar, though, so the Koeppen type for this climate is ETs (tundra/alpine, dry summer).

I've recently stumbled across the Holdridge Life Zone system, and Nuxton is a boreal desert according to that (my dream climate is a boreal wet forest).

Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,355,509 times
Looks like it could be somewhere in the driest spots of the southern, highest Antiplano ( or somewhere in the Andes inland of the Atacama desert ).

Generally unpleasant without being truly awful, I can't help but reflect on what melancholic landscape such a climate would create. I'd been fine there for a few months but years there would really weigh on me... A solid D climate here.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 PM

5,929 posts, read 9,190,417 times
I dont think is as bad as people say it is. Temperatures are super pleasant year round. I really enjoy a 9-10celsius sunny day, and this climate haves A LOT of that! And its also very sunny, wich makes it way better.

The bad things is that it lacks variation and it lacks a warm season. I mean its mostly cool, cold year round and, while i love those temperatures, i think it will be hard to appreciate the cold if its ALL YOU GOT all year. You need warmness to appreciate cold weather, imo.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 AM

10,590 posts, read 13,578,105 times
E.. saved from failure due to lack of extreme cold.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:54 AM

22,256 posts, read 25,804,606 times
D+ because there's no summer, it's a perpetual maritime winter so snow is not very common I presume and it's arid, I hate aridity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather