Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate is more subtropical?
Turpan 6 12.77%
Eureka 41 87.23%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:26 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,664,790 times

Advertisements

Neither are in my books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 10:40 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Interesting question. I personally don't see them as either. One more west coast marine, the other hot summer continental. I guess technically they both meet some sort of subtropical definition.
Neither of them meet any definition that I use, and I classify Eureka as Temperate Mediterranean and Turpan as Hot Summer (Semi-Arid) Continental. Per Koeppen neither of them are subtropical, but it's quite possible that per Trewartha both of them are subtropical!

Of course the question is which one of them is more subtropical, or, put another way, which was is closest to being subtropical.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Neither are close, but Eureka is closer.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:57 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Eureka, by a country mile. Turpan just couldn't support the plant life Eureka does.

Koppen's 22C summer heat threshold seems arbitrary, and subjective.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:59 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,793,657 times
Eureka, though in my view I'd describe them ( unscientifically ) as mild temperate and arid continental.

For me, subtropical is any C_a climate, C_b being temperate/oceanic; D_a being hot-summer continental. I'm actually happy with Koppen's system of temperature measurement versus Trewartha's, though I myself would have just included arid climates in the other classifications and used a middle letter ( maybe a for arid, e.g. Turpan being Daa ).

Old 06-09-2012, 12:04 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,045 times
Wow, is there anywhere else on Earth that matches Turpan's stats (or another climate not nearby that's like that?). I looked around out of curiosity and couldn't find another climate with summers (summers in the 90s-100s F) like that but also have winters that much below freezing?

What other region comes close to this sort of arid continental climate?

I would say neither comes close but Eureka seems a bit more reasonable, because it seems like there are more climates that are considered "subtropical" but are closer or gradually grade into Eureka's climate (though Eureka grades into a Mediterranean climate, not a humid subtropical one), more than Turpan's climate. I'm at a loss to find something intermediate or "between" Turpan and a typical subtropical climate that grades into it.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:19 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,921,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Eureka, by a country mile. Turpan just couldn't support the plant life Eureka does.

Koppen's 22C summer heat threshold seems arbitrary, and subjective.

Since you don't have a summer heat requirement for subtropical, do you consider every temperate oceanic climate to be subtropical?

Old 06-09-2012, 12:40 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Since you don't have a summer heat requirement for subtropical, do you consider every temperate oceanic climate to be subtropical?
No. But those climates have another important feature that the humid subtropical climates lack - low annual temperature range. Much more akin to the tropics.

I don't understand why there is a summer heat requirement, it's not going to change the number of species NYC (for instance) can support.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:45 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
If I'm not mistaken corn and tomatoes require summer heat that is more typical of NYC or Kansas than Eureka. There are many species that won't grow well in 60F summer highs regardless of winter warmth. If you're going by just the number of species, then you want a biodiversity index, not a climate classification.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:55 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,921,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
No. But those climates have another important feature that the humid subtropical climates lack - low annual temperature range. Much more akin to the tropics.

I don't understand why there is a summer heat requirement, it's not going to change the number of species NYC (for instance) can support.
At what point along the US West Coast for instance do you think subtropical ends? Is most of the south coast of England subtropical in your opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather