Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 01:27 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,644,243 times

Advertisements

I don't know about you guys, but when autumn approaches, I get very energetic. Full of energy, wanting to take long walks outside, sit outside on my porch and visit with friends etc.

But, when the latter part of autumn approaches, and we get that first nip of colder Canadian air swirling through the trees I am in heaven.

I will usually go into the kitchen, prepare all types of good comfort foods, veggie soup one day, home made chili the next, and bake, oh my how I bake...but the one true thing I look forward to is......my first fire of the year! Although with my allergies, I have switched to a gas log I still anticipate the aura of my home with the fire. Smells of cinnamon and apple greet you as you walk into the house. (I have to put my liquid potpourri and crock on ).

I love to snuggle into my sweats, put on a pair of girlie socks and grab my throw and head to my reading chair in the dining room and read. A feeling of warmth, of comfort and joy steals into my very essence. The smell of vanilla wafts occasionally from the kitchen, as a cake bakes, and the scents of veggie soup bubbling in a large pot on the stove eye remind me of yesteryear and home with my parents. A feeling of completeness steals over me, bringing a gentle smile across my face. The sounds of my children and dh in distant areas of my house wrap around me, and giving me hope, joy and peace.

Last edited by aiangel_writer; 09-24-2007 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: spelling..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 01:42 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,323,200 times
Angel, I like your description of your "autumn/winter" feelings.

But to answer your question~when autumn is here, I get depressed. I have a bit of fibroymyalgia and osteo-arthritis and there are times I need to soak in a warm tub just to be able to move enough to exercise and go to work and function. The horrific hots/colds are what does me in. We can have 90 degrees one day and two mornings later we can wake up to 32 degree temps. I actually do like the beautiful autumn colors, but that also bums me out since I know soon our trees will be bare and the grass will be dead and so will my flowers. I get lethargic and want to crawl under my blankies and re-emerge in the springtime.

I realize this wasn't the question, BUT just wanted to add that I'm the total opposite when spring gets here.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:45 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,211,777 times
Default Oh, yeah...

Another wonderfully picturesque post from aiangel! Yes, I get excited about the first cold snap! It does just kinda make you want to get cozy and comfortable and enjoy a nice fire at home.

Actually, aiangel, your writing about this kind of stuff reminds me of a lady that was a staff writer for the Dallas Morning News a few years ago. (Regretably, she no longer writes for them.) Her name was Ann Melvin, and she was very descriptive in writing about the change seasons, weather, holidays, etc. I loved reading her stuff...and yours too!

Old 09-24-2007, 02:14 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,332,714 times
Autumn is like death...leaves falling off the trees, everything dying. Then the cold makes my joints ache terribly and kicks the rheumatoid arthritis into overdrive...give me spring and summer!!

Old 09-24-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Angel, I like your description of your "autumn/winter" feelings.

But to answer your question~when autumn is here, I get depressed. I have a bit of fibroymyalgia and osteo-arthritis and there are times I need to soak in a warm tub just to be able to move enough to exercise and go to work and function. The horrific hots/colds are what does me in. We can have 90 degrees one day and two mornings later we can wake up to 32 degree temps. I actually do like the beautiful autumn colors, but that also bums me out since I know soon our trees will be bare and the grass will be dead and so will my flowers. I get lethargic and want to crawl under my blankies and re-emerge in the springtime.

I realize this wasn't the question, BUT just wanted to add that I'm the total opposite when spring gets here.
Jammie, I would probably feel the same way if I lived in a more northern climate!

What helps me stay sane is how I have created my surroundings. I have evergreen shrubs in my front flower garden, also have two topiary trees on my front porch that look like real deal but are not. They have lights on them, I got them for Christmas, but use them all year long. Just don't turn on the lights till it starts getting cool outside.

Inside, I have created a tropical paradise, , or as close to one as I can get. I am in my office the majarity of my time, and the kitchen the rest. Funny, I just realized I hardly ever venture into the living room anymore even though that room is absolutely adorable!

Anyway, my office has a floor to ceiling window on each side, and the back is a huge bay window with three large windows. Plenty of natural light to come in, and this back faces South. My computers sit on the front wall by the door leading to my dining room. The section of my dining room that connects to my office is done in a gold/yellow and just to the left of my office door is another floor to ceiling window. I am sitting here on mycomputer and can look out the window, not much view, but plenty of sun, and I have a glass and metal table sitting there; on the table is a green plant that has vines cascading down the side of the table and pools on the floor, I have a cream lacy tablecloth which is square but i folded for a triangle and have it on the table, glass shows around it except on the front where it cascades down and on top of this I have a water fountain. I hear the water continually as I work. Back in my office, I have it painted what is called a coral pebble ( think melon color) and my trim is a collectors white which has a cream colored base instead of a cold white feel/look. I have curtains that hang on clear see thru rods, they do not go all the way up as I have the half moon window atop my regular windows so I hve this free of material all the time. But the curtains are a gauzy see thru type and are in a very soft muted shade of aqua with gold designs. During the summer, I have a huge flower arrangement in the middle of the windowseat which I left hardwood and painted my trim color. THe colors pop with yellows, purples, deep reds, pinks and greens and blues. Beautiful and eye catching, as a matter of fact, I have caught sight of humming birds trying to get to them! One of the side windows faces my above ground swimming pool. During the cooler months, I move all my indoor live plants into here and put many of them on my window seat. I am currently building a small area right outside the bay window and planting a crepe myrtle and other smaller things so next spring I will have a beautiful view full of live flowers. I have overhead ceiling fan that drops down and small bulbs but also have three lamps in here to lighten up even the darkest corner. I have an uplight as I call it and a table lamp and a floor lamp. During the winter, this room can be a bit chilly, and I have a wall mounted gas one burner heater which keeps it toasty. THe kitchen is just to the left of the dining room, and usually there is something good smelling cooking on the stove plus the heat from the stove and oven help to keep it toasty in here. Back to my dining room. Across the room from my water fountain, is another floor to ceiling window and here is my reading nook. I have a very feminine and comfy upholstered rocker, smaller than a regular chair, it fits me perfectly, it is a yellowish color with huge flowers on it, and a matching ottoman equally as comfy and rocks as well. I keep a throw on the chair so I can cozy up anytime. There is a floor lamp behind to add extra light to read at night in, and I can look around and see my table and buffet and I keep my buffet lamps burning and they catch the reflection of the mirror above the buffet and reflect the light back. The wall my buffet sits along is a pale orange/red. It sets off the dining room from the nook and the yellow/gold looks great with the orange/red. I have matching flower arrangements sitting on the table and buffet which are cheerful as well.

I can't believe atomsphere can make such a huge difference, but believe me, it does.

OPhh, sorry this was so long...but I wanted to show you that creating an atomsphere can do wonders for your depression. Also, on the cold, have you tried those throws that you slip into and are heated?

Old 09-24-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Another wonderfully picturesque post from aiangel! Yes, I get excited about the first cold snap! It does just kinda make you want to get cozy and comfortable and enjoy a nice fire at home.

Actually, aiangel, your writing about this kind of stuff reminds me of a lady that was a staff writer for the Dallas Morning News a few years ago. (Regretably, she no longer writes for them.) Her name was Ann Melvin, and she was very descriptive in writing about the change seasons, weather, holidays, etc. I loved reading her stuff...and yours too!
I can't rep yet, used too much in 24 hrs, so I can only say, thank you kaykay for your kind and encouraging words. I hope I managed to brighten your day with my mere words. thank you.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:35 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,699,348 times
Default How the first cold snap makes me feel...

, , , , , , ... (followed by thoughts of next spring )

Old 09-24-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Just come on down here to the South and we will get you fixed up in no time flat! That's a promise...

Old 09-24-2007, 03:07 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,211,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Well, as we seem to have discovered it's kinda a north/south thing...but some of you like it warmer than I would EVER want it to be!

My thoughts in Texas of first cold snap are more like:

It rarely gets below 20 degrees here and almost never (I have seen it a few times) gets down below ten degrees. Below about 28-30, I consider really getting a little too cold. So I don't think I would feel the same about it if I were a Canadian.

My best friend is from Chicago and her husband from Michigan. He kinda misses the cold. She claims she was NEVER warm when she lived there!

And aiangel, keep on writing!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:05 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,323,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Autumn is like death...leaves falling off the trees, everything dying. Then the cold makes my joints ache terribly and kicks the rheumatoid arthritis into overdrive...give me spring and summer!!
Southlander, you join the ranks of CC and myself. Are we the only three here who are freezing half the time? There's got to be more of us.

Kaykay and Angel, it really does seem like your preferences are whether you live in a Southern State or a Northern State or territory. NOTHING gets me warm once the cold sets in. I'm like a little frog. My DH absolutely has an attack if he gets near my cold feet or cold hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather